It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harassers of Women in Cairo Now Face Wrath of Vigilantes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Harassers of Women in Cairo Now Face Wrath of Vigilantes

www.nytimes.com

he young activists lingered on the streets around Tahrir Square, scrutinizing the crowds of holiday revelers. Suddenly, they charged, pushing people aside and chasing down a young man. As the captive thrashed to get away, the activists pounded his shoulders, flipped him around and spray-painted a message on his back: “I’m a harasser.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   
In this news story it appears that people in Egypt are starting to take a stand against the harrasing of women. And the thing is the cops don't do anything one officer even said this

They’re now doing the undoable?” a police officer joked as he watched the vigilantes chase down the young man. The officer quickly went back to sipping his tea.

What do you guys make of this story
Youtube
www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 6-11-2012 by ninjas4321 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-11-2012 by ninjas4321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by ninjas4321

Good for the vigilantes, it's time that someone, supposedly MEN, stand up for the rights of women in countries like Egypt! Why should women accept being regarded as second class citizens?

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Makes me want to head to Afghanistan and join their cause against all those excuses for men who get all horny, can't control themselves and decide solution is to kill the women - low life scum, I'm getting all worked up just typing this crap out!!! .

I'd grab my can and also chase down:

1. That police officer and write "I'm a thug who tasers 10-year olds"
2. All politicians and write "I'm a liar"
3. All Lawyers and write "I'm an oxygen thief"

Thank-you Op, I have exercised the demon.........and it felt good.

edit on 6-11-2012 by Sublimecraft because: added stuff

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
The men are animals in egypt, i've been to egypt a few times, and the first time i went over 15 years ago i got into a fight over young egyptians pestering my wife in a supermarket, and i never forget going to a holiday resort beech full of westerners in bikini's and there must of been over a 100 young egyptian men all standing in groups all day just perving at the women on the beech and police guarding the beech to control them, and the police are just as bad, its a backward culture were women are treated as objects for men to abuse and use.

Here's a example.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Lets face it, sexual harassment is rife throughout the world. However, I am happy that finally, in Egypt which has a massive history of looking the other way, there are forces at work to name and shame the perpetrators.

Perhaps a total removal of honour would be effective at preventing this sort of harassment from continuing. However, having watched the youtube video in OPs original post, there are some, it would appear, who need to be physically prevented from enacting perverted behaviors. The fellow masturbating in the street for instance... Cut it off. That will solve his particular issue.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by wiser3
Why should women accept being regarded as second class citizens?

Why? Because many women wish it to be that way.

the mother..., told the BBC.
"By then I had thrown the acid. It was her destiny to die this way."

Example1

When her mother found she had become pregnant, she insisted her daughter commit suicide, and even bought the unwed teen a razor so she could slash her own wrists. When the daughter refused, Amira Abu Hanhan Qaoud took matters into her own hands and murdered Rofayda to restore her family’s “honor.”

Example2

Two Muslim women in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh helped each other use ropes to choke the life from their daughters after the two young women returned home after marrying Hindu men, said police. "We killed them because they brought shame to our community,"

Example3

“Then I stab her, stab her neck,” she confessed.
“She said, ‘No Mom!’
I said, ‘It’s for your good. Let me finish.’ ”
Thank goodness the girl's father had the sense to stop the attack.

Example4

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

So because the mother treats her daughter like dirt it is the daughter that wants to be treated like that????

You make no sense whatsoever!

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheMaverick
The men are animals in egypt, i've been to egypt a few times, and the first time i went over 15 years ago i got into a fight over young egyptians pestering my wife in a supermarket, and i never forget going to a holiday resort beech full of westerners in bikini's and there must of been over a 100 young egyptian men all standing in groups all day just perving at the women on the beech and police guarding the beech to control them, and the police are just as bad, its a backward culture were women are treated as objects for men to abuse and use.

Firstly, as the OP states, not ALL men are like that in Egypt.

And I know plenty of people who have visited that beautiful country and not had these problems.

But, this is a country that has faced decades or more of authoritarian religious rule. What do you expect the mentality of the older generations to be? You have to breed these behaviours out, and it takes generations to do it, education, legal challenges and examples being made of many.

You cannot expect a nation to change overnight. It takes generations to bring a former religiously controlled nation even close to a free people - there will be groups like Taliban who fear freedom from religious doctrine in all these nations.

I for one applaud those vigilantes. This is a part of the evolution of that country. It's shows that people are moving on and becoming more modern and accepting. This is just a little move in the right direction, but used well it could hasten the transition to a real modern and free society.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

I agree and I too applaud the efforts that these men make and the fact that they could face severe repercussions make their actions even more laudable, but what I find disheartening is the attitude of people like alfa1, they believe in the oppression and abuse of women and attempt to justify it by blaming it on the women who are being abused!
edit on 6/11/12 by wiser3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   

reply to post by alfa1

So because the mother treats her daughter like dirt it is the daughter that wants to be treated like that????

You underestimate parental and societal indoctrination! It can be very powerful, especially in a world where things are made to appear black and white. People may not like it but they accept it anyway because it's "their way."
edit on 6/11/12 by AdamsMurmur because: (no reason given)

eta: it's good to see some vigilante justice though. People taking responsibility for themselves.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Just so we are clear, do you have a point by showing your one off signs of insanity among those particular people?

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by AdamsMurmur

NO, I do not underestimate anything, I have grown up in Africa and have seen such things first hand! I just believe that the time has come for humankind to move forwards and not stagnate in beliefs such as those that cause this type of indecency! As long as there is one person standing supporting this kind of action it will continue! It must be stopped!

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   

reply to post by AdamsMurmur

NO, I do not underestimate anything, I have grown up in Africa and have seen such things first hand! I just believe that the time has come for humankind to move forwards and not stagnate in beliefs such as those that cause this type of indecency! As long as there is one person standing supporting this kind of action it will continue! It must be stopped!
Well of course. When parents and society stop telling their children and youths that that kind of behaviour is okay, it will really start to diminish by the time the next generation is on the front stage.

They only do it because they believe they have the authority to.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Deleted wrong thread!
edit on 6/11/12 by wiser3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   

reply to post by alfa1

I think that what he is getting at is that in many of those societies, the matriarchs are just as guilty at perpetuating the belief that females are second class citizens and/or property.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

It is difficult to call them a "matriarch" with how extremely patriarchal the society is.

The women cited by that user are displaying the values of the culture they are in. Values dictated, by force, by the men.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
About time! Big ups to the vigilantes, who are sick and tired of the BS!

Sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands.

Originally posted by TheMaverick
Here's a example.

That was awful to watch, glad some of these punks are getting their comeuppance!
edit on 6-11-2012 by Komonazmuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by NavyDoc

It is difficult to call them a "matriarch" with how extremely patriarchal the society is.

The women cited by that user are displaying the values of the culture they are in. Values dictated, by force, by the men.

Fair enough. Perhaps I should have used "mothers" and/or "grandmothers." You would be surprised how some of the older ladies in a society can be some of the most enthusiastic enforcers of the underlying culture even if it is abusive towards women. Abuse coming full circle? Stockholm syndrome?

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ninjas4321

Good. About time those scum bags got some of their own medicine. It is horrible that you can't have a woman stand in a crowd in Egypt without being practically raped to death. I say instead of paint, impale them on rusty iron spikes up their asses.

Some of the most criminal and malignant behavior people can perpetrate. Needs a harsh punishment.
edit on 6-11-2012 by manykapao because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join