It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Voter Suppression Effort Targets Transgender People

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   

A training manual for a group called True the Vote “features a transphobic image that claims transgender people are fraudulent voters and should be denied the right to vote,” says a press release from the National Center for Transgender Equality.

The image itself can be seen here: Tea Party Group Trying to Deny Transgender Voters

I'm not going to spend a lot of time arguing in this thread. If you have never had a friend or relative, someone you love, experience the reality (as opposed to the cartoon, uninformed image) of the condition, perhaps you simply can't understand. If you have and you rejected them anyway, they are better off without you. So I don't have much to say here. I'll just end with this quote:

"Trans people are resilient," Keisling said. "For trans people, voting is not just a right and a responsibility, for us it is also an important part of how we are winning our equality. Scare tactics like this won't keep us from that."

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by sepermeru

A training manual for a group called True the Vote “features a transphobic image that claims transgender people are fraudulent voters and should be denied the right to vote,” says a press release from the National Center for Transgender Equality.

The image itself can be seen here: Tea Party Group Trying to Deny Transgender Voters

I'm not going to spend a lot of time arguing in this thread. If you have never had a friend or relative, someone you love, experience the reality (as opposed to the cartoon, uninformed image) of the condition, perhaps you simply can't understand. If you have and you rejected them anyway, they are better off without you. So I don't have much to say here. I'll just end with this quote:

"Trans people are resilient," Keisling said. "For trans people, voting is not just a right and a responsibility, for us it is also an important part of how we are winning our equality. Scare tactics like this won't keep us from that."

Just wow...

A ROBOTHREAD.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I don't care about your opinions, morals, religion, sexual orientation or gender status, EVERY law abiding American citizen has the right to vote, even the idiots (not calling transgenders idiots). But yeah, that's my opinion and that's a fact.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Uniceft17
I don't care about your opinions, morals, religion, sexual orientation or gender status, EVERY law abiding American citizen has the right to vote, even the idiots (not calling transgenders idiots). But yeah, that's my opinion and that's a fact.

Do pray tell, where is that "right" you speak of? Just curious on your understanding actually and would love for you to point to it. Not arguing it, just wanting to see your understanding here.....

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by sepermeru

Despicable move by a despicable party. America should be on the list as one of the worse transgressors of human equality/rights.
edit on 11/6/2012 by MonkeyFishFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy

Originally posted by Uniceft17

Do pray tell, where is that "right" you speak of? Just curious on your understanding actually and would love for you to point to it. Not arguing it, just wanting to see your understanding here.....

I don't have time to explain "having the right to vote". Use google. 18 years plus. Not a felon. American Citizen. Right to vote. Simple.

www.righttovote.org...
Google Search: Right to vote.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   
It's showing a man using someone else's ID and pretending to be her. Anyone outraged over this is either a complete idiot or trying to get attention. It's not encouraging anyone to bar transvestites from voting.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
It's showing a man using someone else's ID and pretending to be her. Anyone outraged over this is either a complete idiot or trying to get attention. It's not encouraging anyone to bar transvestites from voting.

So let's break this "it's nothing to do with trans issues" argument down.

Someone decides to pretend to vote as a woman, but makes no effort to look like a woman, and just puts on a dress, and poll watchers need to be warned that it looks suspicious? Who would even do that? "I know, I'll go commit fraud, but make no effort whatsoever to get away with it!"

Transgender people often have IDs that don't all match. This is an attempt to take advantage of this fact to suggest that people who seem gender atypical should be denied the right to vote.

new topics

top topics

join