It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My moon pics with a iphone 4 and a telescope worth under $600

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by elouina

nice work
Is that without a telescope ?
If it is thats wicked if you can make a steady rig to connect it to a pair of binoculars you could get some nice close pics

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by scorpiosin

k got some more pictures ready to go some of my best pictures are to large to post but I found some that are small so here they are

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by jaffer44
reply to post by elouina

nice work
Is that without a telescope ?
If it is thats wicked if you can make a steady rig to connect it to a pair of binoculars you could get some nice close pics

Yes this is without a telescope. This was only my second attempt at video recording the moon. And the first for a full moon. Plus I have no clue what settings to be using. I just noticed a new one that may possibly be better. Plus my tripod is a bit ancient and was drifting on me and made it difficult to zoom in any further.

Your new closeups are pretty clear.

edit on 6-11-2012 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Real nice work. I have a Celestron 8 and a Nexus Digital eyepiece, and these pictures rival the quality. It just goes to show you that you do not need expensive gear to get great results, just some ingenuity! You could spend thousands, and sure, you could improve the photography, but certainly not linearly.

I have heard that you can really increase the accuracy of your RA clock motor by running it off a reasonably quality power inverter. They run off 12v (Car Battery) and synthesize the AC 60hz (or 50hz, depending upon where you live) which is more accurate than what you get off the grid. A must for field work, but I want to try it at home as well.
edit on 6-11-2012 by charlyv because: content

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by charlyv

Thanks for the hints I got the inverter and stuff
I don't have the motors yet I'm getting the camera next that will motivate me to get them so I can do long exposure
I do a lot of camping so I take the scope with me it's a great way to spend the night whir by the fire so I run power for laptop and charge phone

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by elouina

I set my brightness by setting it manually on a bright spot on the moon and set focus on manual also

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by charlyv
Real nice work. I have a Celestron 8 and a Nexus Digital eyepiece, and these pictures rival the quality. It just goes to show you that you do not need expensive gear to get great results, just some ingenuity! You could spend thousands, and sure, you could improve the photography, but certainly not linearly.

I have heard that you can really increase the accuracy of your RA clock motor by running it off a reasonably quality power inverter. They run off 12v (Car Battery) and synthesize the AC 60hz (or 50hz, depending upon where you live) which is more accurate than what you get off the grid. A must for field work, but I want to try it at home as well.

I did almost buy one of them but they were really pricey over here in oz
I liked the goto system lol but it's kind of a cheat lol
edit on 6-11-2012 by jaffer44 because: Wrong wording

edit on 6-11-2012 by jaffer44 because: Add my sit itched

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by charlyv

Are you able to post some pics ?
I wouldn't mind seeing the did between them

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by jaffer44

Very good results for such low cost equipment!
Some of the best Iphone moon shots I have seen I think.
Nice pic of Aristarchus and Herodotus.

Here are a couple I took with cannon 550d and meade etx125pe scope:

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
This is amazing, if I ever get out of the suburbs one of the things I want to invest in is a good telescope.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Wow that is really beautiful!
I love the colour of the third picture from the end
(in the link in your first post)
edit on 6-11-2012 by LiberalSceptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Thanks for the photos to compare and the praise from you all.
I've been told that when I go to the Dslr that I won't need to use the lens ?
Do they me the lens of the scope or camera ?
And if you were going to upgrade your camera what do you think you would buy ?

Maybe we should start putting hints and tips and show pics of our setups.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Great pics how do you hold the camera still?

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaffer44

Thanks for the photos to compare and the praise from you all.
I've been told that when I go to the Dslr that I won't need to use the lens ?
Do they me the lens of the scope or camera ?
And if you were going to upgrade your camera what do you think you would buy ?

Maybe we should start putting hints and tips and show pics of our setups.

Yeah,with my dslr setup you connect the body of the camera to the scope with an adapter,so the scope becomes the lens.
Some setups allow you to insert a telescope eyepiece between scope and camera for extra magnification.
Hmm not sure on which camera I would upgrade to just yet though-I have only had my 550d for just under a year,and I am happy with it for now-It does hd video at 60fps which is good for shoooting the moon and playing back in slo mo.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   

ok got some more pictures for you all to see this group is for the mods and the little bonus they gave me.
If I get enough interest from people I will take the time to lower the res on my best pics and post them so come on folks motivate me post your pics or keep the stars and flags coming and I will post some even better ones

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
thanks for the tips I will check the camera you have out.
I have done some hd video with web cam witch came out well but it didnt give me a lot of zoom witch is why I have gone back to using Iphone for now.
Do you still get lots of zoom using your camera on video ?
I have a digitial microscope and am thinking I mighrt try that out next full moon but know I will have all sorts of issues with focus lol if it works though I should be able to get some close up shots if I can get the scope to stay still.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

I quickly hit your link before scrolling down at your posted pictures.

First words out of my mouth were, "Whoa."

That is our Good Moon all right, no mistaking it.

Is that your picture of Saturn as well?

Edit:
= Is this one REAL? LIES!
edit on 6-11-2012 by ThinkingCap because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

yes the picture of saturn is mine but it was in the early days so its not the best.
I am waiting for the moon to go away at moment so I can have another try at it now that I've got everything more stable and adjustments sorted.
So hopefuly in 2 days time I might get a new picture of it up in this forum with it nice and clear for you to see.
Yes the picture is edited but the moon is a picture I took on that camping trip to the coorong so all ive done is added both pics into one

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage
Great pics how do you hold the camera still?

I got a elbow and knuckle joint off a old projector mount and clamp it to main body.
it has a pole mount so that clamps around the main body of the focus assembly and gives me all the fine adjustments I need to get it to line up with eyepiece. I then bought a $2 spidery looking thing from cheapy shop there sold as generic phone holders for cars that clamps the camera to the projector mount
the spidery thing was the best investment I've made lol I use it to video 4x4ing and kyaking its great because I can make anything about the size of a camera fit no matter what it is.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

here is a pic of how I have mounted it I have done a few mods since this pic but it will give you an idea of how

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join