It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NOAA responds to demands to nuke hurricanes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Mods, not sure if this thread should live here, so, if it needs moving please relocate to approporiate place.

Apparantly it seems NOAA is getting requests from people in the public to Nuke hurricanes to reduce their catastrophic effect .

NO: We will not nuke hurricanes. And a US weather agency has responded to public pressure by explaining why.

I am sure that there is some pretty stoopid people out there, but come on, I do not think I have seen anything as stupid as this. Have people lost the plot?

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) has led its Hurricane Research Division's frequently asked questions page with an extraordinary - even for America - statement: "During each hurricane season, there always appear suggestions that one should simply use nuclear weapons to try and destroy the storms."

I like the way " even for America" is slipped in. Because "only in America" is a well known phrase

So for any one wondering if it really is possible to subdue a hurricane by nuking it, the answer is clearly ....

The main difficulty with using explosives to modify hurricanes is the amount of energy required," he writes. "A fully developed hurricane can release heat energy at a rate of 5 to 20x1013 watts and converts less than 10 per cent of the heat into the mechanical energy of the wind. The heat release is equivalent to a 10-megaton nuclear bomb exploding every 20 minutes."

So I am just putting this out there just any case any members had ever postulated this very Question.

Source

edit on 5-11-2012 by magma because: spell , format

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
That just seems like a really really really ridiculously bad idea.

Really... bad.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
The only nuclear weapon that could possibly break up a Hurricane...and I doubt IT would....has never even been produced to anyone's knowledge. It damn sure has never been tested above or below ground. The whole planet would know if it had been. Czar Bomba was intended to detonate at 100 Megatons...not 50. They reduced it for pure fear of what it would actually do at full strength.

Even that though...the 50 Megaton monster one can google the images of...was only blowing a pure fireball about the size of Paris proper...not even the metro area. Sandy was 1600 miles across at the widest point I heard before making landfall. Odds are very very good that all a nuke..even a 100 megaton nightmare nuke...would do is make a deadly Hurricane into a radioactive one that DID kill everything it touched after that. The fallout from water after the blast alone would be unthinkable.

Yeah..I agree with NOAA. If Mankind wants to commit suicide, there are faster and less painful ways to achieve it.

Behold...The largest weapon ever detonated on this planet...and it wouldn't be enough, IMO. It wouldn't even slow it down.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I could see us trying to nuke a hurricane. F# that hurricane, this is Amerikhuh!

I could see it going horribly wrong creating a category 10 nuclear powered beast storm.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
OK, for real. Other than beer swilling rednecks, who really thinks we should nuke a hurricane?

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Who would in there right minds would think up such ridiculous idea....oh wait...us Americans!!

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Yeah, because that is what we need...a Radioactive Hurricane.

Good idea Humans.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by RicketyCricket
That just seems like a really really really ridiculously bad idea.

Really... bad.

So you are saying we should expect the administration to put it into action.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
why don't we just send in Chuck Norris?

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by sylent6

We have intel that that hurricane is working on developing nuclear weapons. Gotta get it first!

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
This is something I'd suggest after having 1 (or 10) too many beers.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
OK, for real. Other than beer swilling rednecks, who really thinks we should nuke a hurricane?

Surely beer swilling rednecks wouldn't be that stupid.

It does blow my mind to think people could actually think about nuking a hurricane.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
No, wait! I saw it in a movie and it really worked. They've also used them successfully on earthquakes, Earth core meltdowns, asteroids, alien invasions, and from keeping the Sun from going nova.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Maybe they should just nuke HARRP. That way with one small device they could prevent hurricanes, tsunamis, earthquakes, chemtrails, sky sounds, weather modification, mind controlled assassins, and what must be a ridiculously large power bill.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Hey, I never suggested nuking a hurricane! Shooting it maybe....

Seriously, that has been a joke around here for a long time, and I would wager hard cold cash the requests are coming from somewhere in the vicinity of Washington DC.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Explanation: Uhmmm?

Hurricanes are created by low pressure systems, specifically centered around the "Eye of the Hurricane"!

The "eye" has winds rotating between 75mph and 150mph!

A nuclear weapon detonated inside the "eye" will create an OVERBURST pressure SHOCK WAVE that travels outwards at the speed of sound [760mph aprox] and that has an average over burst pressure of upwards of 10psi per square meter of surface area at 5miles range with a 10Mton nuke! This may internally disrupt a very SMALL hurricane.

Surely this can be simulated and we can be shown the affects of this VISUALLY so there is no longer any ambiguity to the matter!

And thats just if we 'nuke' the "eye of the hurricane" ... we can of course try other approaches!

Such as shaped nuclear charges that can direct 90% of the blast in ONE direction and maybe that could be used to drive a shockwave wedge through the eye of the hurricane!

Clearly this is just trying to prevent civilian use of nukes [which reduces the amount of nukes they have available for wars etc!].

Personal Disclosure: Forget the hurricanes ... they are JUST a bit too BIG .... Go After the Tropical Storms ok!

edit on 6-11-2012 by OmegaLogos because: Edited to fix spelling.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Every time they use directional radio to push up on one spot on the atmosphere to steer weather fronts.....that portion of the atmosphere they are pushing up gets blown away by the solar wind.

Some scientist should start crunching the numbers looking at all the countries using directional radio to push up on the atmosphere steering weather...to calculate when we'll end life on Earth when the electrical currents above our head will short to ground.....when we're critically low on atmosphere. Such as today where over half of the ionosphere is gone.

Nukes stopping hurricanes......like they said..not enough power.

join