It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The poor is not your enemy. Open your eyes!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by 11235813213455

I didn't decide to get laid off,someone like you betrayed my trust to save money.

I didn't ask for $4 gallon gas,so I ride a bicycle.

You are not in control of your life,neither am I,your fate is in the hands of those who pay you.

You have no control of your inflows,only your outflows.

fkit

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints

Originally posted by AussieAmandaC

What would be sad is when one really needs and asks.......and no one answers.

How will anyone hear when millions who are simply taking a free ride scream loudest?

That's funny, cause I thought those who screamed the loudest were the poor pretending to be middle class.

Everyone wants to believe they are middle class...But this eagerness...has led the definition to be stretched like a bungee cord — used to defend/attack/describe everything... -Dante Chinni

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by intelligenthoodlum33

Remove wealth from the equation and what do you have? ......A HUMAN! Remove poverty from the equation and what do you have?......A HUMAN! Go figure!

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by intelligenthoodlum33

Everyone wants to believe they are middle class...But this eagerness...has led the definition to be stretched like a bungee cord — used to defend/attack/describe everything... -Dante Chinni

Well,
It's obvious that everyone seems to think that the middle class is just a bunch of low income morons who are too stupid to know they are poor. It's been insinuated that I'm either too poor or too stupid do actually understand where I am in life. So why don't you intellectuals clear it all up for us poor, eager, wannabe middle class saps?

Why don't you give us a precise definition of just who is poor and who is middle class then we can see how correct Dante Chinni is.

Until then I'll continue to speak from experience and common sense instead of bleating shallow platitudes about the inferiority of anyone who see's the actual point of this little agenda.

edit on 5-11-2012 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by MyHappyDogShiner
reply to post by 11235813213455

I didn't decide to get laid off,someone like you betrayed my trust to save money.

I didn't ask for $4 gallon gas,so I ride a bicycle.

You are not in control of your life,neither am I,your fate is in the hands of those who pay you.

You have no control of your inflows,only your outflows.

fkit

Yes I feel for you but you are not unique nor should you be treated as such.

I got laid off after 10 years of employment from a computer engineering job.

Floundered for a year got a higher paying job and got laid off again after a month of employment.

House got foreclosed.

Car got repoed.

Got so bad my family only had none pack of bologna to eat for an entire week. Breakfast lunch and dinner.

Borrowed money to move thousands of miles looking for work only to get a job selling windshields.

Filed for bankruptcy.

Damn near filed for divorce.

Now....? I am where I am because I refused to stay on my ass when I got knocked down. How did I do that? I stopped making bad decisions that were making a bad situation worse and started making a series of correct decisions that positively effected my life.

I'm doing better now than if I would have been projected to be doing if I stayed at that original computer engineering job and I got no one else to give credit to but myself.

Don't tell me someone else controls my life. I am in charge of my own success or failure. And the same goes for you.
edit on 5-11-2012 by 11235813213455 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints

Originally posted by intelligenthoodlum33

Well,
It's obvious that everyone seems to think that the middle class is just a bunch of low income morons who are too stupid to know they are poor. It's been insinuated that I'm either too poor or too stupid do actually understand where I am in life. So why don't you intellectuals clear it all up for us poor, eager, wannabe middle class saps?

Why don't you give us a precise definition of just who is poor and who is middle class then we can see how correct Dante Chinni is.

Until then I'll continue to speak from experience and common sense instead of bleating shallow platitudes about the inferiority of anyone who see's the actual point of this little agenda.

edit on 5-11-2012 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

It was you who said you can't afford to take care of a family or send a kid to college.

Later, you corrected me and proclaimed to indeed be middle class.

Finally, you told us about your good deeds in helping the poor, but closed the post by again branding them your enemy.

I am at a total loss as to how to see you or how you wish to be seen...which is cool with me, cause this thread isn't about either of us.

As for a definition of middle class, I say do an internet search, but be warned that people around here are sticklers when it comes to sources.

Lastly, I am no intellectual, because I didn't understand a thing you said in that last sentence.

Let's just agree to disagree, as these back and forths have already taken too much unwarranted time.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Would someone please help me out here? I missed ranking assembly and am at a loss at which CLASS I fall in. I am most assuredly not wealthy yet my family and I eat every day. Does that mean I am, eh..uhm...middle class???

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Is it not a myth anyway that people can stay on welfare "forever?" Isn't there a limit that can vary from state to state, but is typically five years lifetime total? SSI is another matter, but that's for disabled people. It's true that there are people who cheat the system and benefit unduly, but outside of SSI isn't welfare limited?

Peace.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by solidguy
The poor are not the enemy.

The enemy is the government that enables them, and makes it comfortable to be poor.

Obamaphones, food stamps, welfare, earned income tax credits, etc...are all actions of our government to keep the poor comfortable. When the poor are comfortable, what gives them any incentive to improve their lot?

Take a test and all the people with the signs will work for food. Take them up on it and see how many will actually work for food.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I'm almost afraid to stick my toe in here but here goes nothing...

Tomorrow I go for my interview at social security bc I'm applying for long term disability. I have been unable to work for 4 years, but bc of pride and stigmatism I've refused to apply up until now. I don't receive any other aid no food stamps etc. I had a job from age 16 on. I worked very hard and made a decent living in human services. When my health problems started, I was in denial. I kept working and pushing myself bc I refused to be a burden to anyone, not my family or my country. I've really struggled over the last couple of years and I've come to a point where I can barely get out of bed, my savings is gone and I've got nothing left to sell. Even though I know I paid into social security all the years I worked, I STILL feel guilty about receiving a government check. The STIGMATISM surrounding it is palpable. I see the looks people get at the grocery store for using an EBT card. It really bothers me. I guess bc I used to be one of the people who judged, who sat on the other side of the line and complained. I'm still pretty upset about the whole thing. Maybe part of it is just being mad that my body has given out on me way too early. Maybe it's bc I'll never get to go back to the job I absolutely loved. But the biggest part is being looked down upon and being lumped into a category of lazy people with their hands out. That's not me... But it doesn't matter bc I will be judged anyway. Hell I'm even judging myself. Maybe it is easy for some to kick back and live off everyone else, but speaking as someone who has to get a check, it's not easy for us all.

And if one day I am able to go back to work, believe me I will, bc to me this is like a prison sentence.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
The poor don't get as much as you think they do, at least the honest ones anyway. The dishonest poor know every trick there is to get free stuff. Most families just get help with food and medical coverage for their kids. The cost of medical care is the big problem with that, medical care is getting way out of line. There is a lot of fraud by providers of medical services in this country also, scam companies are billing for services not even preformed. We have to get rid of the con artists of every class of people, present society seems to allow these scammers to keep operating. Sure, some people abuse the foodstamp system but that has always happened and it is actually better now than it was in the eighties.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I think allot of people do not understand economics....

What baffles me, is poverty is a condition of this system part of the equation.. You have Money circulating either your working for it, its working for you, or you do not have it..... Or maybe just a little bit of it...

If your poor, I would suggest living off the land, I would say a very large population of the United states has no idea, how to grow their own food.. Its easier to get food stamps... As far as this sociological out burst on ats about a status in class, I think if I was poor, I would be doing everything I could, working hard etc, at finding a job, working harder at work, or trying to invent something, whatever to not be poor...

Oh one other thing I would like to explain about these miracles being promised from one side of the government, endless supplies of food stamps and welfare checks because they will raise income taxes on the rich... I know this maybe really hard to understand but I will do my best.....

are you ready?

here it goes.. This maybe really hard to understand so I will leave some space here for you to think about it til it does... I really hope it does....

THE RICH DO NOT PAY INCOME TAXES....

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by SilverStarGazer

I went from working all the time to not being able to do much at all because of a car accident. If I can ever get my health back and epilepsy under control, I will gladly go back to work. DSS does not pay much, especially when you have problems where you cannot do things yourself and need to hire help sometimes for things you used to do.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by AussieAmandaC

45 million people needing food stamps. So where does that money eventually end up. I know you have a problem with the bottom feeders putting their children to bed with something in their bellies so what if it ends up with corporations that produce food products, and farmers. Because that 200$ a month those food stamps allow goes straight to the grocery store for groceries. NOT toilet paper, shampoo, beer, or tampons; it is only for FOOD.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Hey op, what a bunch of crock.
I am neither poor nor rich, but I can honestly say that over the last four years there has been more hatred directed at the rich, so I don't want to hear about your "woe is me" sob story.
Poverty is relative, and I guarantee you that the poor people in other countries do not have the luxury of posting threads on Internet blog sites.

By the way, which smart phone do you own?

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   
OP... I think you're being a bit general when you say "the poor". There are poor people who work hard and try to contribute to society. There are people who are poor because they are sick or disabled. These people are not anybody's enemy. (to use your parlance) I'd argue that a good percentage of these people are noble and heroic.
There are poor neighborhoods in my city where the people plant flowers and keep the yards and streets immaculate.

Then there are poor people who are lazy, selfish and think they're entitled to everything. I see these types every day.
They have utterly destroyed entire neighborhoods in my city because they're too damn lazy to pick up any trash.
Pick it up...hell, they throw it everywhere. Plant flowers or trees? No, that takes a bit of effort.
These people take and take and take. In a sense, one could say that these people are an enemy to society as a whole. (Again, I'm using your OP verbiage) They're parasites. They contribute absolutely nothing. They're too lazy and selfish to contribute anything.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Yes you are right and I sympathize with your situation. I won't be getting any huge amount and if it weren't for the fact that my family owns the house I live in outright I would be in an even worse situation. I had the foresight to pay off my car immediately when I could no longer work. Not that it matters much since I can't drive very far and even if I do go somewhere I usually need help. I can't stand for more than 5 minutes before the pain is so bad I start to get dizzy and come close to passing out. Doing simple things like grocery shopping, dishes, etc is a monumental task. I do what I can the best way I can. I may only be able to wash 1 dish at a time and it may take me all day to finish but I still do it. I live alone so if I don't do it no one else will, and even if I could afford help I probably wouldn't hire someone bc it's very hard to find people you can trust. The job I had was in residential care but I'm quite familiar with the conditions of most types of care and help. It's scary how many disabled people are taken advantage of and abused/neglected.

I sincerely wish you all the best, and if you ever need someone to talk to just U2U me I'm on here almost everyday

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
Hey op, what a bunch of crock.
I am neither poor nor rich, but I can honestly say that over the last four years there has been more hatred directed at the rich, so I don't want to hear about your "woe is me" sob story.
Poverty is relative, and I guarantee you that the poor people in other countries do not have the luxury of posting threads on Internet blog sites.

By the way, which smart phone do you own?

Your hilarious! It seems you missed the entire point of this thread. Did you even read it? Where in it do you hear me give a 'sob story'? I never even stated my economic status, because it's irrelevant.

Also the hatred you've been hearing lately hasn't been directed at the rich, it's been directed at the greedy. They are not one in the same.

In fact, my OP never directed any venom whatsoever to the rich. Nope, didn't mention them at all, because they aren't the purpose of this thread either.

I wanted to remind us all that being poor does not mean that your lazy or feel as though your entitled. Being poor is not comfortable...it's humilating. However, the recent trend has used this as a way to divide and conquer us. Some buy into it...I refuse to.

By the way, my phone is awesome.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I have to head out to work, so if I don't reply immediately, I'm not ignoring ya.

Say NO to divide and conquer!

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrantedBail
reply to post by AussieAmandaC

I know you have a problem with the bottom feeders putting their children to bed with something in their bellies

Crikey! I think you misunderstood what I was saying completely.............

The fact that 45 million people NEED food stamps means SOMEONE hasn't done or been doing, their job properly at all, namely those in charge of running the place.
45 M-I-L-L-I-O-N!!!!

It's not the people, who have been convinced they NEED someone to 'run' them into the ground, who have done this.
Or perhaps it is the people who have done this to themselves? That doesn't make sense. That doesn't sound right, who would do that deliberately to themselves?

Children should not be going hungry anywhere on the planet (in a country such as America it is even more absurd), nor should their parents go hungry so they can feed their kids.
I've had to hold out my hand too. The disgust I felt for myself at having to, I'll never forget it.
The attitude of 'single' mother from some people would have dragged me further into the pit of self recrimination, and that's the way they like it. You are pliable when you are weak, and not all are so strong yet, to climb out.

When you are strong, you are there explicitly for the weak, no grey areas.
My situation got better but I never will forget that I am one of them.

I don't like money (it is worthless) and I'm not bound by it, are you?
We live simply and enjoy what we have while we've got it, and we share with who ever asks or needs, when it gets lean, we don't turn on each other.
I consider us wealthy beyond imagining and am very grateful.

The people at the top get more (wealthy/healthy), the people at the bottom get less (healthy/poorer), doesn't this strike you as complete crap? From what the Op insinuates it's the middle class that get's to hold it all together, and perhaps they do. They've been convinced they can have the American Dream, I'm sorry refresh my memory, how many have had their dream confiscated so far?
They are more bound by money than the bottom feeders or the top dwellers,

I hope they tax the crap out of your rich people, because they all made their money off the backs of those 'poor' people and the land that was for ALL people, and are responsible for their well fare just as much as anyone is.
It is the time for all of them to give some of it back. Truly it is.
Can you trust your government to spend it wisely?

If it was up to me, housing complete with electricity and hot water, food, medical (non contaminated) and schooling (non contaminated) would all be for free everywhere for everyone. Who will pay? you ask...
Have you not already? and your parents and their parents and their parents? Have they not already earnt that right for you? I say they have, but I am no one. This is how the elite function, why shouldn't you get to do the same?

You would not have a distinction in your society then of low, middle and upper at all. They don't want that in reality.

Now ask yourself, could you live in a world where you were never better than the bloke next to you, but equal? Never more, never better, just equal.

It is not wrong for you to be protective of your achievements and all your hard work to crawl out of the gutter op, just remember humility.

Try to not let your emotions turn it into a personal vendetta against those who have yet to stand on their own and be as strong hearted as you obviously are, they could not knock you down to death and you have survived. You should feel proud of that.

This is because some knob at the top decided you could pay more, would pay more, to keep what you've got, you are a properly motivated human and worth much to them. Gold

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join