It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Sub Skirts Coast

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Russian Akula-class subs were found shadowing our British Nuclear fleet off Scotland in March 2012, from what I heard the Russian subs were not detected the first 3 days they had sad there, and it's now known the Russians have copied our Nuclear subs signature from the engines, and now that means the Russians can follow, or pick up our subs no matter where they are.
A few American people told me on here a few months back that America was well ahead of Russia to prevent an attack on the USA, o yer? dream on, Russia I know are at least 14 years ahead in defence area's because Russia kept on building and development when Cold war ended, but America cut systems back because of costs.

edit on 5-11-2012 by Alternative4u because: Keyboard problems

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
And Russia was just a guest at this years RIMPAC event.
They even docked at Pearl Harbor .

So,. unless Russia shows they are an enemy.. they are not

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by real_one
Russia > Usa

I know a lot of you will hate to admit it but the days of the USA super power are over, even the "old worn out" Russian Navy isn't scared of you all anymore

you didn't read the link I posted about nuclear missiles did you?

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alternative4u
America cut systems back because of costs.

edit on 5-11-2012 by Alternative4u because: Keyboard problems

Right, and I guess the R&D of new tech that we have actually seen announced in the last ten years is all imaginary, and Area 51 is actually a mirage

When we look at some of the tech that has actually made it to public awareness, you can guarantee that the US military is at least a decade ahead of that, at all times.

If you think the US just "stopped" developing weaponry at the end of the cold war, you're mistaken.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

It doesn't matter if it did happen. It was pretty much standard operating procedure for many many years, and we're moving back into that way of operating.

As for her tracking a US boomer, yeah right, good luck with that. The only Ohio class subs that have ever been tracked, including by US subs that had an idea of what to look for, had mechanical issues. One had a pump go bad, and was radiating noise from that. The other had just come out of drydock, and one of the yard dogs had left a tool box in the hull. In that case, IIRC, she found the noise herself doing a 180 to check her baffles as she went to sea.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Well if the illuminati really do take over the USA then let's hope that the Russians attack our nuclear subs.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual
reply to post by jibeho

A right-wing blog is not a credible news source.
Are there any other more VALID and UNBIASED sources for this? If not, my opinion is that it's baseless BS.

We share this except I feel the exact same way about leftwing blogs being VALID & UNBIASED right up to and including anything put out by the alphabet networks - funny that!

Back to the subject at hand. Our SOSUS networks surely detected these long before they even got into the Atlantic giving our Boomers more than sufficient time to manuever away undetected while providing very good training for crews on our attack subs. I've read several post cold war books detailing the trailing of Russian subs leaving port all the way to returning to port for weeks at a time unbeknownst to the Russian crews - door to door as it were.

One can bet where a Russian sub is located that a US sub is not far behind especially if its this side of the Atlantic.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
It doesnt matter if their subs are as advanced as ours, its not like we are having sub races out there...it only has to be good enough to get in and deliver its payload and id say 200 miles is more than close enough for that. just because it was dectected doesnt really matter. If it was here to fire a missle it would have been all over for the inteded target/targets

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Ok, good post and very scary at the same time, But what goes around comes around No?

I believe these " incidents" cancel each other out like bad boys in a bar.

Once they realize that nobody wins then they all call it a day in my positive way of thinking.

Like other posters here have mentioned and I agree, there are subs all over the world right now and lots of them are the big bad boys, others will be those pesky Chinese Rubber subs that are almost impossible to detect.

We the general public throughout the world are being played and mentally abused by all the military forces in the world as I type this rant.

Funny enough we are paying for it with our labour and taxes and they just stick it to us.

To the OP S&F

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Class A reply Zap, do you suppose now that Russia is in bed with China that some unknown upgrades may have taken place?

Also I was wondering if 200 miles out to sea is actually a concern, isnt that free space for anyone to travel or is this an act of aggression?

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by real_one
Russia > Usa

I know a lot of you will hate to admit it but the days of the USA super power are over, even the "old worn out" Russian Navy isn't scared of you all anymore

Thanks to Obama, but that's all about to change!

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by JHumm
It doesnt matter if their subs are as advanced as ours, its not like we are having sub races out there...it only has to be good enough to get in and deliver its payload and id say 200 miles is more than close enough for that. just because it was dectected doesnt really matter. If it was here to fire a missle it would have been all over for the inteded target/targets

If belligerant actions that point to an attack profile are made, those actions will be countered. A SSBN has a certain profile that indicates its getting ready to launch but the post is not about them, its about attack submarines whose main mission is to attack SSBN's. Cruise missile can be launched from attack subs but they also have a profile that indicate an imminant launch. In waters near enough to CONUS they would be countered immediately.

The signatures of subs on both sides are well enough known that its not much different than launching a ballistic missile as far as identification is concerned - meaning it'd be easy to know who to counter-attack.

The real threat is below horizon attack from short range missiles shot from unidentified freighter ship or something along those lines - not known national players subs.

Deterence still exist fors countries, not really so for extra-nationals intending to attack as a statement of act of terrorism.

Subs don't really bother me at night - freighters do!

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Maybe they just wanted to come look at the damage that the hurricane did first hand.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Welcome back to the Game Mother Russia.

We've been waiting...........

I'm going to tear up.
Feels like old times.

sniff

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
did we not pass the control of the sea over to the UN? so if they open it up to joe,blow and moe?diddly squat.since its all U N now,not usa,we keep getting it told to our face in so many ways by our own leaders.yet in the airports we get searched to the hilt. its probly cordinated for distraction to the people.its not about country afairs no more.its about the leading group and the meek to control. show and tell ,no more no less.if things got out of hand in usa would it not be so U N would be coming in? they do it every were else, all of them or a few of them. i dont see it as russia,i see it as another power flexing power.
edit on 5-11-2012 by bumpufirst because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Putin just ran out of bears to rassle so now we're on to "counting coup" games.
TAG! YOU'RE IT!

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
So a Russian submarine was operating in international waters? And the story here is?

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
This is not opinion this is a fact, currently the U.S. has both an unparalleled global reconnaissance capability and enjoys unrivaled naval supremacy over any potential foe.

What the article fails to mention is the USN SSN that had shadowed the Sierra II from the time it had sortied from Severomorsk.

This isn't the cold war however I'm willing to bet that were the Russian sub to come to firing depth and begin launching weapons, it would be popped like a zit from a Mk.48 in short order.

How do some of you think anybody knew it was there? The "unofficial leak" is the U.S.'s way of telling the Russian Federation that we know they are there without tipping our cards. I would guess the unnamed source is sympathetic to Mitt Romney as this close to the election it bolsters his claim that Russia is still dangerous to western interests.

Here in the Pacific Northwest back in the days of the former U.S.S.R.,Soviet "trawlers" and presumably SSN/SSK's , were a constant presence off the Strait of Juan de Fuca hoping to tail the U.S. SSBN's as they sortied from Bangor.

Of note is that TU-95 flights have become more active probing both Alaskan and Canadian airspace and Moscow has resumed production of the TU-160 strategic bomber. Additionally, Russia is heavily invested in developing a new class of SSBN along with a much more capable SLBM.

As others have said, nothing new to see here but definitely a reminder that the Russian bear wont sleep forever.

edit on 5-11-2012 by Drunkenparrot because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

I don't think so, because most of what China learned about building submarines, they learned from the Soviets. All the early Chinese subs were Soviet built, or license built on Soviet subs. I think the only improvements have been going from Russia to China, based on the improvements that Russia is making.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Russian or Chinese boats are crap, just that they're playing catch up to where the US boats have been for a long time. I've known people on LA class boats that the first they knew an Akula was trailing them was when they got hit with sonar. The sub guys were livid when Japan sold the tech to the Soviets to make the improvements to their screw designs.

As for this boat being 200 miles out, that's well into international waters, so there was no legal violations or anything of the sort. It's like when their bombers fly towards the US. They enter the edge of the ADIZ, our fighters intercept them, and they wave and take pictures. If there was a way to do that here, that's what would happen.

During the Cold War, now that's when things got really hairy. There was a Swiss aircraft recently recovered from the Cold War that was shot down by a Soviet MiG (a DC-3 I believe). A number of US aircraft were shot up, or show down playing the game of approaching as close as they could to Soviet airspace. And we all know about KAL 007.

There are some really interesting stories out there about the Soviet Golf II that sank off Hawaii, and the Thresher and Scorpion that will probably never be verified, but are scary as hell.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
lets examine what is actually swimming 200 miles of the coast of america.

can the usa stop a missile from hitting new york at that range going mach 23.

at that speed america would have 40 seconds of response time from that distance.

a typical russian nuclear missile has about 10 warheads and 40 decoys. for america to stop just one of these missiles, a manned aegis anti missile system would have to acquire, target and shoot down 50 warheads, travelling at mach 23 in less that 40 seconds. that's just one icbm.

then it would have to defeat the missiles countermeasures. which includes the 40 decoys, chaff released in space confusing ground radar, radar jammers on the warheads and decoys and last but not least, a deliberate nuclear detonation in space to create a radar blackout zone that would allow future missiles to pass thru undetected.

yup, maybe if you're wondering why there isn't any missile defences around your city, is because its pointless, a waste of money and you won't survive.

Russia is spent power, no need to worry or fear. Economically they came to know in 80s that their system of communism based on commodity and energy revenues would not be able to keep up with the US or West. Since 1991, they have done little to modify their reliance on the energy revenues. Unless Russia suddenly comes up with something very strong economically, in next 10 years or so it will be reduced to a 3rd rate power (from 2nd rate currently) in military terms. Country to watch out for is China, it is growing both economically and in military terms.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join