It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Photos: Colorful Tarantulas Found

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
reply to post by kaylaluv

To be honest I envy the fact that you have tarantulas in your yard, I have never seen one in real life but have always been fascinated by them. Judging by what you listed as your location I wont ask where you live, but where I live in the great white north we have tons of spiders but tarantulas are not native to here.

This thread is honestly making me want to get one as a pet. As you said they would be happier outside but if there are some for sale in my area, I might as well give it a good home since I would feed it well and make sure to give it a kick ass habitat.

if you are interested in becoming a tarantula owner i would suggest a brachyopelma species such as a b.smithi, b.bohmei, b.emila, b.vagans..those are fairly easy to get with the amount of breeders out there..they are a good size and have a very good temperment they are called new world(n/s america) tarantula,s..steer clear of old world species(aisia/africa) they can be very jumpy and aggresive..not good for a beginer

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Beautiful pictures OP thanks for sharing. Tarantulas actually make nice pets, I have had at least one as a pet since I was 12 years old

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Nice, but I still don't want one crawling on me.
I let them be, when I see them in my house because they kill other insects, although my cats are more efficient at exterminating unwanted house guests.

This reminds me now. A few hours ago I found a black plastic one from Halloween, I picked it up to put away but must have dropped it. It looks real. It's going to scare whoever sees it now and that will probably be me.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by SyntheticPerception

The only time I've even seen real tarantulas was in a jewelry store, inside the glass with the diamonds to deter robbers.

I think I might be dreaming about them tonight now. I probably dropped that fake one on my bed when I went to my room, after finding it.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Colorful denizens of the steamy underworld. Thanks for those. The tarantula is a predator. It does hunt for live prey.

Heres another hunter. A Tarantulas worst nightmare. I used to see these around when I was a kid.

Heres one at work. They lay their eggs on the Tarantula and the larva slowly consume their host, keeping it alive until they mature and become wasps themselves. Damn Nature, you scary!

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
When I was a kid my fear for spiders was so bad that I had nightmares about spiders the size of dogs that could open doors.

When I was 19 I had had enough of my fear and bought a tarantula. A rose haired male. They aren't very big but it was a start. I had terrible nightmares for two weeks. After that I observed and learned

They are way more intelligent than most people know or understand. Since then I have also owned what I was told was a Haitian Bird Eater. I custom built her cage and she used to circle it testing the wires with her fangs and toes.

She was the size of an average hand when spread out. Very docile.

Seriously though, they are from another planet. Anything bigger than a quarter needs to be behind glass.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   
so we continue to find new species everyday, yet there are people out there that believe bigfoot doesnt exsist. hmmmmmmm.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   

I don't normally post one liners, but aside from that's effin COOL I don't know what else to say.

Second line.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   

reply to post by littled16

Sorry about that...don't let the bed bugs bite!

I have been lucky to never have a bed bug infestation, but if I see a spider in my house I leave it be due to the fact that they help fight off other pests such as the dreaded bed bug.

Spiders are your friend

You're lucky enough not to know anything about bed bugs but you would need a literal army of super soldier spiders to even put a dent in a bed bug infestation.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by DocHolidaze
so we continue to find new species everyday, yet there are people out there that believe bigfoot doesnt exsist. hmmmmmmm.

There is also another school that believes all bigfoot research and pursuit should end because it's entirely clear that if bigfoot exists it wants nothing to do with humans whatsoever, and that desire for privacy should be respected. The creature as typically described is very humanoid, so we'd rather not see it end up in little pieces on some geek's microscope slide, or a throw rug in some redneck's den.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
They lay their eggs on the Tarantula and the larva slowly consume their host, keeping it alive until they mature and become wasps themselves. Damn Nature, you scary!

For some reason that reminds me of all the Spanish/English/French/American imperialism which has defaced so many cultures.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by jeantherapy

i see it from a few point of view, either there population is really small witch would explain why there hard to find, i don't think some people actually understand how much uninhabited forest is actually out there. or they are highly intelligent and when we come on to there turf they have the upper hand, which allows them to be elusive. or the whole thing is made up as some part of an Illuminati skeem(unlikely though). and also take into account that it could be all of these thing and/or a combination. either way there is something out there, and for the people that dismiss it right off the bat are lost and probley never stepped a foot outside of there precious city limits.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   
courses.ttu.edu...
Tarantulas are the biggest of spiders. They have eight legs, are often hairy, and have two big fangs. Some are dull brown, while others can be brightly colored. The sizes range too as small as a fingernail, too as big as a dinner plate. Woah, that’s a big spider.

Tarantulas can live in rainforests and desserts.. Their prey is insects, and even rodents and small birds. They hunt by stalking, slowly creeping up. Then they quickly leap onto their prey and stick their hollow, furry fangs into the prey. Venom is pumped in and liquefies the prey’s insides. Then the spider eats it like bug soup. Mm!

Surprisingly, tarantulas spend a lot of their time hiding when they’re not hunting. Lots of animals will try to eat them although some do not succeed, for the tarantula has a few good defenses. The hairs on the back less and abdomen can break off with the slightest touch; borrowing into an enemy and making them itch terribly. They are also pretty fast runners, with eight legs! And if all else fails, they can bite, but their venom is used mainly for eating prey.

For some reason tarantula’s reputation isn’t that good. Maybe because they are big. Maybe because they are hairy. Maybe because they are poisonous. Well, yes, they are big, and hairy. They do have poison, but it can’t kill a person unless you’re allergic to it. For most people, tarantula bites are no worse than a bee sting.

----------

I always thought they were more dangerous than that. Beautiful none the less.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by jeantherapy

Originally posted by intrptr
They lay their eggs on the Tarantula and the larva slowly consume their host, keeping it alive until they mature and become wasps themselves. Damn Nature, you scary!

For some reason that reminds me of all the Spanish/English/French/American imperialism which has defaced so many cultures.

Damn Parasites...

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Got the Ebbie jebbies just looking at the pictures....Granted they are cool and the more we "expand" our living space as humans, the more species of animals we find but still....Spiders give me a major case of the " Holy craps !" lol

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
www.youtube.com... eating a live tarantula, not for the squeemish.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   

reply to post by littled16

Sorry about that...don't let the bed bugs bite!

I have been lucky to never have a bed bug infestation, but if I see a spider in my house I leave it be due to the fact that they help fight off other pests such as the dreaded bed bug.

Spiders are your friend

I used to believe in the same thing, until i moved down south.... for three nights in the roll, my arm was numbed and had a weird sensation, like venom or poison running through my veins and it felt weak... to find out i had a medium size black widow living in my bed room... spiders are not your friends.... even after that, i was getting bitten by spiders with fang marks an inch a part from one another... have no idea what kind of spider it was... but black widows are nothing to play with.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Kill them. With fire. Lots of it.

Evolution dictates it.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by ILLosopher

I'm not afraid of black widows, I've even played with one...perhaps I'm to fearless for my own good
The hype of black widows is over exaggerated. Sure their bites are painful but rarely are they deadly.

And yes, spiders are still my friend.

I've woken up with a fang bites as well when I lived out west so I know the feeling but I went on with my day and the bit marks went away.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Lol who spray painted em? jk...theyre cool

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join