It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Terminator" arm. The most advanced prosthetic limb so far.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Mr Ackland lost his arm in an accident at work a few years ago.
And the prosthetic limb he has got now is far out!
Called the Bebionic 3

This prosthetic limb has got a hand so sensitive that he even can use a computer mouse, open bottles and crack open eggs.

The new bebionic3 hand from RSLSteeper is here. With a choice of 14 reliable grips and hand positions, bebionic3 allows you to just get on with your life. It is the most advanced multi-articulating hand available.

Edit:

In hook mode, when a weight is carried by all fingers, the hand can bear 99 pounds, up from 70.5 pounds.. The hand will cost between $25,000 and $35,000, depending on both the hardware and software configurations.

engadget
edit on 5-11-2012 by LiberalSceptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
They should have connected it to the nerve system for better control.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by LiberalSceptic

What I would like to know is with how much force these vingers can "squeeze". This arm and fingers look very sci-fi to me, almost CGI.

Anyways, all we need is a torso, legs and skull with a compubrain to have a living terminator.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Well, its a start I guess and it definitely needs some work, but at least it makes his life a lot easier.
Its a hell of a lot better than a hook I guess.

Can you get it wet?

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Avgudar

Yea, as far as i know it can be done, and has been done in other projects.
Do not remember his name know, but there is a man who has been working for a long time on computer inplants and was the first person to have a chip in his hand. He could do allot of things with that.

reply to post by zatara

If I remember correctly the video said something about 8 pounds.
Indeed

Correction:
The BeBionic 3 has an aluminum chassis, improved electronics, a redesigned thumb, and new motors that increase the power grip strength from 16.8 pounds to 31.5 pounds, according to SteeperUSA.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Can you jerk off with it? Now that's the question(Joke).

Its amazing how far they have come along with prosthetic robotic limbs! I just hope they become available to our war veterans and the rest of the public and not only a select few with all the $$$$ and ££££!
edit on 5-11-2012 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by snowen20

I am trying to find some info on that, but so far nothing.

Edit:
I have Googled all I can, but so far, no info about if it is waterproof in any way.
Though, they do have it in a version of realtree camouflage, which makes me think that it is an option for the people whom wants to go out hunting, and stretching that a bit further, I would assume that it can handle at least some degree of water.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by andy06shake

Not even a little bit serious

Seems like the hand is good for even smaller tasks, as holding an egg in a gentle way, so I am sure the possibility is there
But let us keep this topic civil please

Yes I as well. The tech can not be especially expensive to make if done in a bigger scale, and there sure is allot of people in need for it.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Sorry joke was a little low key. Apologies to any handicapable peeps if i offended! Just thought i would get it out there!

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

No harm done my friend. We will see if the mods think otherwise

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
This is probably one of the best bits of technology I've ever seen. Thank you so much for bringing it to my attention OP.

S&F

Rev

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by revmoofoo

You are very welcome.
And I agree, it is cool beyond most things I have seen in a while.
Compared to the futuristic "real" Terminator arm from the movie, this is faaaar cooler.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I guess I'll be the 20th poster to say "Holy &$#% that's cool"...

I don't know what else to put. Other than this is amazing. Robocop, here we come...

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
The guy who had implants in his arm is prof. Kevin Warwick. He's done some amazing stuff so far. This is some pretty cool kit as well. Hopefully it can be developed further.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
So I wasn't entirely convinced that Deus Ex: HR could happen in just a couple of decades but this changes my mind quite a bit.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I agree that this is the correct way forward. I can't fault the device mechanically speaking. I will however add as a few others have that this device needs to integrated with the Human nervous system or some kind of direct thought sensors placed on or within the skull. The possibility and maybe even the tech for this to work is probably already available.
edit on 6-11-2012 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Yea, it gets to a point where words is not enough

reply to post by racos

Aah thank you very much! I could not remember it.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by shadowland8

I guess you have seen this before

I am fairly positive it is available.
But the tech the arm uses now is neat as well. Electrical impulses from the skin.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   

"I am fairly positive it is available.
But the tech the arm uses now is neat as well. Electrical impulses from the skin."

Im just thinking electrical impulses from the skin seems rather antiquated considering the breakthroughs regarding Brain–computer interfaces that are now becoming available.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Am I the only one that noticed the 35 grand price tag?

While it is awesome, I think it is a little expensive, unless insurance covers it, then what does that do to insurance rates?

Maybe you could get a seven year loan on it like a car. Maybe a lease.

Cool anyways.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join