It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Overactive ATS Members, Mysterious Bannings, A Question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
A genuine one which I hope can be posed without the breaking of T&C. Of course, the discussion of specific bannings is not allowed on ATS, this much I know, so let's keep that in mind when considering the question and not name names.

It's been my observation that - More often than not - Members who have been here for brief amounts of time, yet manage to garner large amounts of support, stars, and flags end up being banned - With obvious reasons for those bannings being largely absent to the eyes of this member's observation.

So, what's going on here? Are these members doing something behind the scenes that isn't so obvious to the rest of us which leads to their banning? Has anyone else noticed this, as well?

Be assured, it's not my intention to stir the pot in any way in the making of this thread.
What am I missing, here?

Wasn't sure if this would have been better suited for the Members forum, but here I am.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Think you answered your own questions, partially..

Originally posted by Sek82
It's been my observation that - More often than not - Members who have been here for brief amounts of time, yet manage to garner large amounts of support, stars, and flags end up being banned - With obvious reasons for those bannings being largely absent to the eyes of this member's observation.

These people are here for a only few months, but are spending probably 5+ hours a day on the site.
Making random threads, and lots of posts. So posting a lot, can make you sloppy and say things you don't mean and make you ignore T&C to get more posts...etc, which can get you banned.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Well, not quite. I wouldn't ask this question if their breaking of the T&C was at all apparent in reviewing their post history. In these instances of which I speak, they adhere to the terms and conditions post after post with no mod actions throughout, yet eventually... Poof.

Maybe it's just me, but it's almost like I can predict who is next, and when they do eventually get banned, I am not at all surprised. Of course, being very active on ATS isn't against the rules, nor is creating threads with the intention of garnering support (S&Fs).

The difference is they never got sloppy.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Sek82

After giving it a little bit of thought.... how many threads did they start that were complete garbage and therefore were moved to the trash bin? This seems most likely because in reviewing their posts/threads you would not see those records.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sek82
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Well, not quite. I wouldn't ask this question if their breaking of the T&C was at all apparent in reviewing their post history. In these instances of which I speak, they adhere to the terms and conditions post after post with no mod actions throughout, yet eventually... Poof.

Maybe it's just me, but it's almost like I can predict who is next, and when they do eventually get banned, I am not at all surprised. Of course, being very active on ATS isn't against the rules, nor is creating threads with the intention of garnering support (S&Fs).

The difference is they never got sloppy.

3 words............Sock.....puppet........account

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

Good point... Not many. Most of their threads were relevant and they garnered lots of support. Usually, they did have some sort of agenda that was obvious enough but overall... They were in line in their postings.

reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

Honestly, that's something I considered and haven't ruled out.

It'd be nice if a Mod could weigh in, and perhaps take a moment to discuss some of the issues they face, membership wise, behind the scenes which most of us might otherwise be oblivious to.

Any takers?

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
This topic has been raised, time and again and, each and every time, we close the thread with the same thoughts so, here it is:

We don't ban member for any reason other than Terms and Conditions violations. We don't want to ban members. We don't ban members without a lengthy staff discussion. We don't ban members without taking a vote and thoroughly discussing the issues. We don't ban a member without trying to discuss the issues with them so that they can understand the issues we are having. (the one exception to this rule is when a member is so eggregious in their offenses that their actions are deemed to be intentional).

The sad truth is that it takes a lot to be permanently banned from ATS. So much so that, even after a member has been banned they can, and often do, come back. We are, usually, aware of their return and, unless they are the above mentioned exception, we turn a blind eye until they start breaking the Tees and Cees again (which they often do).

And, with that, the thread is closed.

top topics

join