It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marathon Cancelled - Generators and Supplies Sit Unused

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Bloomberg ... you suck!

Daily Beast

Plenty of supplies for the canceled New York City marathon—including more than a dozen electrical generators—sat idle in Central Park on Sunday, the New York Post reported. Residents of Staten Island and the Rockaways said they could have made better use of the space blankets, crates of apples and peanuts, and bottled water that sat piled in the center of well-lit Manhattan over the weekend. A marathon security worker told the Post that the supplies were not removed because would-be marathoners running in the park presented logistical difficulties.

New York Post

And the city had no explanation for why it didn’t simply ask the runners to stay out of the way of the trucks — or send cops to clear a path.

City Hall also did not explain why the equipment and food were not moved out of the park on Saturday — since the race had been canceled a day earlier.

Richard Finn, a spokesman for the New York Road Runners, which pledged all its supplies for disaster relief, also declined to say why the food and equipment weren’t moved out earlier.

And in the meantime Israel sends aid to NYC and utility repair people from across the country are turned away from NJ because they aren't 'UNION'. :shk: I'm seriously not seeing the supposed 'wonderful job' by those in charge in NYC and NJ. Bloomberg. Christie. Obama. FEMA. WHOEVER it is .. this is just wrong.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
WHAT THE??? *Throws hands up in the air* No Comment.................

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starwise

Seriously ... doesn't it make you just
and

And Bloomburg was going to let the dang marathon go on.
It is unfreak'n believable!!

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

BUT... the city needs mOOoooOOOOooney and the marathoners will bring in SoooOOOOooOOoo much.. and are so much more important than the citizens who obviously dont matter.. cause they arent puking mOOOooooOOOOoooney for the city in the middle of a personal armageddon.

I actually saw this sentiment on ATS in support of the marathon.... go figure. FEMA ran out of water.. those folks who are running in their cute little shorts better fear getting bottled-water-jacked by a thirsty, hungry, displaced and forgotten human being in the area if they reinstate the marathon.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starwise

I know

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Stop blaming the runners, it is immature. My family has been over there, and despite the reports here that only "union" workers have been allowed, they've been able to take part in distribution of food. They have trained for a year this marathon, and they haven't made a word of complaint as they got to work helping.

The city of New York obviously has some problems in communication and organisation, but that isn't a good excuse to rag on the runners.

edit on 5-11-2012 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

I did see pics and interviews of the runners happy to help out the victims.....
What is upsetting is Bloomberg only thinking about money and not the lives of his citizens.

I think there is just not enough people to help..Too many people are in NEED!

It truly seems to be a situation where neighbors help neighbors and strangers help strangers. But how can they efficiently help when there are no supplies?

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Rudy is not a happy man either.

These people need some serious help.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage

BUT... the city needs mOOoooOOOOooney and the marathoners will bring in SoooOOOOooOOoo much.. and are so much more important than the citizens who obviously dont matter.. cause they arent puking mOOOooooOOOOoooney for the city in the middle of a personal armageddon.

I actually saw this sentiment on ATS in support of the marathon.... go figure. FEMA ran out of water.. those folks who are running in their cute little shorts better fear getting bottled-water-jacked by a thirsty, hungry, displaced and forgotten human being in the area if they reinstate the marathon.

They has 7 days advance notice that this storm was going to happen.

7 DAYS!!!!!! Water, food, blankets, supplies.

People are starving & freezing out there!!!!

What the %3!*

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
These are not little portable generators. There is no electrical infrastructure to attach them to in the affected areas. You can't just energize what's left of the transmission system or you'll likely kill someone or start fires. It all seems so simple when you're not in the middle of it. There were discussions about setting up generators to power general area lighting (like you might see around highway projects at night) but the concern is that people would attempt to tie into them and get killed in the process.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   

FEMA supports the local and state governments, so Bloomberg, Cuomo, Christie, and the New York and New Jersey legislatures, the latter of which would have written any anti-union workers rules, if they in fact do exist, are the ones to blame.

I couldn't believe that Bloomberg initially wanted the marathon to go on as scheduled. It seemed very out of touch and showed what messed-up priorities the guy has. His claim that victims of the storm would want the marathon to go on as planned was just plain disgusting -- using the dead as an excuse to push one's agenda for a prestige and revenue-creating event. And given Bloomberg's attitude and out-of-touchness, I sincerely doubt he is doing what's best for his constituency.

That I and flyersfan agree on this one should tell everyone how out of line Bloomberg was on this one.

edit on 7-11-2012 by MrInquisitive because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
There are half mile long lines for gas in brooklyn, ny, today. Right now. There are dozens of body bags coming out of apartment buildings all over Brooklyn, NY, today, rightnow, in breezy point, seagate, brighton beach. mostly the elderly and ill who depended on electricity to stay alive. Coney Island hospital lost power for days and nobody is talking about all the people who were there. The death toll may be in the thousansd in brooklyn and nobody is saying anything

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: dashen

A portable generator can run an entire city? Whew. That was a close one.
edit on 5-8-2016 by maintenenceEMO032 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join