It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Setting Minimum Wage In The USA to 4 Cents An Hour

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by georgemoseleylander

So, instead of some Americans working for low wages, you want ot see Chinese dissidents literally whipped and beaten to death for ZERO WAGES in dissident slave camps to manufacture you Rattan Furniture?

Look, Minimum Wage does not mean higher wages it means NO WAGES. No one has a paid job in America and goods are churned out in Slave Camps in China again for ZERO WAGES.
edit on 5-11-2012 by georgemoseleylander because: (no reason given)

Question, is your real issue with people earning a minimum wage, or dissidents in China being whipped, and forced to work for zero wages?

If minimum wage was done away with in the US, or anywhere, there would still be dissidents in China, being whipped and forced to work for free.

Perhaps you should focus your rage at what exists in China, not people being given a minimum wage to exist on.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by georgemoseleylander

I agree. Minimum wages is a farce. It allows the employer to get by with "the bare minimum" and that is not always good. In a minimum wage world, the workers do not prosper.

We have to have standards of some type though. We are a passionate animal (human beings). We let our passions take control and sometimes we do bad things...so we make rules (laws) to curb those passions.

We have laws that prevent people from flying into a passionate rage and bashing someone's skull in with a rock.

We have some people who are addicted to (passionate about) sex. So we have laws that says you cannot just grab someone and have sex with them against their will. We have people that are passionate (addicted to) drugs and alcohol...so we have laws about illegal drug use, or public intoxication and driving while intoxicated...laws meant to protect the innocent.

But wealth and materialism can also give rise to passion and addiction. Those passions for wealth and material "things" can be just as detrimental to a society as rapists, murderers and drug addicts. We have rules of conduct, it's what makes us civilized and separates us from animals.

We have to have standards of living...standards of conduct. Without it, our race will degenerate and de-evolve back into animals.
edit on 11/5/2012 by Jeremiah65 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/5/2012 by Jeremiah65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Minimum wage is far more complex than most here are making it out to be.

It has pros and cons, so it really comes down to which issues you would rather deal with.

And, no, nobody is going to get paid $0.04 / day if minimum wage is removed, because nobody would bother to show up for $0.04 / day. It wouldn't even cover the cost of thinking about it.

The only real major issue with minimum wage is the situations where minimum wage is grossly over the actual value provided by that employee for that given time.

Now, this is also a problem when the minimum wage allows a company to pay an employee grossly under the actual value provided for a given time.

It's not really a good or bad, more like a, "does this work for our economic system?" sort of deal.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Setting Minimum Wage In The USA to 4 Cents An Hour

Most people would not take the effort to put on their left shoe and go to work for that money. All depends on what you can buy for those 4 cents..I guess.

edit on 5/11/2012 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   

So.... you would rather have the US full of slave camps?

Minimum wage is to prevent the exploitation of people.
If it did not exist, there might be people working for pennies per day as slaves.

I'm not sure how anyone can even survive on minimum wage these days.
People making that and trying to support children are living in poverty.
How could we expect them to live on less than that?
Have you seen the minimum cost of even a one room studio apartment right now?
Have you gone food shopping? How much food can you buy each week on less than minimum wage.

Minimum wage is not the cause of the economic problems today. It goes much deeper.
Putting people to work as slaves is not going to fix the economy.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Chinese sweatshop workers should stop working until they have more rights. We need them to want the same things we enjoy in the US. But if they like being slaves then...

...then we'll have to work longer and for less money to counterbalance China OR improve our education system to produce higher skill workers so we can keep our standards high.

There has to be an incentive to keep standards high. It's highly unlikely that we would keep our standards high while at the same time limiting trade with China to prevent shipping jobs overseas. Doing that would cost us billions of dollars and raise prices. It won't happen that way. Not only that but it would ignite bitter passions in China and would make conflict more likely with them. In effect, it would isolate the nations of the world if they all did this. Nations that isolate will likely spur extremism. Instead nations should find a way to be valuable competitively on an international stage.
edit on 5-11-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
The premise that eliminating the minimum wage would lead to more jobs and thus, somehow stimulate the economy, is false and a wealthy man's pipe dream. In a free market and corporate-run society, profitability is the bottom line. Removing the minimum wage would lead to the Walmarts of the world paying $2/Hr or less for an army of retards to man their stores. Poor paying jobs do not = better. What will happen is other companies wanting to stay competitive would also cut wages to lower prices and I will leave the rest to your imagination. At the same time, one cannot expect to make living wages working as a cashier at the local gas station. There should be consequences for the lazy who did not pursue college. I'll add that Unions should not be allowed in every industry. You cannot maintain profitability making a rubber toy that sells for $1.75 wholesale, and pay employees $25/Hr plus Medical, 401K, gym membership and paid vacations. Unions should be limited. They can be just as detrimental to society as no minimum wage. No skill jobs should be low paying jobs and people need to live with that. If they were too dumb to realize they should have taken school seriously, they should pay the price.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

for five cents an hour, they might as well just volunteer for the experience....

the way everything is set up now, if you reduced people's wages that low, well, they'd all be on the welfare rolls, driving up the deficit, taxes would skyrocket to pay the cost....and well, we'd all be in about the same boat really, only much further down the rabbilt hole...

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Unidentified_Objective

I agree with most of what you are saying, except the part about lazy people who don't go to college. College is not for everyone. A successful economy needs people to do all kinds of jobs, including trades, service, and manufacturing as well as jobs that require a college or higher level education.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

I disagree that it's the lazies that don't go to college or that college should be the standard for being entitled to a living wage. all that does is require more and more of the employees to have to make more money to be able to repay their educational expense and live on. inflation!!
what happened to on the job training, apprenticeships, ect....

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar

I disagree that it's the lazies that don't go to college or that college should be the standard for being entitled to a living wage. all that does is require more and more of the employees to have to make more money to be able to repay their educational expense and live on. inflation!!
what happened to on the job training, apprenticeships, ect....

Well, that was a general statement. I'll clarify. If you didn't go to college or take school seriously, you cannot and should not expect a living wage working as a cashier or stock boy at Walmart. Perhaps a job like a plumber or a TV repair guy...tattoo artist can result in better pay but, demanding livable wages for jobs that should be done by teenagers or college students is insane.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
The fact that people want to take us back to the turn of the century, is really disturbing.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Trustfund

yes i agree and further more , your country would grind to a stop , people on the minimum wage would not be able to afford to buy anything other than survival food and clothing .

holidays , birthday gifts in fact anything that is not connected to survival would become a luxury that only the well paid could afford .

things would revert back to the dark ages where the poor would be slaving away just to survive whilst the rich live high on the hog and exploit the poor .

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Minimum wage keeps the lights on. Its the difference between you and a sweatshop laborer. Return our tax code to what it was before regan effed everything up. That's one reason why our country has become broke. Its reverse robinhoodism.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Lotta people smokin funny stuff here....

Even jobs that pay over minimum wage don't pay enough for one to get by,and then you say work 2 jobs,do any of you really even work?.

Give the employer the option to pay what he wants,and he will pay just enough to not be accused of driving slaves.

The only reason minimum wage is a law,is Capitalist scum wouldn't pay at all if they didn't have to.

What a buncha (*%$#%^&)+)O(IU)&T&^R%^.!!.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   

the wal marts where I live are open 24/7....
most teenage kids can't work nights, and have to be in school during the day...
and..umm...I do believe, maybe I am wrong, but wal mart pays something like 9/hr..

as far as people living together to make due, hey, they are doing that now, many times it's called "shacking up" and well, guess what that results in???
the need to make more money!!!

I've seen many jobs advertised in the paper, wanting experience...obviously they are not looking for teens or college students, that aren't paying the 9/hr...

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

When I lived in Florida,I answered an ad for a job which stated:

To be considered for this job,one must have the following:
Valid license,clean driving record
Own well maintained vehicle and insurance.
possess own tools.
$9.00 hr.

What?,9 bucks an hour,and already in debt from all the # one already has?,and looking for a job?.

I only answered to probe and find out what kind of scum expected so much for so little.

Work in this country is becoming a gaddamned joke,nobody wants to pay anyone anything until they basically work for a long time for basically nothing,and then still not offer anything like something to look forward to.

Experience speaking here,yes I have plenty,and am getting fed up with being exploited like a beast of burden.

It was better once,I started working when I was 11 years old,when a kid could still get a damned job somewhere.

You know who you can thank for this whole damned mess?,INSURANCE COMPANIES.

Trade a little freedom for security,and you deserve neither,WHO SAID THAT?,WHEN.

Nobody listens,and live too short a life to remember,like what those crazy 100 year old men rant about....

It was better once,you're all screwed unless you wake the hell up.

Oh wait,probably too late.

You fell for the "Take out a loan for college scheme",and now you work at #ing McDonalds.

Next bubble:Edumacational debt.

Yeah,I misspelled it so y'all could understand what I meant.

Sorry for the rant,but nothing will ever get better if all we do is argue about what's wrong here.

The thing that is wrong here is you can work as hard as you want,and still not afford what you need.

Needs and wants are two different things,in case you don't really know the difference.

And I really fear that the fact that most don't know the difference is a big part of the problem.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
The fact that people want to take us back to the turn of the century, is really disturbing.

The fact that people assume that modern means better is far, far more disturbing.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I'm all for it as long as they repeal affirmative action too

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by georgemoseleylander
It really is high time that Americans put the USA first and people back to work.

There wasn;t Minimum Wage when I was young and everyone had a job.

It;'s absurd that an employer with a job not worth minimum wage should have to hire a contractor to beat dissidents to death in slave camps to produce manufactured goods at no cost rather than be able to hire Americans.

And just why should someone good enough to offer employment be sent to jail whilst somenone offering no employment be held up as a shining example?

The fact is that Government can't raise wages, only unemployment.

This Minimum Wage crap is killing the USA. High time this malarchy was done away with.

Minimum wage started about 74 years ago (it actually started before that, died out and started again), and you probably didn't work before you were ....maybe 12 or so... which means you're over 86 years old?

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join