It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Internet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
The internet is powerful. You can get info about anything, right at your fingertips. Most of the info we all read on here comes from the internet originally.

Now think about that. All the scandals that comeout, the youtube videos, the local journalist that has a piece that the MSM won't touch because the boss says so. Why does he say no? Because it is not in the best interest of the people who really run MSM.

Now think about how often you use the internet. How would it affect you?

If the government wanted to take the internet out, they could. Then guess what, your only source of info would be the TV, newspaper, radio and hearsay. All easily controlled. We would be like sheep. I hope everyone realizes that in this scenerio we loose, we loose big.
One day you wake up, try and log on and can't. You turn the tube on to find out that some event has happened (according to what the media has been told) has taken the internet down and they did such a great job it could take months to fix.
The only info you would get would be exactly what they want you to hear and nothing more.

Of course this scenerio could play out in numerous ways but I thought it would be interesting to discuss the following.

1. Why havent they done so already?
2. Do you think that this is thier intention later down the road?
3. Do you think that even though they would like to, it is just to important?
4. Its just too important and risky for the economy
5. Whatever else you all can add.
I put this in the NWO forum because it would more than likely be another step toward achieving what they want with media control.
edit on 5/11/12 by masqua because: All Caps in title

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by planefixer

I personally would love to see the internet go down....I'm sure for all the good it has done their has been just as much bad....I got along as a teen just fine in the 80's and they can take the cellphones too....

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by chrismarco

I personally would love to see the internet go down....I'm sure for all the good it has done their has been just as much bad....I got along as a teen just fine in the 80's and they can take the cellphones too....

It wouldn't bother me either but can you imagine how many people would be flipping out. No facebook and twitter. Oh no..lol

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Ha...Imagine how many marriages would be saved?...
I would buy stock in Playboy and Hustler the minute it goes down...
edit on 5-11-2012 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Sadly the internet would only go down for the common man. Government and Big Business would still have it.

Being 47 years old I have seen the internet grow to be used for both good and bad. I still remember the old days when you could get a speeding ticket in one County, not pay it and just not go back to that County....
You could make mistakes, move and try again. Some got it right and become productive humans others took advantage.

Then they connected three Counties, then three states and now if you owe a speeding fine on one side of the Country you are not getting a drivers license on the other side. Any contact with maw enforcement may result in being handcuffed to a bus for a couple of weeks to go get it cleared up. This happened to one of my friends a while back. IMHO a little extreme.

The internet that gives us the power to gain knowledge is also being used to enslave us.
edit on 5-11-2012 by Mamatus because: speeling

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
You wouldn't be able to take the internet down. There isn't some magical hub that the internet originates from. The backbone of the internet is located in MANY corporations around the world on massive servers. You can create your own piece of the internet backbone by just setting up a server computer and hosting your own internet site and as long as the server is on and connected, it is a piece of the internet.

The reason that "they" haven't crashed the internet is because the physical logistics of it would be mind boggling. Short of a world-wide power shortage, which I'm sure that "they" wouldn't want because then it would be hard to maintain control and order without power, you'd have to have people hacking computers and servers around the clock. There doesn't even exist a virus that can infect the entire internet.

Even trying to block information access on the internet is hard. China tries, but they will ultimately be doomed to failure.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
What an ignorant post. The government cannot take down the internet... And which government are you even talking about? The American government?

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Who the f*%$ are "they"?
edit on 5-11-2012 by NightPod because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Can they even do that? If they took down search engines and the technology behind it then maybe, but can they really just flick a switch to take down everything - I don't think they could??? (slight doubt on my behalf) There will always be somebody that could access it, some group of computer geeks would use it as a tool/weapon like the freedom fighters used the radio during the last few wars to spread their word or like the pirate radio DJ's used the FM radio back in the day. "You can't stop the signal Mal!!"

But that isn't what your asking.... Apololgies!

I can see what you mean. It would affect me a lot. I see that other posters have said that they wouldn't mind as they have lived without it in the past but it would have a huge affect on the population of folk that are used to having it and use it as a way of expressing our right of freedom of speech or even just checking the footy scores or latest game reviews. I'm not sure about anybody else but my work colleagues spend their lives on the internet through their smart phones! A whole generation has grown up with the internet at their fingertips, you have to remember, not everybody can remember dial up or times before that!
If the internet were to dissapear altogether (switched off) the knowledge would still be available to most if they looked (like really looked), but it would be as the printed, written or verbal word and wouldn't be readily available as we know it today. A lot of knowledge is available on the internet these days and accessible to everyone, be it good or bad. Religions use it, Governments use it, news corps use it, all for there own agenda and to spread a message they want us to read but for the open-minded its a way of expresing ourselves and debating on what we have read on other sites. If they (whoever they are) turn it off or take it under state control and give us what they want us to read and view via our news feeds then our world may turn in to something we wouldn't like. We could end up like China!!!!

Anyway, I'm gonna answer all your questions in turn. I'm actually going to answer them as if the turn off was a complete turn off, like the worlds powers had had enough of this freedom of speech malarky. (These are only my opinions!)

1. Why havent they done so already?
They probably prefer us being obsessed by something like the internet rather than us thinking about politics and policy. Lets face it, with us staring at our PC's in our spare time and not thinking about the latest law that has been passed then they can get away with a lot more. Everybody has there own goals and worries these days and with our spare time we just like to relax - and go on conspiracy websites. Lets not also forget, its a great way to keep tabs on us with up to date information that we openly give weekly if not daily! We're like one man band doomsday books! "Here I am, Mr Cameron! Just purchased some new jeans from Next and they have been sent to my new address at ........ oh wait, you already know! haha" *we high five*

2. Do you think that this is thier intention later down the road?
Probably not, but I do think the speed in which the internet took off took them by surprise and they are still struggling to get it under some sort of control. I don't think they will ever shut it down, even for a short while, but they will keep on pushing new laws through that limit our rights and give them greater power over content. All for the "greater good!"

3. Do you think that even though they would like to, it is just to important?
A key question IMO. They will never shut it down in total because they depend on it too much. If we can't have it then they can't and running a country of x amount of million of people with paper records will probably increase employment (yeyyy!) but will be too much of a ball ache. So, if they have it, even if they have a super strong firewall constructed entirely out of Chuck Norris bone marrow coated in Xena Warrior Princess spit there will always be somebody that can hack in to it and use their network.

4. Its just too important and risky for the economy
Again, another reason why it will never happen. Although not as important. In regards to internet shopping they could limit what we use the internet for and how we use it. It could end up like an Iphone where we have tabs installed for our favorite shops, Amazon for example. Instead of opening Google and searching for Amazon and picking from the results you would just have an app that you have installed and that gives you access to that website only. For companies using it to trade or for the stock markets they could just operate on seperate servers, which I'm sure they do already?

5. "One day you wake up, try and log on and can't. You turn the tube on to find out that some event has happened (according to what the media has been told) has taken the internet down and they did such a great job it could take months to fix."
If this happens then we are at the mercy of our masters! But as long as it's only for a few months then it shouldn't be too bad!! We still have our previous knowledge and can hopefully make good judgement!!

Nice OP!!!

edit on 5-11-2012 by broddeb because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Senator Jay Rockefeller recently said the internet should have never been invented ...

I think it is a manifestation of how we all grow together. With the internet we have instant access to the increasing body of human knowledge. Amazing actually, isn't it? Revolutionary, kind of.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
They can scrub the internet any time they want. The more reliant we become on the internet for information, the easier it is for this to happen. Don't want people to know about some historical figure? Just run an algorithm that wipes all references to that person from the internet. It will be like that person never existed.
The internet is great and all that, but too easily manipulated. TRUST NO ONE, especially on the internet.

top topics

join