It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are the days going quicker???

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
A couple years back, I participated in a thread that discussed much the same. I can't find who, but someone offered a rather profound insight.

They said that Time is what we perceive as the interval between events.

It makes stunning sense in my mind. 20 years ago in my house, we had a single TV, a single radio, and that was it. I went to school, came home, did my homework, and read/ played outside in the off time. Now, as I was doing homework earlier (in school for a later in life Masters), I had CNN on in the background, Youtube playing in the background, and a FB IM conversation going.

(The homework didn't require actual cognitive thought, ok?).

Point being, between the computer, TV, Phone, etc, I am constantly bombarded 24x7 by stuff. Does time pass quicker now simply because of the ratios discussed earlier in the thread? Or because we have little choice but to be constantly connected? Interesting to think about.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   
The univers is increasingly speeding towards infinity in all directions...we notice this through our perception of time and is perceived as time speeding up, Like a previous poster has explained with the analogy of time being like a river, no matter when you are born time will seem slower when you are younger and speed as you grow older, and gets faster and faster.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by CeltAngel

One of the reasons time seems to be speeding up is because there are more events happening at a faster pace. Many of us just celebrated Halloween. In the same week we had "Superstorm" Sandy. Now there's "Winter Storm Athena". (They just started naming these,this just adds to the time-acceleration clutter.) And don't forget,we just had a major election yesterday. Veterans Day will be celebrated on Monday.
Now add the news events that just happened or are about to happen.(For example, a 7.4 earthquake just ocurred in Guatemala in the last 24 hours.) Now add the other important global and national stories. Then mix in the important local happenings. But wait,there's more. Throw in personal items,such as work schedule,school,appointments,family matters,birthdays,etcetera.
There are more and more items vying for a piece of our lives.One day it's the Superbowl and the next it's Mardi Gras. Well,if one were to go back in time to 1968,I believe,there WAS no Superbowl. Less excitement,perhaps,but less clutter and a slower pace. Do you ever look at your digital clock and see "9:11" and your mind goes back to that fateful day in 2001? Suddenly even more time is consumed as your thoughts wander.
I could go on,for example,about additional anniversary dates and also "contrived celebrations". (I believe today is "National ATS Day"). Yes,I could go on,but I don't have the time...

new topics

<< 1   >>

join