It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are the days going quicker???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
I was thinking about hows the days seem to be going quicker and quicker and it got me thinking is time really speeding up? Is it maybe because the universe is expanding.We always talk about how the week has gone so fast and the next thing you know its xmas,its these sort of saying that make you think is there something making days go faster. let me know what you think people.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Yes it is. I notice the change in mid June of 2011.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I have been hearing this from a lot of people but, is it because we are getting older and are more aware of time? Or maybe because our days are so packed with activities that time seems to move quicker?

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
It does seem like the days are slipping by, faster and faster. I'm really not sure why. Either way, the answer will come very soon, and when it does, I will be ready.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Here's my skunk works theory of the day:

The universe is expanding at an ever-increasing (exponential) rate. Time seems to pass more quickly as we age. This may be because our minds process information differently as we grow older, or it may be that we ALL feel the increasing acceleration of the passing of time.

In other words, if we are all on a river that is continuously increasing the pace of its flow, no matter when you jump in the river, you will feel the increase in speed.

Instead of time "seems" slower when you're a child, it would mean that time really is slower when you're a child, no matter when you were born

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   
It is a fact that time appears to go faster with age. This is because a any amount of time is less of a proportion of your life the older you get. For example, take the 6 weeks holidays. When you are at school it seems forever, when you are an adult, 6 weeks flies by. At 10yrs old, 6 weeks is 1/86th of your life, on your 20th birthday it is half of that, 1/173. The older you get the shorter the days get in your own perception as it is a smaller proportion of your life.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   
The GOP is up to something with this time speeding up business.
I don't know how, they just are.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by fiftyfifty
It is a fact that time appears to go faster with age. This is because a any amount of time is less of a proportion of your life the older you get. For example, take the 6 weeks holidays. When you are at school it seems forever, when you are an adult, 6 weeks flies by. At 10yrs old, 6 weeks is 1/86th of your life, on your 20th birthday it is half of that, 1/173. The older you get the shorter the days get in your own perception as it is a smaller proportion of your life.

Ockham agrees with you

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   

edit on 5-11-2012 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Actually, the reason it seems to go faster is because of our attention spans. When we're a kid, we're taking in a whole bunch of stuff constantly, which makes time seem to slow down. Now, everything is just slipping over us.
And yeah, the years in particular are passing every time I turn around. Something that happened two years ago might as well have happened last week.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by jademegjosh

you are getting older..

hey.. try spending some time with the kids, especially under three years old, time.. will sudden slow down to snail's pace.. I kid you not.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by betaiso

A professor once pointed out to me why days and years seem to go by quicker as you get older. When you are a kid, say 8 years old, a year is a larg r fraction of your life. 1/8 in this case. When you are in your twenties it is lower,ssay 24, which would be 1/24 of your life. As you get even older that fraction gets smaller and smaller so relative to you a year seems shorter and shorter.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by betaiso

Bingo, when you are young you take time for granted as the most interesting things have all the time you can give them.

But things change, you get married, have children, time seems to slow as you raise your family.

But then when you are already done with children and find yourself alone with or without your partner, oh, boy, time seems to fly faster that you can say "when".

because then you realize that you are getting older.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

No, it really does have to do with attention span. I'm 27, and already the years are passing almost disturbingly fast. If the lifetime division theory is true, then by the time people are 60, their deaths will be screaming towards them like a high-speed train. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I sort of doubt that's the case!

edit on 5-11-2012 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Why do you think our Star is going batty throwing flares all over?

Magnetic field forces swinging the solar system around. We still revolve around our star in 365 days.....But our solar system is being acted upon by something causing our Star to be going crazy.

If we were observing the situation from outside the solar system we might be able to see.....yes we the entire solar system is being acted upon by outside forces to fling us around.

Our brains telling us that 'time' is going by quicker...is just our cells realizing our atoms are spinning faster than normal from this outside force acting on us. The Galaxy's Black Hole maybe?

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
My time seems to be selective. It slows down for 8 hours while I'm at work and then magically speeds up when I get home and want to spend time with my family.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
It changes with age.... i remember my Teen/high school life was MUCH longer..... but it was only 4-5 yrs..., its been 7 yrs since that, and it feels as if it just went by quick.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by EllaMarina

You misunderstand what I'm saying. I'm just suggesting that with respect to the rest of your life a year becomes a lesser chunk of your life. By the time you are 60, 1 year is 1/60th of your life. You cannot dispute this, it is math. Also the fraction decreases less and less each year as well. It would model the graph of 1/x. The rate of change of this graph is -1/(x^2) so the difference between being 59 and then turning 60 is far less than the difference between being 8 and the turning 9.

edit: also shouldn't this discussion be in the philosophy forums?
edit on 5-11-2012 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

Also a result of GOP hot air being too much for our planet to contain. They've become so offensive in fact that even the sun is beginning to get pissed.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

Basic math it is, but its supposed progressive psychological impact could stand some scrutiny. Isn't there an age where the speed of time hits a plateau? I guess only personal anecdotes could tell.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join