It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Disappearance of Ashley, Kansas

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Apparently the story was a reddit nosleep sub forum submission

www.reddit.com...

Not sure which came first the creepypasta or the reddit.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
great story. Let me know when the book comes out. I'll buy it. It reminds me of Koontz's early stuff

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Well, looks like it's pretty well busted... Nonetheless, I'm still going to check and drop a note back. A great deal of urban legend or myth has a nugget of odd truth at the center of it somewhere. Who knows?
edit on 5-11-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Hays is Western Kansas, West of Salina, and Salina happens to be the end of the world until you get to Denver. West of Salina, Kansas is something that most people cannot imagine.

The story says a helicopter was dispatched from Topeka, Kansas, but that is unlikely. A helicopter would most likely have come out of Wichita.

It is a GREAT story! It lost me a little when the woman started talking about how she told her boy to be careful on his bike, that was reaching. And it is a little unbelievable that several officers would get lost while looking for a town, but no mention of them contacting the state authorities or armed forces.

Also, in rural towns like this, nobody lives right in town. The 1000 yard fissure would not have engulfed many of the residents. The homes in these Western Kansas towns are 1000 yards apart anyway.

BUT, the initial plot drew me in! The idea that this could happen out there in Kansas is plausible! I'm sure more than one town has gone missing over the last couple of centuries out in extreme BFE, KS.

It would have been more fun and intriguing without the burning kids. The writer started grasping for wow factor, when they didn't really need it. The spookiness was already adequate enough.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
anyone know offhand how far the skinwalker ranch is from Hays?

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
duplicate
edit on 5-11-2012 by Caver78 because: dupe

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by darkhorserider

I agree. It's a great story, but there were a few little details that he could have done without. But he did a GREAT job with the spookiness factor.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Caver78

Over 1500 miles. It is a VERY long way. But that isn't saying much, because it is a very long way to anywhere from Hayes, Kansas.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Phatdamage

umm k i'll bite since i am born and raised in kansas... i've never heard of ashley ks.. never heard this story before and trust me if my grandparents had heard this story i'd know about it.. i'm 40ish so it's not like I haven't been around long enough to know... anywho.. where in kansas is this ashley supposed to have been? 1500 miles from any direction from hays is going to put you in a different state.. LMAO
edit on 5-11-2012 by gnosticagnostic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ragsntatters

Agreed...I get enough "political madness" in the newspapers every day while trying to process the printed "truths" in my mind

Veeeery intriguing that it was reported the first earthquake came on just around 3:30am... spooky.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Anyone running a book on what network picks this up for the mini-series first ?

I reckon there's a good 3-part here....

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I could believe it. Kansas is an evil place.

My two favorite rumors when I lived in kansas:

!) The Pope will not fly over the state
2) The seventh gate of hell is in Kansas.

We always said that America would fall apart if it wasn't for kansas. The state sucked so hard it kept America in one piece

Just food for thought.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by 200Plus

Its funny you bring up the seventh gate of Hell, its in Stull, Kansas, a town I have passed by numerous times. The residents don't seem to like the whole cemetery thing. The building that the gate was supposedly located in has been torn down, and the cemetery is under complete private ownership that will prosecute trespassers. Legend has it that KU students would come to Stull on halloween and mess with the building on the cemetery, throw beer bottles at it, graffiti, etc. When they would throw bottles at the building, they wouldn't break on the building.

Now, back to the thread. I live in Topeka the place the helicopter came from and I have never heard of Ashley, Kansas or a town disappearance. However I do remember hearing of a town that was on fire, I don't remember the town but it had to do with natural gas combusting and coming through the ground. I think it was Emporia or Junction City.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Well i Hope this is a hoax! One of the creepiest things i ever read,and i read/heard of many.Could be a horror movie,this.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
HOAX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It never happened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join