It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Walking Dead and other SHTF shows.....

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Renegade2283

Originally posted by Dawsy
Although some of it is pretty unrealistic, such as Herschel's leg being bitten, then hacked off, then being able to walk within the next, I don't know, week. What about infection, blood loss?

Well Carl found a bag of medical supplies shortly after it happened and I am sure it had some anti-septic in it. Also, they tied a tourniquet, probably pretty dang tight too. Though I am not sure that it would save you, but then again people during war time have survived amputation, how was that possible?

In the civil war they amputated limbs like it was going out of style and many lived even though they were dealing in very unsanitary situations, just like on the show.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal
I have not seen Revolution. I am however a HUGE fan of the Walking Dead.

What turned me on to the show was the idea of what would happen in a true SHTF scenario, where you can no longer rely on Government and are forced to provide for yourself.

As far as AJ and people resorting to cannibalism... I think he is right. I dont know about any studies, but I do know about people caught in survival situations who ultimately did resort to cannibalism in order to eat and stay alive. One famous case was the story of a Rugby team's plane that went down in the Andes in 1972 between Chile and Argentina.

It is an amazing survival story in some very harsh conditions. Freezing temps, high altitudes, lack of supplies, plenty of injured. No food, no water. Eventually they resorted to eating the dead which consisted of family and friends.

1972 Andes flight disaster

So I have no doubt that in a true SHTF scenario where there is a shortage of food. Many people would resort to cannibalism if it was a matter of survival.

As far as the TV shows, I enjoy them. I get ideas from watching them. However, one must remember that it is entertainment. Not everything you see is a blueprint. Many parts are very unrealistic and would not work in a real world scenario and these shows are not a "how to" guide. They have creative license to exaggerate for the sake of telling the story, but there is some things to be taken from them.

The likely hood of people eating someon who's already dead is high. The likely hood of them hunting each other, not so high but not impossible either.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by IsawWHATtheyDID
I love shtf shows, and kinda would like to be around for a zombie scenario. but after watching the divide, i do not want to dig in with any body. that movie put to much of a realistic spin on survival i would think that is how stuff would play out if you dug in with un prepared people. i know its not a shtf show but i think castaway would be more up my alley.

If you like SHTF shows, then watch The Colony on youtube. It was a reality tv show back from around 2004. Here's a link to one of those shows. I'm just onto season 2. it's pretty good. Season 2 is a different location and different cast of characters. They showed how you can eat cochroaches if your starving, I didn't know that. weird.

edit on 5-11-2012 by r2d246 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I've been following The Walking Dead since day one and like the premise on which it's based... However, I could do without the over-done relationship drama crap... it tends to get a little too daytime soap opera-ish for my liking.

That's the reason why I stopped watching Jericho.

More butt kicking/survival know-how stuff, and less of the who's screwing who garbage, please and thank you.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
You guys...and girls
should like this thread, if you like "Zombies". I didnt BELIEVE in ZOMBIES til i met SANDY

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

I watch both The Walking Dead and Revolution, but Revolution is a little too cheesy to get into the big leagues in my opinion. Their budget is clearly minimal, with pretty bad sets, no great script, more implausible story-lines.

The Walking Dead has really impressed me, especially the way they've built the characters. IMO, it's more plausible from a social breakdown scenario. Revolution seems a little sparse - where did the millions of people suddenly go? They've had a lot of opportunities to show a real breakdown in society and they haven't bothered. That should have been the focus of the show.

And I'm getting really fed up with the characters in Revolution holding back, always being perfectly reasonable to the point where they risk their own lives for their morals. That is BS. Every time I see them have an opportunity to kill someone to prevent them from being killed and they don't take it, they lose more credibility. I actually audible sighed with disappointment recently when that stupid girl could have killed that evil fella and didn't. How many chances do they need to give a psychopath before they finally just put a bullet in his brain?!

Aside from the implausibility of Revolution from a character perspective, It seems to me that a lot of American shows like this run out of steam after a couple of episodes. They pull people in with the high drama and amazing effects, the disaster theme gets people interested, and then they become boring, focusing on mundane stories. The same happened with Jericho, it kicked off with nuclear holocaust and after two or three episodes the story became smaller and smaller until it became nothing more than a mundane soap set in a post-apocalyptic world.

I fear the same thing is happening to Falling Skies too. They're getting too involved in the drama of personal stories. While we like fully formed characters that we can relate too, we don't want to lose the sense of excitement that the apocalypse idea creates.

That's why I think The Walking Dead is doing so well. They've managed to keep the apocalypse going and include personal dramas. They've kept the balance right and not given up to become another soap opera.

I just watched the latest episode tonight, and I was blown away by how good it was. The acting was pretty immense, and when I think back to how the British actor Andrew Lincoln started out in the UK years ago, and then to see him now, the guy deserves an Oscar!

When it comes to plausibility, The Walking Dead is the most plausible, without getting into the cause of the apocalypse. Of course, zombies are not really more likely than an electromagnetic incident or alien invasion, but the resulting characters, incidents, environments and sets are far more plausible.

When it comes to how I imagine survival and society would be after a major apocalyptic event, TWD is the closest IMO.

I hope the show continues for years, they could go in so many different directions with it.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
walking dead is a great show, and revolution is so so, i also like last resort.
as far as being realistic, i think they are pretty much right on target in portraying how some people would act.

but if you want to see what i think it would really be like watch the movie The Road.
even the movie The Book Of Eli. these two show what i think the world would turn into.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246

Well they have UFO's obviously so they must have the technology to turn off all power if need be. They have nation wide kill switches for: people, power, utilities, communications,

Wow, that's a unique idea, cant believe I didn't think of that. Seems that it would be the only possible explanation, especially considering the devices that turn power back on in a localized area.

One thing that is not explained in Revolution is, what would happen to all the nuclear power plants? Wouldn't some of them melt down?

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual
reply to post by r2d246

I watch both The Walking Dead and Revolution, but Revolution is a little too cheesy to get into the big leagues in my opinion. Their budget is clearly minimal, with pretty bad sets, no great script, more implausible story-lines.

The Walking Dead has really impressed me, especially the way they've built the characters. IMO, it's more plausible from a social breakdown scenario. Revolution seems a little sparse - where did the millions of people suddenly go? They've had a lot of opportunities to show a real breakdown in society and they haven't bothered. That should have been the focus of the show.

And I'm getting really fed up with the characters in Revolution holding back, always being perfectly reasonable to the point where they risk their own lives for their morals. That is BS. Every time I see them have an opportunity to kill someone to prevent them from being killed and they don't take it, they lose more credibility. I actually audible sighed with disappointment recently when that stupid girl could have killed that evil fella and didn't. How many chances do they need to give a psychopath before they finally just put a bullet in his brain?!

Aside from the implausibility of Revolution from a character perspective, It seems to me that a lot of American shows like this run out of steam after a couple of episodes. They pull people in with the high drama and amazing effects, the disaster theme gets people interested, and then they become boring, focusing on mundane stories. The same happened with Jericho, it kicked off with nuclear holocaust and after two or three episodes the story became smaller and smaller until it became nothing more than a mundane soap set in a post-apocalyptic world.

I fear the same thing is happening to Falling Skies too. They're getting too involved in the drama of personal stories. While we like fully formed characters that we can relate too, we don't want to lose the sense of excitement that the apocalypse idea creates.

That's why I think The Walking Dead is doing so well. They've managed to keep the apocalypse going and include personal dramas. They've kept the balance right and not given up to become another soap opera.

I just watched the latest episode tonight, and I was blown away by how good it was. The acting was pretty immense, and when I think back to how the British actor Andrew Lincoln started out in the UK years ago, and then to see him now, the guy deserves an Oscar!

When it comes to plausibility, The Walking Dead is the most plausible, without getting into the cause of the apocalypse. Of course, zombies are not really more likely than an electromagnetic incident or alien invasion, but the resulting characters, incidents, environments and sets are far more plausible.

When it comes to how I imagine survival and society would be after a major apocalyptic event, TWD is the closest IMO.

I hope the show continues for years, they could go in so many different directions with it.

you got a point. I mean unless there was a viral outbreak, simply removing power wouldn't mean everyone dies. I could be wrong. Who knows, a lot of people would die for sure, but maybe only half the population. The other half would learn to adapt and survive somehow. As the world is designed to support human life and we're smart enough to keep surviving even if the shtf. But they're just tv shows right.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Renegade2283

If the power went off then what would happen to the new clear power plants? Do they create there own power supply or do they run off the grid?

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

Power plants have emergency backup via either battery or generator, however eventually the plants would suffer melt-down once all of the power is used up and there is no way to cool the reactors.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by pheniks

Instead of running to an island and hiding I was kind of thinking more along the lines of putting on a metal shark suit so they can't bite me, getting some great weapons and going on a killing spree to take by my country and make a safe place for others.... or you could hide on a island which is probably smarter but I would chose to take back my country.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join