It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Walking Dead and other SHTF shows.....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Anyone else following ......The Walking Dead...... or ..... Revolution ......etc etc

I wonder how realistic some of those shows are? Is that really how things would be if something catastrophic was to happen? Seems like you can learn some skills just by watching the shows.

I guess if there was a pandemic plus a emp / new-clear attack it's quite possible things could quickly go that way. I was listening to Alex Jones. He said that if the SHTF studies show that people would resort to cannibalism within 90 days. So like a year later unless things got settled down then it would be a real free for all type of scenario.

But anyway what do you think of those TV shows???

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 03:17 AM
link   
I watch The Walking Dead. Love the show!

It really highlights how the average human might react in an apocalyptic situation.

Although some of it is pretty unrealistic, such as Herschel's leg being bitten, then hacked off, then being able to walk within the next, I don't know, week. What about infection, blood loss?

Other than that, I really enjoy it!

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246
Anyone else following ......The Walking Dead...... or ..... Revolution ......etc etc

I wonder how realistic some of those shows are? Is that really how things would be if something catastrophic was to happen? Seems like you can learn some skills just by watching the shows.

I guess if there was a pandemic plus a emp / new-clear attack it's quite possible things could quickly go that way. I was listening to Alex Jones. He said that if the SHTF studies show that people would resort to cannibalism within 90 days. So like a year later unless things got settled down then it would be a real free for all type of scenario.

But anyway what do you think of those TV shows???

As far as realism; none. A device (or devices) that nullify all sources of energy (save steam) is as far from realism as one can get. Zombies? A virus that is carried in every single soul on the planet? Okay.....

Now, if we move away from those premises and focus on the actions I would say Walking Dead at least holds some credence on how the world would operate. Pockets of people banding together; trust at an all time low, few towns with authoritative rule, etc.

I am no fan of AJ and his prediction that we would revert to cannibalism might be true in very small areas, but overall, I do not think the human race would do so.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   
really, ask yourself, if shtf like this
wouldnt it be the first thing you do find a remote island, shoot every walker and viola..

i think this show is very unrealistic

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Walking Dead is a awesome show!!!!

Its funny how Sarah Wayne Callies played a character in a jail in prison break, & now this time she breaks into a prison for safety ..

edit on 5-11-2012 by FeelingPure because: missing words

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

the show does give some ideas in a fictional non stress environment (since zombies are fiction). but the analogy to non preppers does seem applicabl

but as far as learning ...check YouTube for "Armageddon "

otherwise the book "patriots" is more helpful even though i can tell the author understands financial markets from a completely self educated and thus incomplete usually when h tries to speak from a position of authority. makes me wonder if he is not a real expert in some other areas and just profiting from fear mongering like that Joe nobody author.

on my phone so having trouble pasting the YouTube link. its called "Armageddon " and it is by the History Channel.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

unfortunately not so. Google "science fiction is now science fact". they recently demonstrated EMP

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by pheniks
wouldnt it be the first thing you do find a remote island, shoot every walker and viola..

I know what you mean, at the least you would first seek to find the largest most defensible area, I am sure the US like other countries has a plethora of defensible areas (Factories, Forts, Prisons etc) that would be the first port of call for any survivors..

Within view of my window here I can see a small Island, a fort, a castle, shopping center and know of 2 underground bunkers on the hill opposite that would all be perfect first step in a similar setting, then there is the human spirit and ability to make a fort/castle/compound out of just about anything..

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Vendetta1776

An EMP device only affects electronics that are not hardened and in use. The show Revolution is premised that someone had an "off" switch and not even newly built devices will work. Are you sure you want to argue the realism here?

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Not sure what you have against violas!

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy

An EMP device only affects electronics that are not hardened and in use. The show Revolution is premised that someone had an "off" switch and not even newly built devices will work. Are you sure you want to argue the realism here?

Tell that to the shows writers who actually hired a "physicist" to ensure the shows realism. He even said that it would be "absolutely possible". So some physicist some where says it is possible, so it must.

In fact there was a thread about it but I did a search and has been 404'ed, anybody know why?

It was originally found here: ask.abovetopsecret.com... (just type "revolution show possible" and it is the first one)

ETA: I think I found out why, because the OP lied. The physicist never actually said that, sorry for jumping the gun.

In fact he said this:

“I had an answer that explains all the different facets – why the power went off, and why certain people are able to turn it back on — but of course that was coming from just a writer’s imagination,” Kripke told TVLine after the TCA session. “So we brought in a physicist and asked him very specific questions – if this technology were possible, and if this happened and this happened, would such a thing be possible? And he said that it would, that it actually explains it and makes sense.” Read More at: tvline.com...

edit on 5-11-2012 by Renegade2283 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   

How would you just "find" a remote island? It would be kinda difficult to get to with all the zombies and what not. Besides that idea was already brought up in the latest episode, so they beat you to it.

As for the realism, seemed rather accurate to me, except for some specific parts that I quickly got over. The really cool part about the show was that it gives you all these examples as to how the people react and then you can discuss with your friends and family what you would do different. It really gets your mind thinking about what you would do in similar situations.

As for a "zombie virus" being possible, I think it would.

I like how they described it in Zombieland: " Remember mad cow disease? Well mad cow became mad person became mad zombie. It's a fast acting virus that leaves you with a swollen brain, a raging fever, makes you hateful and violent and leaves you with a really bad case of the munchies."

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dawsy
Although some of it is pretty unrealistic, such as Herschel's leg being bitten, then hacked off, then being able to walk within the next, I don't know, week. What about infection, blood loss?

Well Carl found a bag of medical supplies shortly after it happened and I am sure it had some anti-septic in it. Also, they tied a tourniquet, probably pretty dang tight too. Though I am not sure that it would save you, but then again people during war time have survived amputation, how was that possible?

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Hey OP, I think you should add another show to that list. ABC has a relatively new show called "Last Resort", I think most people here on ATS would love it.

Here is a description, sorry it is rather lengthy but I didnt have much time to edit it down for a thread that is probably dead anyways.

The series is about the renegade crew of a United States Navy Ohio-class ballistic missile submarine, the fictional USS Colorado (SSBN-753). Following the at sea pick up of a clandestine U.S. Navy SEAL team off the coast of Pakistan, the Colorado receives an order to launch nuclear ballistic missiles at Pakistan. When Colorado 's Commanding Officer, Captain Marcus Chaplin (Andre Braugher), asks for confirmation of the firing order, because they were received through a legacy Cold War secondary communication channel, only to be used in the event that Washington, D.C. had already been destroyed, he is relieved of command by the then-Deputy Secretary of Defense William Curry. His second in command, Lieutenant Commander Sam Kendal (Scott Speedman), is put in command in his place, but when he, too, questions the orders and asks for confirmation, the vessel is fired upon by the Virginia-class submarine USS Illinois (SSN-786). Two nuclear missile strikes are subsequently made on Pakistan by other United States forces.

Realizing that they have been declared enemies of their own country, they and the crew seek refuge on the island of Sainte Marina (a fictional French island located in the Indian Ocean) and commandeer a NATO communications and missile warning facility. When a pair of B-1 bombers are sent to attack the submarine and island, Captain Chaplin launches a Trident nuclear missile towards Washington, D.C. to impress upon the national leadership that he is serious. The B-1s turn away at the last minute, but Chaplin (who has altered the missile's final target coordinates) allows the missile to visibly overfly Washington, D.C. and explode 200 miles beyond in the open Atlantic, the explosion clearly visible from both Washington and New York City. Via a television feed to the media, he then declares a 200 mile exclusion zone around the island Sainte Marina.

Now the crew must find a way to prove their innocence and find out who in the United States Government has set them up so that they can finally return home

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I have one question about the show the walking Dead...maybe someone out there knows.
With all the zombies walking around,who keeps cutting the grass?????

edit on 5-11-2012 by nighthawk1954 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I have not seen Revolution. I am however a HUGE fan of the Walking Dead.

What turned me on to the show was the idea of what would happen in a true SHTF scenario, where you can no longer rely on Government and are forced to provide for yourself.

As far as AJ and people resorting to cannibalism... I think he is right. I dont know about any studies, but I do know about people caught in survival situations who ultimately did resort to cannibalism in order to eat and stay alive. One famous case was the story of a Rugby team's plane that went down in the Andes in 1972 between Chile and Argentina.

It is an amazing survival story in some very harsh conditions. Freezing temps, high altitudes, lack of supplies, plenty of injured. No food, no water. Eventually they resorted to eating the dead which consisted of family and friends.

1972 Andes flight disaster

So I have no doubt that in a true SHTF scenario where there is a shortage of food. Many people would resort to cannibalism if it was a matter of survival.

As far as the TV shows, I enjoy them. I get ideas from watching them. However, one must remember that it is entertainment. Not everything you see is a blueprint. Many parts are very unrealistic and would not work in a real world scenario and these shows are not a "how to" guide. They have creative license to exaggerate for the sake of telling the story, but there is some things to be taken from them.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I love shtf shows, and kinda would like to be around for a zombie scenario. but after watching the divide, i do not want to dig in with any body. that movie put to much of a realistic spin on survival i would think that is how stuff would play out if you dug in with un prepared people. i know its not a shtf show but i think castaway would be more up my alley.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dawsy
I watch The Walking Dead. Love the show!

It really highlights how the average human might react in an apocalyptic situation.

Other than that, I really enjoy it!

Ya but old farmers poop nails and breath fire. You could amputate every limb he has and leave him for dead in minus -40c at the north pole, and you'll come home from work the next day and he'll be relaxing on your recliner watching the football game with his limbs grown back, and a Ak 47 in his hand ready to blow your head off.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Give us an example of what you mean by 'hardened and in use???"

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Renegade2283

Tell that to the shows writers who actually hired a "physicist" to ensure the shows realism. He even said that it would be "absolutely possible". So some physicist some where says it is possible, so it must.

In fact there was a thread about it but I did a search and has been 404'ed, anybody know why?

It was originally found here: ask.abovetopsecret.com... (just type "revolution show possible" and it is the first one)

ETA: I think I found out why, because the OP lied. The physicist never actually said that, sorry for jumping the gun.

In fact he said this:

“I had an answer that explains all the different facets – why the power went off, and why certain people are able to turn it back on — but of course that was coming from just a writer’s imagination,” Kripke told TVLine after the TCA session. “So we brought in a physicist and asked him very specific questions – if this technology were possible, and if this happened and this happened, would such a thing be possible? And he said that it would, that it actually explains it and makes sense.” Read More at: tvline.com...

Well they have UFO's obviously so they must have the technology to turn off all power if need be. They have nation wide kill switches for: people, power, utilities, communications,

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join