It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The most AGGRESSIVE nation on earth!!! (Guess before clicking...)

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by tpg47

Yeah, and your asses being kicked

But, nonetheless, with money and numbers the Boer War was "won"

edit on 09/02/2012 by KaelemJames because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
There is that old conspiracy that Britain runs the US and considering past history it would not surprise me one bit.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by kykweer
Don't forget how they gave birth to concentration camps where they starved and murdered women and kids.

Wrong. Try looking up who first introduced The Concentration Camp. It was in fact The Spanish:-

suite101.com...

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Eh you all keep arguing semantics and petty nonsense. Let's just get down to the bread and butter shall we? If we were to square off.. the brits wouldn't make it very far
that's all that matters right? The alpha male? Without any help, there are few major nations the brits can take on alone.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by alldaylong
reply to post by SLAYER69

Britain didn't think that America was that important to keep as a colony at the time of the American Revolution. The "Jewel" in the British Empire was always India. The British had to commit troops to fight in India between 1774-1784 and made that it's priority.

Priority to do what over in India?

To ''Colonize' or 'be adventurous' or was that just more of their "colorful past'........

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Originally posted by BritofTexas
And you left out the 'u'.

Etymology

Middle English colo(u)r, from Anglo-Norman colur, from Old French colour, color, from Latin color, from Old Latin colos "covering", from Proto-Indo-European *kel- ("to cover, conceal"). Akin to Latin cēlō (“I hide, conceal”). Displaced Middle English blee (“color”), from Old English blēo. More at blee.

I prefer the Latin spelling not French

Pfffft slay, french is a latin language

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Britain didn't think that America was that important to keep as a colony at the time of the American Revolution. The "Jewel" in the British Empire was always India. The British had to commit troops to fight in India between 1774-1784 and made that it's priority.

Priority to do what over in India?

To ''Colonize' or 'be adventurous' or was that just more of their "colorful past'........

There priority was very much to Colonize. Such as it was with America where you now live and take advantage of.doing so. Or am i wrong? You are after all a product of British Colonialism are you not
edit on 5-11-2012 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni

Pfffft slay, french is a latin language

True true but the point he was making is that it's not how the "English" spell the word which is actually Old French

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

There priority was very much to Colonize. Such as it was with America where you now live and take advantage of.doing so. Or am i wrong?

Yes.

You are after all a product of British Colonialism are you not

That really depends on which State of the union you're talking about. Some are loosely based on the French [Louisiana] and others on Spain [Florida, California. etc ] with thousands of Cities and towns with Dutch, German, French and Spanish etc origins and names.

It isn't so cut and dry...

edit on 5-11-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

So how many of your Founding Fathers where of Non-British origin? Just a thought

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
Well, did you win your "independance" or what?

That's right. The crown wasn't just going to roll over and give it to us.

And yea, colonising - out with the old and in with the new.

The Spanish had a big enough pair to call it what it was...

Conquistadors

Just a quick note to say your response put the emphasis on "win" instead of "Independence".

And does not fully satisfy me

Although I appreciate you might find that irrelevant.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
Although I appreciate you might find that irrelevant.

I find it relevant.

Somebody still held a grudge till 1814 when they burned the white house to the ground

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

So how many of your Founding Fathers where of Non-British origin? Just a thought

Let's see 13 colonies and 37 States later including the Louisiana purchase from France which doubled the country and the purchase of the entire West Coast from Spain I'd say much has changed since 1776

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ear-Responsible
Eh you all keep arguing semantics and petty nonsense. Let's just get down to the bread and butter shall we? If we were to square off.. the brits wouldn't make it very far
that's all that matters right? The alpha male? Without any help, there are few major nations the brits can take on alone.

And there's me thinking that John Wayne was long gone. You are the biggest and strongest and 'that's all that matters, right ' ?
Wrong, on so many levels.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Let's see 13 colonies and 37 States later including the Louisiana purchase from France which doubled the country and the purchase of the entire West Coast from Spain I'd say much has changed since 1776

[/quote

Take a look at the list of your Founding Fathers at the bottom of the page:-

en.wikipedia.org...

I would say that made you a product of The British Empire would it not?

You mention the purchase of land from Spain and France. Would that be COLONIAL Spain and France lol

In fact you are wrong about the whole of the west coast being non-British. Britain gave you Oregon

en.wikipedia.org...

You really should know more about your own countries history

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Take a look at the list of your Founding Fathers at the bottom of the page:-

en.wikipedia.org...

I would say that made you a product of The British Empire would it not?

You mention the purchase of land from Spain and France. Would that be COLONIAL Spain and France lol

In fact you are wrong about the whole of the west coast being non-British. Britain gave you Oregon

en.wikipedia.org...

You really should know more about your own countries history

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Guessed it was us Brits, before clicking !

Nowadays we can mostly be found playing lapdog to the EU, specifically Germany.

But one day, we will take back control ! (insert uncontrollable cackle)

You have been warned

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Who was Britain named after ? Answer: Brutus of Troy
reply to post by Rapha

No it wasn't, that's an urban myth.

Not a history buff, but I can't remember an "invasion" of Italy by the British other than during the Second World War.

What kind of paint thinner were they sniffing when they decided to create Israel? Good job there lads. Mossad are a right lovely bunch to be proud off. 9/11 and all that.

edit on 5/11/12 by Morg234 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
The days of Empire are long gone and we will never know if we'd stayed at home what the world would be like now.

Our lasting legacy is the English language which encompasses many phrases and words from across the whole world and without which the internet would be a very difficult place to navigate.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rapha

The most AGGRESSIVE nation

or

The most Adventurous nation on Earth.

Who was Britain named after ?

Answer: Brutus of Troy who trekked across much of Europe after being banished from Italy.

So maybe its in our blood to journey to new lands.

And lets not forget the Saxons (vikings) who also left their bloodlines amongst the British locals and took great risks of adventuring across rough seas into unknown lands.

actually britain is an anglicization of "Prydain" the old welsh gaelic name for wales.
the norman version of this name is Breton.

it was never after brutus... thats a myth.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join