It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The most AGGRESSIVE nation on earth!!! (Guess before clicking...)

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
In a sick and twisted way, I feel kind of proud to be British.

edit on 5-11-2012 by Just Chris because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by MaMaa

And why do you dislike us British so much?
Saying that we have "Mutt" blood?
Well I agree with you we are a mongrel nation, we have had countless invaders, people coming over here mixing many different cultures and that is what puts the GREAT into us GREAT Britons
Don't see any GREAT americans nor GREAT germans, nah just Great Britons

So we are a mongrel nation and I for one am proud of that

Oh I don't dislike all of you, just have met a few awful ones. Rude, cynical, mean spirited ones. As for the mutt comment, I just meant that my Irish and Scottish heritage is probably not so pure, I'm sure somewhere along the line there might be British ancestry mixed in.. thus making it mutt or a mix breed of sorts. But really, lets be honest, how much of the world is just that.. mongrel? How many can claim pure genetics? The United States is a mongrel nation as well and I for one love it. I can appreciate that you feel so strongly about your greatness, I feel the same about my own country. Although when I was homeschooling my kids last year I was teaching early US history and found myself honestly hating the origins of my own country. Maybe it is because I also have part Native American in me, but the very idea that a country just goes into another as if they have some sort of god given right to take whatever the hell they please is disgusting. I simply don't understand the idea of just invading someone else's country and taking it over, it seems wrong to me. And after reading up a little on some of our founding fathers I realize that they were not exactly the great wonderful men that our history books taught us. But then again, history is written by the victors I suppose.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Originally posted by daaskapital
By the way, the American Revolution wasn't really a big deal to the British as they had more important things to worry about. The uprising would have been a little blip on the radar.

Yeah yeah yeah ,Play it down.

I think that little blip didn't do so bad over the next 236+ years

If the British really believed it was important, then they would have sent more forces over there...they didn't. They had a lot of forces hanging out in the Caribbean that they decided not to send into the American theatre because in their opinion, the loss of Sugar was more damaging than the loss of a few colonies (if they left, the remaining forces would have got overwhelmed by the opportunistic French and Dutch).

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09

I'll allow Al Murray to speak for me on this one...

Thanks for the video.

At least he is making generalizations funny.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by tpg47
Yeah , us Brits know how to kick ass

you mean USED to kick ass.

Also... wasn't there a saying somewhere... the sun never sets in the British empire.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital
If the British really believed it was important, then they would have sent more forces over there...they didn't. They had a lot of forces hanging out in the Caribbean that they decided not to send into the American theatre because in their opinion, the loss of Sugar was more damaging than the loss of a few colonies (if they left, the remaining forces would have got overwhelmed by the opportunistic French and Dutch).

I dont think it was a habit of British Generals surrendering their forces and turning over their swords.

Linky

The British musicians had it right when they played The World Turned Upside Down on October 19, 1781. On that day British forces commanded by Lieutenant General Lord Cornwallis marched out of their fortifications at Yorktown, Virginia between ranks of Continental Army and French troops.

Cornwallis, feigning illness, dispatched Irish born Brigadier General Charles O'Hara to do the distasteful duty. O’Hara attempted to offer the sword of surrender to the senior French officer, the Comte de Rochambeau who declined pointing to General George Washington. Washington, irked at Cornwallis’s breach of decorum, likewise refused to accept the sword from an inferior officer. He chose his subordinate, General Benjamin Lincoln, who had been humiliated at the surrender of Savannah, Georgia, to accept the sword. 7,087 British and German mercenary officers and enlisted men and 840 sailors from the British fleet in the York River lay down their arms.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
wow are we really fighting over the whether the american revolution was of any importance to the british? I'm still on page 4 drooling over the Aussie men.... anyone got a mop? hahahahaha... seriously the brits got canada.. i say it was a good deal... those cannucks never knew the difference anyways lol

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

And they say Latins a dead language.. Lulz.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Don't forget how they gave birth to concentration camps where they starved and murdered women and kids.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
So this thread is Britain Vs USA now?

Thanks OP, I Guessed USA but was all the time thinking It could of been us that were the most "aggressive" were no angels when it comes to world politics and we'v been around longer.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny

Is it really?

Middle English, from Anglo-French langage, from lange, langue tongue, language, from Latin lingua tongue

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePeopleParty
So this thread is Britain Vs USA now?

Thanks OP, I Guessed USA but was all the time thinking It could of been us that were the most "aggressive" were no angels when it comes to world politics and we'v been around longer.

I figured it would have been the US or the British. Being the most aggressive isn't exactly something to be proud of, no matter which country is guilty of it. I know the US is a very aggressive country and I disagree with much of what my government does.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by kudegras
They only have croc's up north and you'd have to be an idiot to go anywhere near them where its dangerous.
There are plenty of tourist trips where you are perfectly safe with people who know how to handle them.
Yep, it's as close to paradise as your likely to get.

That sounds like paradise to me! that's why i am emigrating to Darwin in January......

Britain has had a very good run but the golden age is long gone and the slow decay of civilization has begun... the state of rome after it fell was much the same and it took until the renaissance to recover

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
WOW....

At least I know where all the bigots, xenophobes and morons are hanging out.

My country is better than yours.... blah blah

What a stupid, divisive and ignorant thread.

If America had any history and was older than some of my T-shirts, they too would have probably conquered the world or had an armada or or had an empire.

It's history now... it's old news.

Who cares?

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Just Chris
I'm a sick and twisted way, I feel kind of proud to be British.

So am I

But don't let them know that.
I'm a 'Merikan' and I have to keep their feet to the coals.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

There's no pissing contest here.
Did you actually read the thread?

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

which is why it was said that the sun never sets on the british empire

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Impressive indeed, OP! Everybody knew this was such a big empire, but actually seeing on a map all the land they've invaded is pretty much unbelievable.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Britain didn't think that America was that important to keep as a colony at the time of the American Revolution. The "Jewel" in the British Empire was always India. The British had to commit troops to fight in India between 1774-1784 and made that it's priority.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Originally posted by Sinny

Is it really?

Middle English, from Anglo-French langage, from lange, langue tongue, language, from Latin lingua tongue

Hey, I'm just tellin you what the education system told me! Lol

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join