It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The most AGGRESSIVE nation on earth!!! (Guess before clicking...)

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by denver22

Originally posted by andy06shake
reply to post by denver22

Brad Pitt played that part to perfection such a funny movie! I love Snatch! The movie is good as well! LoL

It's funny as 8 out of 10 americans think we speak posh and sip tea in saucers like in the propaganda sterotyping drivel that gets spread..

Posh..not all..not most even.
Tea in saucers? naa
But the drinking about 7 gallons of tea a day...thats simply true...you know you can't deny that one.

Back to the accent thing though. Understand, the general english accent when compared to say, the arkansas accent is like listening to twanging mudmen to some victorian scholar..even if its some Manchester nasaly grumbling...
I blame our media..Brits are often the teachers, masters, or like the evil supervillans.

You lot do drink insane amounts of tea.
edit on 6-11-2012 by SaturnFX because: Fixed a thing

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

You might also argue that a Glaswegian accent is nothing like a Londoners or a Mancunian accent is in no way similar to someone from Edinburgh. The UK is 605 miles long. Containing 65 Million souls we are bound to sound different in the same way people from different parts of the USA sound different to one another. Accents are weird eh?

edit on 6-11-2012 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Brad Pitt played that part to perfection such a funny movie! I love Snatch! The movie is good as well! LoL

It's funny as 8 out of 10 americans think we speak posh and sip tea in saucers like in the propaganda sterotyping drivel that gets spread..

Tea in saucers? naa
But the drinking about 7 gallons of tea a day...thats simply true...you know you can't deny that one.

Back to the accent thing though. Understand, the general english accent when compared to say, the arkansas accent is like listening to twanging mudmen to some victorian scholar..even if its some Manchester nasaly grumbling...
I blame our media..Brits are often the teachers, masters, or like the evil supervillans.

No mate insane amounts of beer

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Tea in saucers? naa

Our men drink beer my freind and not the little cans of budweiser but pint cans i may add..
just saying. Do the scotts drink tea in abundance and the irish too nah your saloons were stocked
up with irish and scotts whiskey not tea my freind another contribution from the brits.

peace...

edit on 6-11-2012 by denver22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Went on a tour of that ship when I was a kid, also got to see the remains of the Mary rose.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Tea in saucers? naa

Our men drink beer my freind and not the little cans of budweiser but pint cans i may add..
just saying. Do the scotts drink tea in abundance and the irish too nah your saloons were stocked
up with irish and scotts whiskey not tea my freind another contribution from the brits.

peace...

edit on 6-11-2012 by denver22 because: (no reason given)

Well ya, Beer also, however..come on...I think the Irish gotcha beat there.
I know..a pub on every corner. When I lived outside London, I had 2 pubs in crawling distance to my home.

As far as beer...

One of the worst experiences I have had was beer in England...Bitter....
Its like you took this perfectly great drink...shoved marmite in it, and let it sit in a warm room for a few days...
I think people like bitter to make everything else in life seem less horrible in comparison!!!

Scottish Whiskey is nice..makes you forget the haggis you just ate.
edit on 6-11-2012 by SaturnFX because: More coffee needed

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
From a Scots mans stand point i like nothing more than an ice cold pint of Tennents. But then again i like a bottle of room temperature Buckfast before the Football. Sad but true i know. How very stereotypical of me. LoL

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wongbeedman

Went on a tour of that ship when I was a kid, also got to see the remains of the Mary rose.

I'ts my hometown portsmouth and i am a proud of our heritage..

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   

You might also argue that a Glaswegian accent is nothing like a Londoners or a Mancunian accent is in no way similar to someone from Edinburgh. The UK is 605 miles long. Containing 65 Million souls we are bound to sound different in the same way people from different parts of the USA sound different to one another. Accents are weird eh?

England is odd like that.

Go a few miles and the accent is significantly different.

Your entire country is as big as my state (Florida), yet ya..whereas we might have a slight hint of differences from the southern tip Miami to the northern edge bordering Florida,

I think thats more community pride though than a natural evolution.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
the whole tea thing is silly. i for one never drink tea but on average drink 10 pints of larger a day.

to prove this fact about tea in England just walk up and down any towns high street and you will not see a tea shop (well getting rare and the odd caffe which dont count) but what you will see is all the coffee shops and for every coffee shop approx 10 to 20 pubs.

pubs are slowly closing due to i think high prices and smoking bans, why go out to the corner pub like times gone by when the cost of one pint will get you a 4 pack of largers (pints) from the supermarket and you can smoke to ur hearts content,

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   

"I think thats more community pride though than a natural evolution."

Thank you very much for such a kind complement. I wish that was true! Community pride atleast here in Glasgow seems to have gone the way of the dinosaur these days. LoL

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   

From a Scots mans stand point i like nothing more than an ice cold pint of Tennents. But then again i like a bottle of room temperature Buckfast before the Football. Sad but true i know. How very stereotypical of me. LoL

Buckfast!
Couldn't wish for a better stereotype! (unless you happen to have ginger hair and a propensity for wearing kilts?)

Bloody horrible stuff Buckfast..............and yet strangely addictive. I cursed my Scottish mate that introduced me to it for months afterwards........

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Community suspicion more like.

"Grrr, look at those dandies in the next village, don't understand a bloody word they say............coming here, taking our women........."

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

As far as beer...

Its like you took this perfectly great drink...shoved marmite in it, and let it sit in a warm room for a few days...
I think people like bitter to make everything else in life seem less horrible in comparison!!!

Bitter is more favoured by the older generation,... most of us drink beer not bitter

Keep up sir/mam when did you go to the motherland 1950s?

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Ahhh Buckfast! Puts hair on you chest and fire in your belly! LoL

As to the red hair, no sorry mate. I wish i had more hair left all the same! LoL

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Madcotto
the whole tea thing is silly. i for one never drink tea but on average drink 10 pints of larger a day.

to prove this fact about tea in England just walk up and down any towns high street and you will not see a tea shop (well getting rare and the odd caffe which dont count) but what you will see is all the coffee shops and for every coffee shop approx 10 to 20 pubs.

There are tea houses..but not many..more of the posh outing thing to do.
But go to someones home..anyones, and whats the first thing they say?
Cup of tea?
Everyone I visited from north to south, from council homes to posh estates...it was always the same...welcome, come in..cup of tea?

Now..if you were some scruffy commoner, you got PG, if you were of good character, you were offered twinings earl gray. Its this whole subculture thing.

When I was at work, the company was going on about changes and how they were also removing the electric kettles from the break room and installing some automatic vending style machine. You would have thought corporate shot someones baby.the uproar about not having quality tea, etc etc etc..it was, from a americans perspective, quite amusing.
I thought they were about to riot.

Managment decided to leave the kettles and keep the native from revolting.

But its more of a in home thing.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Twinings? Only when desperate my good fellow. Us proud Yorkshiremen only drink Yorkshire Tea (Yaaarkshire Tea). I even take a cup out when walking t'whippet!

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

As far as beer...

Bitter is more favoured by the older generation,... most of us drink beer not bitter

Keep up sir/mam when did you go to the motherland 1950s?

Not that long ago.
late 90s/early 2000s.
And plenty were drinking bitter..the norm was lagar, but bitter was around.

My first beer in England was something called Pedigree. I went to a pub, said I never had a british beer, let me have one they are proud of.
took me almost an hour to drink half it, then just gave up..I was not encouraged.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Got to admit, that I drink the warm local beer, however it is brewed from water from their own wells, which is probably why people build roads going round rather than through my backwards neck of the woods..

Am sure Thomas Paine drank way to much local beer in his pamphlet writing days... personally I blame the whole American revolution on that.. I mean would a Customs Officer join the headstrong club sober, especially one that meets down the local pub?

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Madcotto

There are tea houses..but not many..more of the posh outing thing to do.
But go to someones home..anyones, and whats the first thing they say?
Cup of tea?
Everyone I visited from north to south, from council homes to posh estates...it was always the same...welcome, come in..cup of tea?

Now..if you were some scruffy commoner, you got PG, if you were of good character, you were offered twinings earl gray. Its this whole subculture thing.

When I was at work, the company was going on about changes and how they were also removing the electric kettles from the break room and installing some automatic vending style machine. You would have thought corporate shot someones baby.the uproar about not having quality tea, etc etc etc..it was, from a americans perspective, quite amusing.
I thought they were about to riot.

Managment decided to leave the kettles and keep the native from revolting.

But its more of a in home thing.

In portsmouth there isn't much room for tea rooms lmao we have a pub on every corner every street
and we drink the beer not tea..lmfao

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join