It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient fungus 'revived' in lab

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Ok, these scientists neeed to be very cautious here, this stuff could grow and get out of hand and could be a problem to us all!!!

Fungus from a deep-sea sediment core that is hundreds of thousands of years old can grow when placed in culture, scientists have discovered.

Indian researchers say the fungi come from sediments that are between 180,000 and 430,000 years old.

The finding adds to growing evidence for the impressive survival capabilities of many microorganisms.

They are the oldest known fungi that will grow on a nutrient medium, the scientists say in Deep Sea Research I.

The core was drilled from a depth of 5,904m in the Indian Ocean's Chagos Trench.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 08:52 AM
link   
That is very interesting, my daughter is a biology mayor and she wants to go into microbiology, fungi fascinate her because its survival capabilities, I will ask her it she has any knowledge of this discovery

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Hmm never heard anything about this before, sounds interesting. Maybe with these things, then it might be possible in the future to find signs of maybe more possible life in the universe...

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 05:42 PM
link   
marg6043, i have never heard of a biology mayor. Pherhaps you ment major. But still an intresting subject,

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Interesting find.

Originally posted by bushfriend
marg6043, i have never heard of a biology mayor. Pherhaps you ment major. But still an intresting subject,

bushfriend...grow up! Marg's native language in not English, so there is no reason for you to flame her for it.

top topics

join