posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 10:04 PM
Madghacen (also spelled: Medracen or Medghassen or Madghis and also spelled Imadghassen, correct berber spelling Imedghasen) is a monument built
about 250-300 B.C. as the burial-place of the Numidian kings, and is located 60 km southwest of Constantine, Algeria. The form is that of a truncated
cone, placed on a cylindrical base, 60 m in diameter. It is 18 m high.
The building is made of stone along with cedar logs and sealed with lead
The columns encircling the cylindrical portion are stunted and much broader at the base than the top; the capitals are Doric. Many of the columns, 60
in number, have been much damaged. When the sepulchral chamber was opened in 1873 by Bauchetet, a French engineer officer, clear evidence was found
that at some remote period the tomb had been rifled and an attempt made to destroy it by fire.
It is an endangered piece of ancient history is on the list of 100 most endangered ancient buildings
The first mention of the mausoleum is in the 7th century AD by Al Bakri. he spoke of sixty reliefs that lined the outside of the building, but which
no trace remains. The Ottomans tried to break in but later archaeologist found that their effort had failed. The French excavated the tomb in mid 19th
century and found it had been robbed and set on fire in antiquity
The earliest known image of the site
Aerial photograph of the site
Most information on this site is in Arabic or French
Link to a French language wiki site covering