It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tabloids aren't reliable. Stop using them as sources!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Some people tend to believe everything they see without conducting further research. A lot of these people generally get their information from Tabloid sites and papers. I will tell you, nothing from a tabloid is reliable. They generally create sensational headlines. Furthermore, a lot of their stories are just that...stories. They aren't real, so to those people that use them regularly as sources, stop please.

I feel that the Doug Anthony All Stars sums it up best:

Note: This thread is directed at no one individual, rather, a broad range of people who do use these sites as sources.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

I'm not quite sure which sites you're implying, but I trust most alternative news websites more than I do the MSM!

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   

That 3 UFOs arriving soon, thread on the font page, got to you ....huh...

Des

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Lol Des, I was thinking the same thing.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

That 3 UFOs arriving soon, thread on the font page, got to you ....huh...

Des

No

It just made me remember of all the other tabloid sites out there. So i decided to post a thread about them. I have seen many people in the past post stupid things citing tabloids as proof. And many recently as well.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital
...I will tell you, nothing from a tabloid is reliable. They generally create sensational headlines. Furthermore, a lot of their stories are just that...stories. They aren't real, so to those people that use them regularly as sources, stop please.

Oh contrare my friend!:

On January 19, 2010, the Pulitzer Prize Board announced that the Enquirer is eligible for consideration for the Pulitzer Prize in the categories of Investigative Journalism and National News Reporting. This change is primarily due to the Enquirer's breaking the story of John Edwards' affair with Rielle Hunter.

In 2006, the Enquirer was the first newspaper to reveal that O. J. Simpson had written a book, If I Did It. The story was immediately denied by Simpson's lawyer, but was confirmed by release of the book one month later.

In 2003, the Enquirer published a story claiming that Rush Limbaugh was addicted to painkillers. Law enforcement authorities in Florida later confirmed that Limbaugh was under investigation, and Limbaugh later admitted the addiction and checked himself into a drug rehabilitation facility.

In 2008, the Enquirer reported the marital troubles of Mel Gibson and Billy Joel, both of whom announced their divorces several months later.

In January 2009, the Enquirer ran a story claiming that pop star Michael Jackson was gravely ill and had "six months to live."[25] Just under six months later, in June 2009, Jackson went into cardiac arrest and died in Los Angeles.

In September 2009, the Enquirer broke the story of Jackson's final resting place, Forest Lawn.

Two months later, just before Tiger Woods' auto accident near his Florida home, the Enquirer was the first to allege that he was having an extramarital affair. Shortly after this report, several other women came forward in other publications alleging affairs with Woods, who eventually admitted to having been unfaithful to his wife.

en.wikipedia.org...

Just funnin' a little.

edit on 4-11-2012 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
On the other hand they'll read tabloids and fairy tales form the Bronze Age, and then call one interpretation (that some pastor sucked out of his thumb) "religion".

At least tabloids are representative of modern times and what people are interested in, and not some prescriptive sham like religion.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

Fair enough

A rare exception i presume

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Why so serious?

You realize the problems we would have if everyone was aware of how "Fu(ked" we are?

You and me are way better off just pretending things are ok.

I leave with a song

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
If i ever do that smack me.

Then theres sorcha FAIL. Remember when 380 michigan rebels were bombed in alpena mi? It was on the front page anyway. Atleast now we onow what the booms are. Unfortunately the only booms i hear at my house are jake brakes on trucks. i also live next to a warehouse though

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
ATS is awash with bad sourcing and a chronic lack of members to critically assess they highly questionable sources they do use. Many suffer from extreme confirmation bias, they develop a predetermined believe such as “The NWO are killing our cats” and then will find sources that back up these claims that might range from wiki, YouTube to Info wars if they can find a MSN source as well that will do to.

They are grossly inconsistent, on the one hand the MSN, academics, eye witnesses and anything official such as NGO and governmental reports and unreliable as they are all “in on it” or in some way “bias”. Yet as soon as these same sources legitimise their already predetermined believe in some way they are treated as gospel.

ATS members always post what they want, “evidence” is cherry picked and nobody bothers to critically assess or substantiate these “sources” with something more credible and independent.

It’s a joke really that a bunch of people so oblivious to the errors of their sourcing often regard themselves what I like to call the “intellectual elite” of the internet, in truth they are no better than any tabloid rag. That is probably why they will use them so willingly

new topics

top topics

join