It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How does power effect a person's mind and personality?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   

What ways does power and tangible power(money,weapons,etc) effect a persons mind over time?

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by John_Rodger_Cornman

I think it really depends on the individual. I grew up in a suburb of a very large metropolitan city and have pretty much been a part of the local music scene since I was in high school. I've known quite a few individuals in bands that have made something of themselves, and others who destroyed themselves the moment they had any recognition or money.

The unfortunate thing is some of the nicest down to earth guys I've known who have made something for themselves have become incredibly different. I don't know if it's the money or the "fame" but they have grown an extreme sense of entitlement and view pretty much anyone who isn't a successful musician or celebrity as dirt. It's like they feel they are more important, and their lives are the only ones that matter.

I do know some who have made the transition to "lime light" and are still pretty much the same, besides the fact they can't really do half of the things they use to do before the recognition.

In reality, I think it's the sheer fact we let these people get away with the things they do. Power/money/fame, we tend to look up to these people, and in a world where money can get you pretty much anything how wouldn't it corrupt them?

I suppose in a lot of cases power is like anything. There are those that can handle it, and themselves, and those that can't.

Like alcohol or other drugs. Not all people are drug addicts, not all people use drugs. Not every person that has a glass of wine or beer turns into an alcoholic. How ever there are those that all it takes is a sip, and everything comes crashing down.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   

You could of just U2Ud a MOD this question...

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Funny, I just had this conversation with my daughter a few moments ago--about leadership,
responsibility and the way it changes a person.

I referenced the Zimbardo test at Stanford where some college students were assigned
as guards as some as prisoners, and how it changed the respective student's behavior.

My son once got offered a promotion from peon to manager, and I recall telling him I thought
it would effect him--change in posture, tone of voice etc., and how it would probably carry over
into the way he acted even when he wasn't on the job.

I have a hard time empathizing with those that seek power. I can't imagine any benefit from
controlling others that isn't strictly driven by greed, other than to seek power for the sole
purpose of giving it all back...

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Imagine if you could saves lives or let them die(start wars, cancer/thermerisol vaccines,chem trails,fluoride) or crush people careers and reputations(blackmail, The magic sextape trick,made up innuendo etc).

That type of power is dangerous in the wrong unelected hands.
edit on 4-11-2012 by John_Rodger_Cornman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Since you asked a complex question, I'll give you a complex answer.

You are talking about the fine line of separation between what is man, and what is God.
Power has nothing to do with money. Money may be a thwarted attempt at power, but money is never power.

Here:

Hi wa Ri ni katazu,
Ri wa Ho ni katazu,
Ho wa Ken ni katazu,
Ken wa Ten ni katazu,

Earthly power is not really power. I see it as negative growth, on the other side of the zero. It is this thought I reflect on when dealing with baddies, in the realm of spirit. Everything is opposite of what it seems, and then you may begin to understand just how powerless they really are. A child is more threatening than someone who has racked up years of reverse 'power'. That is precisely why they need to flaunt and exert their supposed strength. It isn't that they have little power. They have less than zero power. They are below the number line, and cannot attain one spiritual cent, should they decide to liquidate their worth. The more 'power' that they hold, the further from Power they are.

Bigger they come, harder they fall.

Like I said...complex. This will explain their fear. It will not justify it, however. They earned every penny of it.

edit on 4-11-2012 by davidmann because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Power gives you that feeling of being safe and invincible .

Sooner or later those that gave you that power realize what a fool you and they were,then chaos ensues.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   

I have studied this in my self. I am not "powerful" by any stretch. But I have gained an amount of influence in certain channels.

I am very mindful of how I treat people, however. So I still will treat people no differently. With the exception that I am far, far more direct than I used to be.

I think answering your question with "It is different for everyone, depending on each individual) is the only real answer.

If one can remain humble, then they have a chance of keeping their soul. But if the ego takes over, that is when bad things happen.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
Power gives you that feeling of being safe and invincible .

Sooner or later those that gave you that power realize what a fool you and they were,then chaos ensues.

Those who feel invincible are the fools whose power doesn't last.

Those with lasting power feel opposite of invincible. They think others think like them, so they become paranoid and far less rational.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Look at actors,politicians and criminals. Look at how power changes them over time.

They cannot p1ss off the power structure so they play ball with the insiders so they don't get cut off by them.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Those with lasting power feel opposite of invincible. They think others think like them, so they become paranoid and far less rational.

And more dangerous.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Maybe.

But i have found a whole segment of the business world that thinks like I do. Holds people in the same regard I do.

After being groomed in the corporate world, it is truly a breath of fresh air to find people who have such influence and power, while also being real people that you can be proud to associate with.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Infinitely so.

I have swam in some pretty shallow ponds with some pretty big sharks. It is very anxiety driving. While I can play those games, it eats my soul so I just stay out of the corporate world now.

I have taken the best parts of corporate structure (like centralized payroll, data management and reporting, each business unit is set up as a triad of CEO/COO/CFO, etc).

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

Maybe.

But i have found a whole segment of the business world that thinks like I do. Holds people in the same regard I do.

After being groomed in the corporate world, it is truly a breath of fresh air to find people who have such influence and power, while also being real people that you can be proud to associate with.

How do you keep the influence from making you insane? Like it did to Bill Gates and Ted Turner.

What happens when a person wants to be god or "prince of humans" or something. Whats to stop them from attempting to pretend to be god.

edit on 4-11-2012 by John_Rodger_Cornman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   

There are two kinds of leaders:

- Those who desire power and work hard to get that power

- Those who just have people start following them

The first is a certain kind of person. I see police officers derive from the first group very frequently.

The second group are the ones I seek out. They are the ones who don't go crazy, but rather just continue on with business, uninfluenced by their own influence.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by rival

I am just gonna add notes

Stanford Prison experiment

The Stanford prison experiment was a study of the psychological effects of becoming a prisoner or prison guard. The experiment was conducted at Stanford University from August 14 to August 20 of 1971 by a team of researchers led by psychology professor Philip Zimbardo.[1] It was funded by the US Office of Naval Research[2] and was of interest to both the US Navy and Marine Corps as an investigation into the causes of conflict between military guards and prisoners.

Twenty-four male students out of 75 were selected to take on randomly assigned roles of prisoners and guards in a mock prison situated in the basement of the Stanford psychology building. The participants adapted to their roles well beyond Zimbardo's expectations, as the guards enforced authoritarian measures and ultimately subjected some of the prisoners to psychological torture. Many of the prisoners passively accepted psychological abuse and, at the request of the guards, readily harassed other prisoners who attempted to prevent it. The experiment even affected Zimbardo himself, who, in his role as the superintendent, permitted the abuse to continue. Two of the prisoners quit the experiment early and the entire experiment was abruptly stopped after only six days. Certain portions of the experiment were filmed and excerpts of footage are publicly available.

Link to youtube video

Not sure it runs counter to t and C so I just put the liink

and

Milgram Experiment

The Milgram experiment on obedience to authority figures was a series of notable social psychology experiments conducted by Yale University psychologist Stanley Milgram, which measured the willingness of study participants to obey an authority figure who instructed them to perform acts that conflicted with their personal conscience. Milgram first described his research in 1963 in an article published in the Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology,[1] and later discussed his findings in greater depth in his 1974 book, Obedience to Authority: An Experimental View.[2]

same a youtube vid

official studies in the area... my opinion power behavior follows a formula
edit on 4-11-2012 by ripcontrol because: sleep time

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Power corrupts you, end of story.

BTW, how do you get away with having a big ass link to an external website on your threads...?

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by John_Rodger_Cornman

What ways does power and tangible power(money,weapons,etc) effect a persons mind over time?

you dont sleep,you lose your abilty to write, talk and communicate afectivly.

People with out power use no more in a life time 3 to 4 % of the entire brain. When you have certain abilities your brain opens up to about 33 to 47%, and when that opens, it affects the doors that were already opened on a mortal scale.

Lp527 copy written November 5th 3012.

Before humans learned how to talk, or write, or draw, humans around the world used telekinesis and telepathy/mass telepathy, but after certain events ,humans was embedded with language ,and basically how to live mortal.
With out going into a long story> The frequency was blocked>but some can still hear the frequency ,and some never stopped hearing it.
Its not power ,its something that will always be in every human on earth, and will never leave…you will see DECEMBER 21st.
Lp527 copy written November 21st 3012.

Fyi. The Mayans found out that batteries don’t last but 200 some thousand years.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by XxNightAngelusxX

Power corrupts you, end of story.

BTW, how do you get away with having a big ass link to an external website on your threads...?

I requested Springers permission before I did it. It was given.

On my blog, i throw people back towards ATS, returning the favor of sending traffic to the best of my ability.

ETA: power does corrupt. How corrupting it is depends on your character. I hvae an assistant. My assistant is never allowed to do things for me. They have their specific job duties, i have mine. I do not allow my authority over them to get turned into subservience to me. Little things like that are how i prevent my own corruption. Doesn't mean that there isn't still something that is unseen. But being eternally introspective, I do what I can as soon as I can to keep myself with high integrity and character.
edit on 5-11-2012 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Seeing how your a terrorist and believe in freedom and entrepreneurship why don't you tell us how you keep from being a administrative task master or god jr?

How did you stay sane and others free based raw power and abused innocent people?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join