Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Bloomberg, Brooklyn and the National Guard...

page: 1

join

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Well, earlier this evening I finally heard from my friend up in the NYC area. He's okay, and had quite a bit to say. Among the things he shared was a concern for security across the boroughs and the feeling of growing frustration from the people in them. Apparently, things are every bit the mess we see on TV and then some. So, it's with confusion I found this story shortly after seeing his updates and news.

Bloomberg kept National Guard out of NYC because they had guns?

Mayor Bloomberg has snubbed Borough President Markowitz’s impassioned plea to bring the National Guard to Hurricane Sandy-scarred Brooklyn — arguing that approving the Beep’s request would be a waste of federal manpower and turn the borough into a police state.

“We don’t need it,” Mayor Bloomberg said on Wednesday during a press update on the city’s ongoing Hurricane Sandy cleanup. “The NYPD is the only people we want on the street with guns.”

What the? This isn't the Guard pushing their way in or Washington trying to force them in. This is the President of Brooklyn saying, flat out, they need this support and they need this help. *DENIED*.

This is a time when leaders up and down the east coast are loudly singing the praises of the National Guard for their rapid deployment and efficient rescue, recovery and security work. It’s also a time when people out on Staten Island are hanging on by a thread, with looting and violence being a serious threat on top of the hurricane’s destruction. Who in their right mind even suggests that Guardsmen carrying their weapons is an issue at a time like this? I understand wanting to express your support of and confidence in the police department and the firefighters, but even some of the finest first responders in the nation are completely swamped by the magnitude of this disaster. They could use the help and the Guard stands ready to provide it.
Source

I don't want to talk too far into a corner without hearing more perspective from others who live there and have more directly personal opinions on this, but I'm in complete confusion as to his motives here? I can imagine some...but I'm trying not to assign such petty and mercenary political motives in a time of such suffering up there. I'm just lost as to the reasoning when any police freed up in Brooklyn COULD be used in other areas that are absolutely in need of security and presence overnight right now. I respect the NYPD for their professional ability, but even that Department isn't very big when the City isn't a place of accepted order and respect for law right now.

I wonder how this goes...if people are hurt or worse in Brooklyn and lack of security or direct delivery of aid and assistance is partially the cause?

Anyone have more information or insight on this?

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I don't know whether Bloomberg said that, but I will tell you the National Guard has finally been deployed.

It took a while - first signs I saw of them was Friday, so maybe Bloomberg did try to fight it but, like the marathon, he was overruled. He really is doing a very poor job handling this "recovery". He just doesn't get it and he truly doesn't care about people.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

Hmmm... Well, very happily, I may stand corrected by events. I found this on a current deployment list of Guard and Federal assets. No Guard is listed as being IN Brooklyn specifically yet. Not from outside anyway...and stories about them being denied are still showing as recent as 4 hours ago from national and local media alike....Yet....

800 plus National Guard members and 200 plus more vehicles expected to arrive at Floyd Bennett Field, Brooklyn, N.Y., no later than tomorrow.
Source

No arguing that.

Thanks for the update to my thread here. I hadn't found that deployment list before now and wouldn't have, if it hadn't been back checking my own story again in response to your note.

It' almost a story in itself.....that actual media and not just private blogs are carrying this as a valid story right into this evening. Information seems to be a real wild thing for accuracy right now. That can't be helpful to those folks inside the disaster and with limited means to verify anything.
edit on 4-11-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
The only people Bloomberg wanted that had guns were those he had control of. In my opinion, there is only one word for how badly Bloomberg handled this crisis - FUBAR!

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Wow! He really did say it --

edit on 4-11-2012 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
and the sad thing is that a snow storm is coming and so many people have no homes, nothing....and Red Cross and FEMA are only doing lip service to appease the news media when a politician comes in for some camera time.

Been saying this in a few threads now, PEOPLE - TAKE NOTE. The government will not be there when TSHTF, it is up to you to be as prepared as you can.

---------------

edit:

Love it, paperwork first, help later. How about some generators, food, water, shelter? WTF IS WRONG WITH THOSE PEOPLE?
edit on 4-11-2012 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

I wanted to note for the thread here, while back checking this one I came across the DOD site for daily updates of all currently active or being sent to become active in the efforts for Sandy. My next thread in profile covers their press release with all current deployments of Military assets.

The list is staggering...and a large % are active duty units. Obama really did tell th DoD to move everything they had. They appear to be doing just that. At least everything readily available and prepared for a quick deployment order. It goes on and on.

Anyway... I don't know about Bloomers or the Red Cross...or anyone else. However, the Military would seem to be in Overdrive and hauling butt with all they can carry or tow with them to help.

This is one of those moments when having a HUGE Military pays off for those people who are looking up and asking for anything to help right now.

I don't want to cross link my own content......posting the full press release to a thread probably tweaked someone's nose already on T&C..but it's life critical information so I hope the thread I did next, stands. If not or to get there from here....This is the DOD site:

Department of Defense Update on Sandy Deployments Nov. 4
edit on 4-11-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

Hes an Idiot.

See the Guns???

Locked and Loaded.........

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Agreed. He is an idiot. I for one appreciate and welcome the sights of the NG helping out those in need, wherever it may be.

My theory is Bloomberg didn't want 'his personal army' to look incompetent by requiring their assistance.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

given bloombergs "war against the poor" efforts to completely gentrify NYC
and his obviously psychopathic bent

i would not be surprised if the folks living in the subways and deeper levels [200+ underground levels, that are known of]
were neither warned of possible flooding, nor will be receiving any kind of aid

looks like new yorks chief psychopath wants total control of any aid/rescue efforts
the better to deny it to those he wants out of the city
and the better to hide any bodies

related:
Tens of thousands homeless in NYC could freeze to death www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 4-11-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: added edit and comment

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

I'd sure like to hear more about that too. Perhaps Occupy people could give more information on what happened down deep, after things settle down some. I asked that retired NYPD cop I know about that and he'd heard stories from Transit Cops and others about some of it but not much. Just wasn't his area or interest while on the job there. However, like it sounds you may have, I picked up a fascinating book years ago by a sociologist who braved the deep levels beneath NYC and tried to document things down there. The impression I got was a city within the city. Too far away to be touched...too large and isolated to be threatened...and essentially left alone. .....in this case? Yeah.. I worry about that. Alone could be literal.

I do know my friend had told me the cops don't even pursue people down the tunnels without giving some thought and a moment of pause to where exactly they are, where that tunnel goes and what is along the sides of it before entering. Stopped trains or not. I guess they had bad situations happen down there with cops learning the badge meant little the deeper they end up.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I hope this helps voters to decide on wether or not to reelect him
He's a moron, first tries to keep the NYC Marathon on, then makes an idiotic statement about not wanting the NYARNG in NYC because they have weapons
I was in the NYARNG during the Blizzard of 1996, and was deployed for Aid to Civil Authorities, and we werent issues weapons, just a Humvee, CUCV or Deuce and a half to help with aiding the civvies
What a moron
JACKWAGON

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Re - elect him? He bought a third term. Unprecedented in NYC history. Two terms was the limit.

He doesn't want anyone to think there are problems in his city. As long as Manhattan is pretty and clean for his tourists - that's all that matters.

People dying in the outer boroughs due to lack of response by the city needs is merely something that needs to be swept under the rug.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   

not much to tell
Manhattan island is solid rock and there are 200 lower levels according to a government doc i read decades ago
the lowest levels allegedly have toxic and nuclear waste stored down there according to the doc which IIRC was a civil defense report

oh yes, cops wont go down there, it is a "floating city" and a law unto itself down there
and it's not just the "morlocks" living down there, i'm sure spooks and who knows who else has exclusive access tunnels to various areas, [don't forget that deepnet site claiming to do vivisection/experiments on homeless down there as well]

no doubt bloomers considers it a thorn in his and his gentrification fantasies side, and no doubt he see's those folk as "rats that need to be flushed out"

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   

This is what I know first hand, most of which was reported by the news. Total gasoline shortage. Roadways to gas stations look like war zones and were creeping along at a snails pace due to power outages and no stop sighs or police directing traffic. Most stations were out of gas by Wednesday when the rain stopped and if you were lucky enough to find one, you had to wait in line for hours. People were irrational waiting on those lines and my son saw multiple fights break out amongst motorists. Power was/is out for days and people are becoming bored, frustrated and consequently, short-termpered and irrational. It's dangerous to drive in such a situation when people feel angry and there's no street lights directing traffic.

As for Bloomberg not initially wanting the National Guard, I agree that this was based on arrogrance, ego and a control issue. He gets off on seeming like the all mighty and has proven that he'll put the public's safety at risk just to maintain appearances. I also wouldn't doubt he wanted to avoid scuffles with the public who are becoming more awnery every day. I'm very curious to know why he finally agreed and whether a specific event helped to change his mind.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

Thank you, both you and Timidgal for the additional information and context on the NYC Underground. I thought I had an idea of what it was, but between the two of you...it gives an impression of being considerably more than that.

I've certainly seen cut-away diagrams of Manhattan Island as essentially sitting on solid rock, so they have a unique position as an Island in what they can do going down. The book I'd picked up didn't do the subject justice by the sound of it though.

Abandoned lines....old tunnels along side active ones...and then the additional infrastructure to run what is current and old. That is what the book I read talked about. The author, as I recall, hadn't gone into the structure and sheer size of the world down there beyond that. I'd thought of it more like the Subway systems of the old city taken over once they were abandoned to focus on the modern lines. So much more by the sound of it. I hope no one was left down there when the water flooded it.

Anyway, thanks! I hadn't really expected much reply on that. Instead of nothing to find, I go away with a new sense of what's there.

new topics

top topics

join