It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buckyballs to be discontinued due to "Choking Hazards"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Now, at first I thought "No kidding", but then I thought about it (for about half a second) more and realized how screwed up America is right now.

Amazingly, while everyone from WIRED to MAXIM to The New York Times has boasted about these tiny little magnetic balls of joy, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has basically deemed them to be just slightly less dangerous than trying to administer a hernia test to an unwilling gorilla. In fact, this past July, in their official lawsuit against the makers of Buckyballs, the commission noted that the magnets "contain a defect in the design, packaging, warnings and instructions which pose a substantial risk of injury to the public." It turns out kids like shiny things. And sometimes they swallow shiny things. But when those shiny things happen to be superpowerful magnets, it's actually a fairly serious health concern.

So now warning labels aren't enough to stop kids from swallowing things (because that stopped them before this, am I right?) and now good ol' Big Brother needs to step in to help take care of people's children.

Really? Is this how far backwards we've gone in the past few years? That now things like this (which doesn't stop the Safety Comission from outlawing those magnetic rocks you build necklaces out of, or thunderclappers) must be over viewed by the government to 'protect' it's people?

May God have mercy on the United States and her people...

www.cnn.com...

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I see it as natural selection. If a kid is stupid enough to choke to death on Buckyballs it didn't need to live and contribute to the gene pool.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrplHrt
I see it as natural selection. If a kid is stupid enough to choke to death on Buckyballs it didn't need to live and contribute to the gene pool.

And it might give the so called 'parents' of said child a reason to WATCH WHAT THEIR CHILDREN ARE DOING. and not letting them play with toys designed for people over the age of 18.

Parents should be fined for stupidity.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
So some kid swallows a few of these and starts pooping little shiny pooplets for a few days.

Kids have been crapping out nickels, dimes and quarters forever but that's ok I guess.

Peace

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Xen0m0rpH

I've been saying it for years.

All these safety warnings and safety devices are causing the idiofication of this country.
All the stupid kids who would have been weeded out in previous generations due to being stupid are now living to adulthood and producing even dumber kids.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
So some kid swallows a few of these and starts pooping little shiny pooplets for a few days.

Kids have been crapping out nickels, dimes and quarters forever but that's ok I guess.

Peace

The issue is that these things are magnetic so if they swallow a few there is a chance that the magnets would become attracted/get stuck/tear up their insides. It's a little different and I certainly understand why there is concern. That being said, you can still buy magnets anywhere.

Also isn't this really old news? I could have sworn it came up a year ago.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I guess it keeps the health care industry in business.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
This is kind of ridiculous. Just about anything can kill you. Should we all live in a bubble?

I don't want to seem heartless, I certainly don't want to see anyone choking but if a child is playing with a product, puts said product in his/her mouth and then chokes is that the products fault? Really?

I just don't understand it, I guess.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
OK, if a parent is dumb enough to give them to a toddler, chances are, the toddler isn't going to turn out to be very darn bright anyway... sheeesh

Why can't we just put all the chronically stupid people in a nice rubber room somewhere so the rest of civilization can move on?

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Is this another hype like Clackers, Aquadots and Slap Bracelets?

When I was a toddler, I would eat necklaces and stick precious stones in my ear and I still turned out fairly normal.

Kids these days are becoming a brainless lot...and I was born in the 90's.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Peace

Nah the problem is they swallow a few, and they stick together in their intestines and can pinch off arteries and what other things you need to keep living properly.

also kids can open a bottle of vodka and skoll it. We should outlaw vodka too. just incase!

its the only logical thing to do, we must save da childen.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
LOVE Buckyballs campaign ads, to show how silly this really is.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I have seen some amazing things that people create with these things. I dont see how they all of a sudden "ban" them as choking hazards. I guess all the small cheap Chinese toys that are brought over are fine as long as there is a "label" on them.

Buckyballs - Fullerene

Had to add this link.

edit on 4-11-2012 by hoochymama because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

It would definitely be much easier to just ban stupidity... would save us all a lot of trouble!

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten
reply to post by CALGARIAN

It would definitely be much easier to just ban stupidity... would save us all a lot of trouble!

That's one vote for a Law against stupidity. Any others? Let's get this bill rolling.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrplHrt

Are you kidding? We have reverse natural selection happening right now. The stupid people do stupid thing, then win million dollar lawsuits, allowing them to prosper and spread their stupid genes. Before long nobody will be allowed outside without a helmet.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Are you kidding? We have reverse natural selection happening right now. The stupid people do stupid thing, then win million dollar lawsuits, allowing them to prosper and spread their stupid genes. Before long nobody will be allowed outside without a helmet.

www.emaxhealth.com...

Don't believe it, even though it says

We probably won't see cheerleaders in helmets...

new topics

top topics

join