How Many Romney (GOP) Supporters Here Are Wealthy?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
You geniuses ever met a poor man who gave you a job?

Seriously. Here's the deal. I "own" a restaurant. Well, I think I do because I borrowed money to get it open. I've been in the biz for 30 years. I started out flipping burgers at Slim's Drive In. (P.S. He wasn't slim.) I paid attention and got several more restaurant gigs until I was a shift manager at denneys. Then I thought, this sucks, so I wound up in a "Ruth's Kris steakhouse" (Heard of them?) and after a few years there had saved enough to do my own place and you know what? You've never had a better filet! I employee several dozen people. Some of them make the minimum wage. Shock! Some weeks I wish I did because these 80 hour weeks are killers. Of course I can't work my employees 80 hours a week. First, it wouldn't be right. Second, time and a half for overtime. Oh, and the wait staff makes low bucks? Uh huh. $100 meals (minimum!) with $15-$20 tips per table times several dozen tables a night ain't small potatoes folks, even of you tip down. I have one gal who threw her change tips (not the $$s) into a box, just counted them up and bought a new car. You won't get that in your local Kountry Kitchen, but you do tables in a nice place and it gets serious. Course you can't call your customers "Hon" and you have to look good. Sorry. Class counts.

To my utter amazement and that of others I find myself in a position where I COULD, if I were willing, open up a second restaurant. The tea leaves are in place. It's actually doable. There's a place for lease on good terms because of the recession. But that would require me hiring several dozen more people and, you know, "creating jobs." The manager and asst manager jobs are pretty good, too. And a good chef? Serious bucks. But I'm not going to do it yet. The reason is that if I do I go over the threshhold and enter a new category where I must give full healthcare to anyone working 20 hours a week or over. And that costs me nearly $1000 per employee per month. That's part of the "Obamacare" guidelines buried in the small print.

So pay attention. If Romney wins. I'm opening a new place. If Obama wins, screw it. I don't need the grief. That's what me and every other small business owner is looking at. It won't be perfect under Romney because Big Government is always ragging on my butt. But if Romney wins, I'll be one happy camper and a few of you dweebs might even get off the unemployment roles. Imagine that. Working for a living. What a concept! You want a job or do you want the government to be your husband for your entire life?

I worked myself up from a friggin' burger flipper at Slim's. Why can't you? You vote Obama and we'll all be poor. Vote Romney and if you've got any energy at all, you can excel. Then you get a chance at being "wealthy" and still working your butt off trying to keep people in jobs. If you guys weren't so envious of people who work hard, you might get there yourselves. Sometimes the work ethic in this country just makes me sick.
edit on 11/4/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Excellent post Charles, I wish I could star it 10 times.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Now, I don't know what Romney will do with each of these issues, but I'm reasonably certain they'll just continue and get worse under Obama's second four.

So you are voting based on blind optimism?

You fully admit you don't know what Romney's plans are with the things you are concerned about (save obamacare, and even on that he has flip flopped). But you are going to vote for him. And what happens when Romney's positions on those things turn out to be even more extreme than Obama?

I really don't see Romney getting rid of the TSA, Drones, or the NDAA.

but his policies have increased income inequality, increased the number of poor, and decreased the median family income by thousands of dollars.

I'm sorry, but you can't blame Obama for the recession. Even Romney admits that.

The only thing you can do is say he isn't fixing it fast enough, because things have improved, that is undeniable, the facts speak for themselves. The ONLY argument is that he hasn't done it fast enough.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

That`s what some people here don`t want to see. Romney policies will not only benefit the riches, owners of small and medium business (medium class) will start to make progress again and that is what create jobs, not food stamps or populist measures.

link   
reply to post by Taiyed

It must be stressful for you trying to get out the vote for Obama, at this late date.....

Des

link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

All these medical and social perks the government can provide, are nice. But the bill for them will cause us to have nothing after a while.

This is simply not true, we just have to decide what our priority is on spending money.

Would you rather spend money on building more bombs, giving more subsidies to big oil, giving more tax breaks to the wealthy?

Or would you rather cut spending on those, and keep our social programs in place?

To me, it is a very simple decision. It is just amazing to me that we are only talking about cutting one of them though, no one even talks about ending the spending in the other direction.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Taiyed

YOU ARE WRONG... I am not rich.. but I am for Romney.. I would rather have a job, and a chance to do what I want to and not be told which ins I have to have.. I would rather be poor with Romney and shoot my own dinner than take a handout or welfare from OBAMA.. any dammmm day....

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taiyed
reply to post by Anundeniabletruth

I hate to tell you this, but Libertarians are even worse when it comes to the social safety net for the poor.

I agree with you, that does seem to be the reality. However, while complaining about the "wealthy" and whining about growing up poor, I never actually claimed that a "social safety net for the poor" is one of the key issues for my vote in this election. As a current college student who is living off of financial aid and fairly small profits from a "small business" of which I was able to start with money from a student loan that I really wish I wasn't forced into, I just want to have a "real job" waiting on me when I finish college and neither Romney or Obama seem to offer that.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Taiyed

YES bring it on.. Let them know who to stay away from.. DO NOT MESS WITH AMERICA ..

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by hououinkyouma
reply to post by Taiyed

As I said before, the real world is not perfect. Most of the people abuse their benefits or freedom, in this world some have to make sacrifices because of that.

Do you have statistics that prove "most" people abuse social benefits?

I'd be interested in seeing those.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Looking around the world governments that give too much benefits to the people are the ones that in a long term create more inequality between the classes.

The riches continue to be rich, the poor continue to be poor but the medium class almost disappear.

Oh yeah, most of them like to restrict the freedom of the people too.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by whywhynot
reply to post by Taiyed

Are you saying that individuals with low incomes are the GOPs greatest supporters? If you are you need to do a little fact checking.

No where have I claimed that the majority of low income people support the GOP.

I just think that the ones that do aren't thinking clearly.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Taiyed

I`ve been to many countries and seen this before. I don`think there`s a way to make a statistic about this and I don`t have the time to search one right now.

Probably statistics will not change your mind too.
edit on 4-11-2012 by hououinkyouma because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by whywhynot
reply to post by Taiyed

Are you saying that individuals with low incomes are the GOPs greatest supporters? If you are you need to do a little fact checking.

No where have I claimed that the majority of low income people support the GOP.

I just think that the ones that do aren't thinking clearly.

Finally...something we have in common...I don't think you are thinking clearly....

Des

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Taiyed

i think he(obama) had his shot and blew it now its some one elses turn to try to fix it and if they screw it up ill vote them out too i tend to vote for the one that didnt lie to me about issues important to me where as most of the things romney talks about will either have a positive or no effect on me once he starts joking about eating pitbulls or breaking campaing promises that are relevent to me then ill pick a new canidate

its how it works in this country you do good or we pick some one else to try to fix it and hope they don't screw it up until we have a different style of elections in this country that is probaly how it will work.its also why we dont "rise up" and overthrow our government because every 4-8 years we get a new person give it a shot and depending on how well or bad it goes we forget about things that used to bug us

specifics on to why i voted Romney over Obama are probably things that will get me alot of crap on this site.

im pro Israel (cue accusations of being a Zionist shill.....i picked my team a while ago and just like people still supported the cubs when they sucked i still support them) and Obama was very anti israeli so for that reason i voted for Romney

i am against Iran having nuclear weapons Romney is for stopping them so again he gets my vote

i am for a large military budget as i like my nation being king of the hill so to speak and the fact that for the most part foreign nations army's don't get to invade rape loot and steal from our citizens(hint so do our allies as it keeps their defence budgets lower)

i am pro NASA and while i dont honestly know how Romney feels on the issue it couldn't be as bad as what obama has done to it( i want a moon base damnit!)

i live in a red state so how our elections are run it wouldn't matter who i voted for really as my state will be red no matter what

i am for the keystone pipeline and using our countries resources to make us less dependent on foreign oil(prefer more came from USA as opposed to Canada or Venezuela or the ME)

mostly im more for Romney based on the NDAA and Obama's veiled threats against the 2nd amendment then anything else

the fact Romney wants to stop china from floating their currency to manipulate their and world markets

the fact that some idiots on twitter are threatening to riot if their savior does not get elected as i look at the fans of a canidate when picking mine and its why i didnt vote and would never vote for ron paul as i dont hear romeys people saying they will riot in the streets if he looses

the fact that they brought big bird into politics as if that was supposed to sway my view on an election by using a muppet from a show if pbs wants money they can do those god awful pledge drives and get the multitude of rich democrats to fund it if they really love big bird so much i just don't want my broke government wasting money on something citizens can fund themselves if they want

the fact that i judged who i was gonna vote for on the first debate and obama showed up looking like he didnt give a crap about that debate.which to me = there might just be some days that he dosent really care enough to do his job

the fact that obama has gone golfing(hate golf) so many times during important events and sent his children all over the world on our dime

the fact that Romney released his tax info after being harassed for a few months about it compared to all the things we dont know about our president

the fact that harry reid has already said that IF Romney wins, the senate will try to make his presidency as hard as possible (we need unity not division in these times) that to me smacks of desperation

the general smug and arrogant attitude obama presents to the public like he actually believes he is the messiah

the belief i have that Romney will be pro missile shield and that Obama is not

the HOPE that NDAA will be repealed as well as the mandate part of "obama/romney care"

the fact that i have much more faith in romney handling our southern border problem. i want a fence and a good sized wall and mandatory deportations for illegals caught in this country with any kind of criminal reccord and keep them out

thats all i got for now sorry for scatterbrained response and lack of spelling and punctuation but i been watching a movie while typing this

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   

reply to post by Mr Tranny

All these medical and social perks the government can provide, are nice. But the bill for them will cause us to have nothing after a while.

This is simply not true, we just have to decide what our priority is on spending money.

Would you rather spend money on building more bombs, giving more subsidies to big oil, giving more tax breaks to the wealthy?

Or would you rather cut spending on those, and keep our social programs in place?

To me, it is a very simple decision. It is just amazing to me that we are only talking about cutting one of them though, no one even talks about ending the spending in the other direction.

Who do you think pays for everything in the first place?

A tax cut is not an expenditure. Letting someone keep their own money is not spending!

The high taxes are why so many people are not investing in business now.
If you cut all tax reductions and breaks and just tax them all at 100% then you will have no businesses at all. You will have nothing to pay for all those good programs.

If you can not tax them enough without them leaving, to pay for those programs, then you can’t pay for them, no mater how beneficial they are. All the crying and hand wringing will not change that fact.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
reply to post by Taiyed

It must be stressful for you trying to get out the vote for Obama, at this late date.....

Des

Ha, this is hardly a thread to convince anyone to vote Obama.

It's simply a slow night for me and I wanted to see what makes people vote against their own well being.

Obama is fine, the campaigns have been done for a week now anyway...Sandy brought it to an early end. Anyway, the audience of this webpage (100-500?) isn't going to make or break him, this is the last place I would try to "get out the vote". Reddit, Twitter, Facebook...I could see someone trying, but a small forum like this would be pointless.

I'm just interested to hear why people vote against themselves, that's all.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

You geniuses ever met a poor man who gave you a job?

Trickle down does not work.

There are very few employers that don't depend on the middle class buying their goods and services as a means to expand and hire more employees.

Giving more money to the wealthy doesn't create jobs, giving more money to the middle/lower class is what drives demand.

I do like how you outright admit you are too greedy to give your employees healthcare though. And you are mis-informed about having to provide part time employees full healthcare. But I'm not surprised really.

Question, are you going to open up your second restaurant right away if Romney is elected...or are you going to wait to see if he actually repeals Obamacare? You do know that isn't as easy a task as it sounds like, right?

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Taiyed

why not blind optimism elected a first term senator from Illinois to the office of presidency........what your seeing now is people who had their blind faith destroyed by Obama are now putting faith in some one else

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Taiyed

Yet...still you haven't acknowledged a single person who gave you honest concise answers...because they weren't in agreement with you. That's all you ever do in your threads....extolling the virtues of what you are pushing, while attacking any response that isn't within the narrow confines of your viewpoint. You...never...listen.

Des

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join