How Many Romney (GOP) Supporters Here Are Wealthy?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
For the purposes of this thread, let's go ahead and place the "wealthy" threshold at $250,000 income.

So how many of you are "wealthy"?

The reason I ask is because if you aren't over this threshold and you are voting for Romney (or the GOP), you are voting directly against your own economic interests. You are voting for those that are already wealthy to become more wealthy. You are voting for those that have less (this being you) will have to sacrafice more in either taxes, tax credits, deductions, or social services.

I was watching a documentary the other day, it was following a couple who are in tough economic times due to the recession. They lost their home, they lost their jobs, they are hurting. They are on welfare, they are on food stamps, they are getting bill assistance. They show them watching the Republican primary debates, and they are talking about cutting welfare and foodstamps and putting limits on unemployment. They guy, who is recieiving all these benefits agrees with the canddiate speaking. He acknowledges that it is hypocritical, but he still says they should be cut and that he will be voting Republican.

It is just mind boggling to me, here is a man that is being saved from government assistance. His children are being fed because of these programs. And he is going to go out and vote to cut them. He is voting to give rich families more money and more breaks and to take away a safety net from those that need it.

Now for me, I am also voting against my own economic interests. I am considered "wealthy", but I will never vote Republican. I don't need more money, I don't need a tax break, I don't need to pay less on my capital gains. I am just fine with how things are right now, I would be just fine paying double what I pay. My kids wouldn't go hungry, my lifestyle wouldn't change, I would still have great healthcare coverage, I wouldn't even feel it.

But I do know people who make much less than me, family members, friends, people I see working hard every single day. And no matter what, I can not cast a vote to take what little they have away from them. I can't cast a vote telling a single mom who is working as hard as she can at a retail store, but still doesn't make enough to pay rent and feed her kids that she is going to have to decide to do one of the other.

So here is the point.. Yes, I vote against my own economic interests, but in doing so it doesn't harm me one single bit. But those of you who are Republicans and aren't "wealthy" that vote against your economic interests that directly harm you, I just have to ask, what are you thinking? What is your rationale?

edit on 4-11-2012 by Taiyed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
"Taxor" = tax returns or it didn't happen

I disagree that one candidate represents my economic interests, and another candidate with faithfully protect them.

I further disagree with the notion that you know what my "economic self-interest" is, based on my level of income. Anyone who is versed at minimizing exposure to tax liability will tell you that you are an idiot, or a philanthropist, if you have $250,000 of taxable income to report to the US Treasury.

Perhaps my self-interest is best served by a growing economy.

+4 more 
posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
My parents make a combined income of around 340k, they live in a quiet upper middle class neighborhood and put us through college.

They are voting democratic, because they know that many people do need food stamps and other government benefits to survive. My dad does not believe in the idea of letting your fellow country man starve, or fall ill. I believe in the same thing

We are supposed to help eachother especially in these tough economic times and we cannot throw people out in the curve and tell them to rely on chairty, when wall street and the bankers receive billions from our tax money.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
The HUGE majority, if not ALL of them are but they WONT admit it!! Zero in on their replies when under pressure and you will see the ROOT of their BITTERNESS is wealth-distribution, and regulation of the corruption which are their two BIGGEST GRIPES. Next is Obamacare because they can give a crap less about workers having health-care, and next is their HATE of Unions and workers right. And then their hate of environmental regulations as they wish to pollute the planet at will, because being clean-and-green simply cuts into their profits.

That is the stuff that the super wealthy, the bankers, and wall-street scum dont want in this country. They want the corruption to continue, they dont want the Bush tax breaks to expire, they want ZERO regulations, they want NO benefit for the working-class and middle-class folks in America but ONLY to themselves! They also want the WAR-MACHINE to grow bigger and bigger and bigger to protect their interests, and profit their business, BUT... yet... they are so "concerned" about debt!!
Go figure!!

ITS EASY to see through them!! They wont admit it, but you can see it!!
edit on 4-11-2012 by YourWIFI because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I`m considered wealthy, but I`m not voting for Romney because of that (since some little more taxation on US territory won`t make a difference for me).

I`m voting because I believe he can the small business grow again and in consequence the middle class, plus I prefer his approach on some ME issues.
edit on 4-11-2012 by hououinkyouma because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Your thesis sounds as though it came right out of What's the Matter with Kansas? a book that asked that question of the people of that midwestern state.

I'm poor, really, but my economic interests don't control my vote. I won't be bought that way. I think a better question is why would an American vote against freedom? I'm sorry for those who will sell freedom for a few extra dollars in their government check.

Besides, I'm not sure that voting for Obama would be in my economic interest.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

I agree with you. Giving food stamps is not really helping the poor. Making a better economy and giving better conditions to grow for people in a not so good economic conditions is the key.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by hououinkyouma

So giving food to people who need to feed their families js not helping them?

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Taiyed

Romney supporter/voter here. Not even close to wealthy. Make ends meet, with a tad left over to put back into my small business. Not on any government dole. 61 years old, paid taxes and SS my whole life. I look forward to a President who remembers our Great Nation, has a Constitution....

Des

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

That`s just a populist measure, if you give food but don`t give jobs what`s the real benefit?

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Taiyed

You are just talking the talking points and are not anymore moving me to vote for 4 more years of a do nothing economy. Four more years of presidential autocratic rule. Four more years of our finest young men and woman giving their limbs and lives in a hell hole because of weak leadership. Just forget it, not happening. Vote for Romney/Ryan!

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

That is pretty much my thinking.

I don't think I could live peacefully with myself if I didn't vote to help others out.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by whywhynot
Four more years of presidential autocratic rule. Four more years of our finest young men and woman giving their limbs and lives in a hell hole because of weak leadership. Just forget it, not happening. Vote for Romney/Ryan!
And when Romney charges into Iran, no lives or limbs will be lost.

Your silly.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Tw0Sides

It will be much worse if Iran and some other ME countries can grow to their military potencial.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I was visited not too long ago by a pair of Obama supporters at my residence inquiring as to if they had my support for an Obama reelection ("battleground" state fun). My family is not wealthy by any means, but we get by. I told them that Obama would not have my support this time around. Of course, they asked why. I politely told them that if my boss felt that my performance over a period of 4 years was sub par, I would probably be let go. As a voter, I felt that Obama has done a sub par job and I just couldn't vote for him to continue to hold his position.

It wasn't a bad interaction, they were nice, I was nice to them. The bottom line that I told them is that I hope that everyone goes out and votes. You can't complain if you don't like the person in charge and didn't vote.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by hououinkyouma
I`m considered wealthy, but I`m voting for Romney because of that (since some little more taxation on US territory won`t make a difference for me).

I`m voting because I believe he can the small business grow again and in consequence the middle class, plus I prefer his approach on some ME issues.

Well than you have the luxury of dismissing economic factors in your vote (as do I).

You have more freedom with your vote when you are wealthy, you can choose to focus on other issues without really harming your own self being.

So for you to vote for Romney, for economic issues or not, when you are wealthy...I completely understand.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by hououinkyouma

It will be much worse if Iran and some other ME countries can grow to their military potencial.
So...You think we should "stomp " on Countries , for something they "Might" do, in some far away Future.
Hell, we should Level England right now, Last time we fought them it was close, lets get them before they seek revenge, and Canada , They burned down our White House and I hear they are Buying JETS!!!

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Do you expect them to be honest? In my experience from life so far, those who bring in the "big bucks" are the least honest. If they're voting one way or the other because they think it will benefit "their class" then they usually will not want to admit that they earn more than the "average" American citizen. Many even make clearly false claims of "having it hard" growing up. Please excuse my bias, I grew up in a household that was lucky to see 14K a year with three children so it truly sickens me to see people who are seeing an income well above the "average" income here in the states talk about how "hard" they had it growing up. The facts are simply that the "majority" of those who see an income well above the "average" range in this country have truly NEVER been "poor," yet the "majority" of those people do claim to know all about such a lifestyle. Yes, I am very aware that "some" people who see incomes above what we would consider to be "average" did indeed grow up poor, but such people are in the minority of that group.

As someone who has NEVER lived outside of the poverty line in this country, I am currently busting my ass in college as an engineering major and realize that I will most likely NEVER be "wealthy." I will be voting for Gary Johnson because I believe that both the Republicans and the Democrats care little about anyone who sees less than 500k a year. However, if one is not "wealthy" and wants to go with the "lesser of the two evils," to me it would indeed seem like voting blue would be the better option because it really does seem a lot like many of those on the red have outrageous negative beliefs about people who are born with less than them. I can't begin to tell you the number of times that I've had people with MUCH more money than I'll probably ever have chew me out about attending college because I apparently " do not belong there" even though I perform on a MUCH higher scale than the majority of their entitled children.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   

We know that Obama is charging around fighting wars, invading countries and selecting personally his next assassination target on his kill list. That is proven fact based upon the last 4 years. You are simply stating that you think that Romney would do the same. I invite you to submit evidence to support your statement if you can.

Silly

new topics
top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join