25$ for a gallon of gas on the black market, err ah... Craigslist in New Jersey

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by RalagaNarHallas
well unless he gives the government its share of the "tax for the sale" of the gasoline im sure some one could find something to charge this guy with as far as price gouging goes.a person who really cared about his comunity in this kind of temporary disaster would just give it away to those in most need like a hospital or a shelter

Except that he paid the taxes on it when he bought it himself. Worst they could get him on is permitting..which is bad enough. Environmental penalties when dealing with petroleum products are steep.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
So, what would be a reasonable price to charge for this gasoline? Since he waited for 2 hours to get it, probably can't get any more for quite a while either,what's a reasonable asking price? Also, he did say "make an offer",so your free to offer him $5 a gallon.If he has no other offers,maybe he'll take it, who knows. Supply and demand,people, it's how things work. Don't want to get gouged, then find alternatives. I fail to see the problem here. I see people trying to sell things for far more than their true value online all the time. I don't get up in arms about it, just laugh at them and move on.

Really, on a survival forum, people are whining that someone is selling a hard-to-obtain commodity for inflated prices? Damn, you better hope there's never a real SHTF situation,be a rude awakening for a lot of people.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I've got to chime in here,

Gasoline is a commodity and as such the price should be controlled by its availibilty or scarcity - not by government edict. It is the governments edict on pricing that precisely is allowing this individual to sell his gasoline on CL. If the laws of supply and demand were allowed to play themselves out then those who had a dire need would be willing to pay whatever (CL posters angle) or foregoe the gasoline as too expensive.

Anytime government gets involved in distribution of any commodity a blackmarket is created because esentially what it does is creates a false reality or market conditions that others naturally take advantage of.

Supporting the edict is esentially selfish when considering artificially low pricing of a scarce item actually promotes its waste in un-necessary uses by virtue of removing market forces that drive pricing.

Right now the only limit is how long one is willing to wait in line. Would half these people wait in line if real market price was $25 a gallon I wonder? and if half would not then would the others with more pressing need have less wait and more availibilty? I wonder. If more availibility was to occur at higher price level then would price drop, I wonder?

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix

I will agree with you 100% in any normal situation. Gasoline, Kerosene and Heating Oil are all commodities. Profitable ones too, for some people. In a disaster? They are literally the difference between living or dying in some cases. Look at the weather up there..the temps..and millions are without power or shelter beyond what they can make or forage tonight.

To freely allow gasoline to be set by market conditions is insane during a disaster. No other time, In these conditions, you have millions, literally, across that region looking for the same thing. A gallon of gasoline. If money were allowed to set market, why stop at $25? NYC is a place where rents for a ghetto shack start at $1,000 and indoor plumbing doubles it on the spot. I mean, money is not a question for enough people in that area to support $250 a gallon or $500 a gallon. Why not? Someone who literally has several thousand from their safe or found a bank outside the area to draw from....can pay whatever their net worth in liquid allows.

So...if prices are not controlled by Government force during times like these....Poor people need not bother even going. There won't be a hope in hell someone making $500 a week before the storm could pay $500 a gallon, like a Wall Street trader could. hell, many drop that on a good dinner in the City on an average night.

^^^ That's my feelings and why I am glad for Price Gouging Laws and if they don't apply to shysters like this guy. they absolutely have to. After all, what is to stop the station owner from filling a couple 100 gallon tanks and running off with THAT side supply to peddle at $100+ a gallon to anyone who doesn't care to wait......while the poor schmucks that work for a living get nothing or DO have to wait?

Price gouging can get absurdly out of control in no time flat if unethical rodents think they can get away with it. The MONEY to be made by ripping people off is too enormous, IMO

new topics

<< 1   >>

join