It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Martial Law Officially Declared in Parts of New Jersey.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

UHG!

"Martial Law" means literally "Military rule by Military authority"

Meaning a "town or city" could not possibly declare "Martial Law" as they have no military authority nor a military to direct. To "Officially" be Martial Law a military commander must be appointed director of all activities within a jurisdiction, and be responsible for all goings on replacing all functions of civil responsibility and designating their own military policing force.

New Jersey is not under Martial Law. For starters it would have to come from the Executive of New Jersey, Governor Christie. Not a little city. This is because logically only the commander of an army can declare military rule, otherwise you have no military to follow a military order? Governors in the United States are commanders of their respective National Guard units (or Militias). The last time Martial Law was "Officially" used was in 1941 for the duration of WWII the state of Hawaii was under the command of Maj. Gen. Thomas Greene. The Governor dissolved his own position, suspended the constitution of Hawaii and dissolved all official government offices. Gen. Greene held "Dictatorial Power" over all the islands.

Not Martial Law, but instead "Emergency Powers"

During major events most states have varying forms of "Emergency Powers." This is a form of Civilian Martial Law. For instance after Hurricane Katrina the New Orleans area was under something called "A State of Public Emergency" which granted the Governor "Dictatorial Power" to dissolve laws and process indefinently and granting full power to use resources from any locality, order evacuations and stagings. Some military was used, but mostly civilian forces.

Currently New Jersey is using emergency powers fully permitted by their constitution, aside from a State of Emergency declaration there has been no official revocation of law, process or public positions. A curfew or quarantines are also fully permitted by most state Constitutions and do not require any emergency power to put in place using civilian or state military assets.

In other words, as of right now, nothing is "out of the ordinary" in NJ or NY for that matter.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
So, simply put... A news anchor got "Martial Law", and "Curfew" (Edit: Or rather... "Emergency Powers") a little bit mixed up, then?

edit on 4-11-2012 by Sek82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sek82
So, simply put... A news anchor got "Martial Law", and "Curfew" (Edit: Or rather... "Emergency Powers") a little bit mixed up, then?

edit on 4-11-2012 by Sek82 because: (no reason given)

I guess even a City Council got it mixed up then...

the city council met in emergency session and authorized Mayor Tom Leighton to “take any necessary action,” including the declaration of martial law, “to protect the health, safety and welfare” of residents.

Peace

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by rival
reply to post by jude11

My post wasn't intended to denigrate the OP, just make the post more clear.

That being said, I can find no information as to what degree of martial law has been imposed.
Has the national guard taken over, the sheriff's department, the local PD? I can't imagine
they've called in Federal authority, but if the have, then the original title is not too
sensationalistic.

I'm curious, are they rounding up guns and citizens, or is this just a curfew and travel restrictions?

rounding up guns is against the law for federal..

42 USC § 5207 - Firearms policies

(a) Prohibition on confiscation of firearms
No officer or employee of the United States (including any member of the uniformed services), or person operating pursuant to or under color of Federal law, or receiving Federal funds, or under control of any Federal official, or providing services to such an officer, employee, or other person, while acting in support of relief from a major disaster or emergency, may—
(1) temporarily or permanently seize, or authorize seizure of, any firearm the possession of which is not prohibited under Federal, State, or local law, other than for forfeiture in compliance with Federal law or as evidence in a criminal investigation;
(2) require registration of any firearm for which registration is not required by Federal, State, or local law;
(3) prohibit possession of any firearm, or promulgate any rule, regulation, or order prohibiting possession of any firearm, in any place or by any person where such possession is not otherwise prohibited by Federal, State, or local law; or
(4) prohibit the carrying of firearms by any person otherwise authorized to carry firearms under Federal, State, or local law, solely because such person is operating under the direction, control, or supervision of a Federal agency in support of relief from the major disaster or emergency.

www.law.cornell.edu...

only state or local would be enforceable but gratefully i'm in PA and those who are licensed to carry may do so during any and all emergencies declared state or federal. check your local and state laws to make sure you're ok where you are.
edit on 4-11-2012 by LittleBlackEagle because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Martial Law, or whatever name they use, is there a danger of the suspension of the election on Tuesday, the possibility of the forcible movement of people to these FEMA camps via those freight cars we've seen, and how long until someone starts taking potshots at citizens whether struggling to rebuild their lives or engaged in looting.

I don't see this ending well for the people of America, between the projection of the endless fear of terrorism, now natural(? HAARP anyone) disasters, what is next? Could we be seeing the beginning of the stage managed takeover by the NWO?

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rob37n
Martial Law, or whatever name they use, is there a danger of the suspension of the election on Tuesday, the possibility of the forcible movement of people to these FEMA camps via those freight cars we've seen, and how long until someone starts taking potshots at citizens whether struggling to rebuild their lives or engaged in looting.

I don't see this ending well for the people of America, between the projection of the endless fear of terrorism, now natural(? HAARP anyone) disasters, what is next? Could we be seeing the beginning of the stage managed takeover by the NWO?

No
No
Already Happening
Many Things
No

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tha Girl They Call Roc
There was a youtube user, Sheilaaliens, who actually called the Sheriff's department a couple of days ago and asked if they were indeed under marshal law, and they said, "Yes."

Pinksappiret has (or had) another video about it on her channel, but for some reason it won't let me link it here...maybe she deleted it... who knows...
edit on 4-11-2012 by Tha Girl They Call Roc because: errors

They are forcibly removing the people who stayed and preventing people from re-entering the barrier islands, the people who voluntarily evacuated and wanted to return to inspect their property.

I saw where these people will not be allowed back to check for at a minumum of 8 months.
They can't get insurers to settle with them. Even if their homes and businesses are undamaged, they can't even go back to get their possessions.

So there are no "looters" there. There is nobody left on these islands except WHO? And now you have to wonder why martial law is declared to keep them away.
edit on 4-11-2012 by PaperbackWriter because: spelling

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Well in this case gov. is justified .
All I can do is try to remind people in the east how to stay alive and right now . That includes joining together, sharing their food and light their fires, play their music and dance. This is how you will sustain your selves and stay warm.

edit on 4-11-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by PaperbackWriter

There was a youtube user, Sheilaaliens, who actually called the Sheriff's department a couple of days ago and asked if they were indeed under marshal law, and they said, "Yes."

Pinksappiret has (or had) another video about it on her channel, but for some reason it won't let me link it here...maybe she deleted it... who knows...

They are forcibly removing the people who stayed and preventing people from re-entering the barrier islands, the people who voluntarily evacuated and wanted to return to inspect their property.

I saw where these people will not be allowed back to check for at a minumum of 8 months.
They can't get insurers to settle with them. Even if their homes and businesses are undamaged, they can't even go back to get their possessions.

So there are no "looters" there. There is nobody left on these islands except WHO? And now you have to wonder why martial law is declared to keep them away.

I live in New Jersey about 40 miles from Seaside. The reason people were given literally 5 minutes to get their belongings and leave is because not only the sewerage system in Seaside Heights collapsed, but so did the main natural gas line which covers over 20 miles. If that isn't a damn good reason to MAKE people leave...then what is? Here is the article in a N.J. newspaper.

www.nj.com...

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
why are all the dates and register dates 10/05/12 ?

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by elrem48

I live in New Jersey about 40 miles from Seaside. The reason people were given literally 5 minutes to get their belongings and leave is because not only the sewerage system in Seaside Heights collapsed, but so did the main natural gas line which covers over 20 miles. If that isn't a damn good reason to MAKE people leave...then what is? Here is the article in a N.J. newspaper.

www.nj.com...

I am familiar with that story.
In response I'd like to ask about how close you reckon those gas lines and sewer lines were to water mains?

There have been many worse storms along the East Coast and NY/NJ than this and it didn't collapse these things. The water appears to have come up from below in many places around the whole area.
Like from 20in pipes or larger. From what all I've read from anecdotal evidence.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Well that took a while
but it was inevitable and Obama needed to do something
when i first asked the question .. people were laughing

Do you think Obama will declare Martial Law / State of Emergency after Sandy ?

soldiers are to help the Americans at home not going to war ten of thousand of miles away
fighting for interest that is not even American
edit on 11/4/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Hey Jude... Your vid is 2 days old now. Heres one a day older than that. It shows a little drive thru and "claims" martial law. It looks like they are checking peoples ID to be sure they live there. But the waiting line for that checkpoint is 5 miles long (ouch).

And another...

edit on 4-11-2012 by intrptr because: YouTube

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by elrem48

www.nj.com...

I am familiar with that story.
In response I'd like to ask about how close you reckon those gas lines and sewer lines were to water mains?

There have been many worse storms along the East Coast and NY/NJ than this and it didn't collapse these things. The water appears to have come up from below in many places around the whole area.
Like from 20in pipes or larger. From what all I've read from anecdotal evidence.

Seaside is a couple of blocks wide from the bay side to the ocean, as well as the other barrier islands. There probably isn't much room for water mains or sewers to be a good, safe distance from the gas lines. Maybe they followed code, but most likely by the skin of their teeth. Many houses were knocked off their foundations from the storm surge which exacerbated the problem.
edit on 4-11-2012 by elrem48 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
reply to post by jude11

Hey Jude... Your vid is 2 days old now. Heres one a day older than that. It shows a little drive thru and "claims" martial law. It looks like they are checking peoples ID to be sure they live there. But the waiting line for that checkpoint is 5 miles long (ouch).

And another...

edit on 4-11-2012 by intrptr because: YouTube

Thanks for the vids. Nice contribution.

Peace

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Huh? Yeah I see what you mean, "is now under Martial Law". I know that NJ got it's ass kicked by the storm and parts are a complete disaster area... but damn, Martial Law.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81
Well that took a while
but it was inevitable and Obama needed to do something
when i first asked the question .. people were laughing

Do you think Obama will declare Martial Law / State of Emergency after Sandy ?

soldiers are to help the Americans at home not going to war ten of thousand of miles away
fighting for interest that is not even American
edit on 11/4/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

Except this has nothing to do with Obama or the military. Nor is it really marshal law just a small town with a curfew.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Originally posted by lobotomizemecapin
wow that sucks I guess they just want to test it out. I hope those in the area will be smart and not get gunned down we dont need riots and further spread of martial law

These days, people are ignoring the police more and more. And then we have the police overreacting in many cases...with people ending up dead.

I truly hope someone doesn't test out the system and gets killed. It'll get a lot worse if it does happen.

Peace

If one were to play "devils advocate", then maybe thats exactly what they are hoping for, for just even a small amount of the populace to "poke the bear", so to speak, which turns into a falling domino scenario where more and more affected areas are put under martial law.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by PaperbackWriter

Tried to find it and couldn't. One news reporter claimed that looters were trolling along off shore in boats looking for places to come ashore and loot. By boat.
Police and guard want everybody out so there are no mistakes in the middle of the night. Thats another reason they are doing the door to door searchers. Once cleared these neighborhoods that are essentially destroyed are patrolled by armed guards at night. Looters beware!

Edit: Also heard reports of people torching their cars and houses to collect on the insurance. That could get out of hand too. So yah.
edit on 5-11-2012 by intrptr because: additional...

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I looked up to you Jude11. You had good threads. Interesting threads.

I'm disappointed.

The police are doing their jobs here. You can flame away at me but if your property was there, you would want to make dang sure looters weren't let in.

Peace

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join