It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Martial Law Officially Declared in Parts of New Jersey.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I looked for this on ATS but couldn't find it. Unless it's under a different title. If it's been posted...Go at it Mods.

Is this necessary? I'm not there so can't really say, but are there any members in the area that can weigh in on how serious the situation is and whether they think Martial Law is justified?

The part that got me is the news announcement that briefly skimmed over it without even pausing. Almost as a filler in between. I always thought Martial Law was a serious subject but apparently it isn't anymore.

theintelhub.com...

Seaside Heights, New Jersey, made famous by the hit MTV Show Jersey Shore, is under a complete state of lockdown with residents who evacuated before the storm being denied reentry to the island. During a segment on ABC World News Now, the corporate news anchor reported this fact as if it was either a completely normal occurrence or if it just really didn’t matter all that much.

The Martial Law announcement lasts about 10 secs I believe...About the 1 minute mark.

And it seems that it could spread to other areas as well.

“In Wilkes-Barre, where residents were ordered off the streets by 9 p.m. Monday, the city council met in emergency session and authorized Mayor Tom Leighton to “take any necessary action,” including the declaration of martial law, “to protect the health, safety and welfare” of residents.

Seaside Heights, New Jersey is not the only town that has considered and is implementing martial law. In the Susquehanna Valley in Pennsylvania officials have openly contemplated martial law after a slew of other emergency declarations in reaction to major flooding caused by Hurricane Sandy.

Peace

edit on 4-11-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
How many hours til the first "looters" are shot dead?
Followed by mass riots?

I hope not, stay safe New Yorkers.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
So things really aren't going as well as they are being portrayed on the news outlets, go figure.
Hope that the declaration was necessary, and not just an early means to quell civil unrest due to a lack of response. Keep your heads on a swivel over there, and stay safe!

+13 more 
posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Every time the words "martial law" are mentioned everyone on ATS starts going mad.....have you ever considered that martial law might be a good thing? Especially in this scenario, where looters are filing the streets and the rule of law has slipped.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuperZepto
reply to post by jude11

Every time the words "martial law" are mentioned everyone on ATS starts going mad.....have you ever considered that martial law might be a good thing? Especially in this scenario, where looters are filing the streets and the rule of law has slipped.

And that would be the reason I asked in the OP for any members in the area to weigh in on the situation and let us know what's happening and if they believe it's necessary.

Peace

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
This is the township of Seaside declaring martial law, so the header is a bit sensational.

Federal (or even state) martial law IS a big deal.....this isn't.

This is just a small town police force at work....

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by rival
This is the township of Seaside declaring martial law, so the header is a bit sensational.

Federal (or even state) martial law IS a big deal.....this isn't.

This is just a small town police force at work....

The header is from the source and the news cast. I don't think I should be changing anything.

But in my opinion, Martial Law is Martial Law. Doesn't matter who calls it as the results are about the same.

The question I made very clear in the OP is if it's necessary or not. I don't know, I'm not there and can't say. I am just hoping some member from the area can give us more info.

Peace

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   

reply to post by jude11

Martial Law is not only implemented to deal with violence or national security. Martial Law is fundamentally handing over the management of a region from elected officials to military commanders. This can be useful when - for instance - FEMA falls on its ass and doesn't do the basic job that it is required to do.

The military would probably be better able to deal with the delivery of supplies and infrastructure where providers and FEMA have failed, they would also be better able to control criminal activity in the area, and be able to manage the crowds more effectively in an emergency distribution scenario.

Look at instances around the world where aid is needed, and you'll find armed military there to assist in the delivery of that aid, and to prevent that aid from being stolen, preventing violence from breaking out etc... this is what Martial Law could actually be good for in this instance.

If all other departments are failing, maybe it's time Martial Law was brought in and those ineffectual officials in government are shoved out of the way for a while while the real work gets done?

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

My post wasn't intended to denigrate the OP, just make the post more clear.

That being said, I can find no information as to what degree of martial law has been imposed.
Has the national guard taken over, the sheriff's department, the local PD? I can't imagine
they've called in Federal authority, but if the have, then the original title is not too
sensationalistic.

I'm curious, are they rounding up guns and citizens, or is this just a curfew and travel restrictions?

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
As opposed to martial law as I am, I think it is necessary in some areas. Things are grim for many people. Worried doesn't quite convey the.emotions I am feeling pouring through the available material.

God help us all.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   

reply to post by jude11

That being said, I can find no information as to what degree of martial law has been imposed.
Has the national guard taken over, the sheriff's department, the local PD? I can't imagine
they've called in Federal authority, but if the have, then the original title is not too
sensationalistic.

I'm curious, are they rounding up guns and citizens, or is this just a curfew and travel restrictions?

I wonder if they're just referring to the National Guard. This report was from before Bloomer cancelled the Marathon, and NG have been in several areas for a while now. It could just be that they are stating that the NG are running the regions most severely affected.

But that leads me to wonder why things are still reportedly so bad in those areas.

Tomorrow is going to be interesting, as millions more try to return to work after having the last week off. A lot of businesses will be *expecting* their staff to turn up, having sorted themselves out, but they probably won't be considering that many areas are still not functioning in the city and people will still not be able to get to work.

Tomorrow could see the city under significant strain.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by rival

Martial law is the imposition of military rule by military authorities over designated regions on an emergency basis.

Martial law is usually imposed on a temporary basis when the civilian government or civilian authorities fail to function effectively (e.g., maintain order and security, or provide essential services), when there are extensive riots and protests, or when the disobedience of the law becomes widespread.

In most cases, military forces are deployed to subdue the crowds, to secure government buildings and key or sensitive locations, and to maintain order.[

1] Generally, military personnel replace civil authorities and perform some or all of their functions.
]
In full-scale martial law, the highest-ranking military officer would take over, or be installed, as the military governor or as head of the government, thus removing all power from the previous executive, legislative, and judicial branches of government.[1]

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   

reply to post by jude11

sensationalistic.

Ok, my bad...

I've tried to find more info as well.

What I find most interesting is the quick mention on the news. The gas lines got more attention than this. And Martial Law in any form should garner more attention IMO but they just skipped right over it.

My question is..why?

Peace

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I find it disconcerting that martial law was last instituted during world war 2, until now. Some may argue there were small cases more recently, none the less, bare in mind that even during hurricane Katrina, martial law was not imposed...

Why are civil liberties being restricted now? Are things getting out of hand? I think not, something else could be in play.

Please, no one take risks during this tenuous situation among the aftermath of sandy
edit on 4-11-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
When they slip in these agendas slowly and only when necessary, soon people will accept it as something they cannot live without and think that it has always been this way in an emergency.

This is really big but hopefully we can get word directly from those who are there and can lend some validity to this.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
wow that sucks I guess they just want to test it out. I hope those in the area will be smart and not get gunned down we dont need riots and further spread of martial law

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   

reply to post by jude11

Not to the point that people who live in the area want to get back to their homes and cant because of a stupid law.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by lobotomizemecapin
wow that sucks I guess they just want to test it out. I hope those in the area will be smart and not get gunned down we dont need riots and further spread of martial law

These days, people are ignoring the police more and more. And then we have the police overreacting in many cases...with people ending up dead.

I truly hope someone doesn't test out the system and gets killed. It'll get a lot worse if it does happen.

Peace

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
A case of reporters being ignorant of what they are reporting on.
"Martial law" means government by the military. Civilian mayors and governors would have no power under martial law. Just because there are uniformed soldiers around does not mean it is martial law. The governor of the state is the commander of that state's National Guard. This is always the case unless they are federalized by POTUS under Title 10. Then they are under his authority.
Nowhere in the Northeast is currently under "martial law" regardless of what some inane reporter spouts. Curfews and tighter laws are perfectly normal and often necessary after a major disaster. We have them in Louisiana all the time. This in no way represents government by the military. It is government by elected representatives who control law enforcement and in the governor's case, the Nat'l Guard.
It is in no way shape or form "Martial Law".
Martial Law hasn't been practiced outside of a tiny area since the days of the Civil War.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
There was a youtube user, Sheilaaliens, who actually called the Sheriff's department a couple of days ago and asked if they were indeed under marshal law, and they said, "Yes."

Pinksappiret has (or had) another video about it on her channel, but for some reason it won't let me link it here...maybe she deleted it... who knows...
edit on 4-11-2012 by Tha Girl They Call Roc because: errors

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join