It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DIY 30 Year Solar Panels For Half the Cost...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
This seems to be the way to go on solar to save money and makes it within reach of most people IMO. The site links to a video which I linked directly here too that is 3 parts and is really good. I had heard the DIY panels do not last as long as the manufactured ones. However this method overcomes that, the guy in the video has 1000 watts in homemade panels and they look pretty nice.

Also the idea that panels don't produce in overcast seems to be a myth, they don't produce in excessive heat according to the video...

I have had some solar cells I bought a couple years ago sitting around collecting dust. My plan then was to make my own solar panels. I was excited and read up on how to do it. However I discovered my mono crystalline cells did not last as long unless they were sealed up against the weather and oxygen so I did nothing and considered selling them and ended up sitting on them for the last few years…

Fast forward to a few months ago when the state of things got me re-energized to shore up preparations for possible economic meltdown and I started looking at solar stuff again. Well it turns out that there is a liquid encapsulate you can buy that can be poured over them that seals them up and they will last 30 years and be better and stronger then buying conventional panels.

Read the rest here: becauseitstime.com...

www.youtube.com...

edit on 4-11-2012 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Hey thanks for this. $35 seems pretty reasonable to me.I'll have to check it out, maybe order one and see what I think of it. Let us know if you do it first. I'll do the same.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by wirefly
Hey thanks for this. $35 seems pretty reasonable to me.I'll have to check it out, maybe order one and see what I think of it. Let us know if you do it first. I'll do the same.

I was just going to make the frame myself no need to order it. It's just angled aluminum cut on 45's Yeah I have cells and I am going to do this...

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   
I love your threads.

I was going to buy some on eBay. I bought some cheaper amorphous 4.3 Watt cells for pretty cheap and I made a small panel that put out. .1 amps........

I have to say, I hope you have some serious patience when soldering solar cells together. They make it look easy, and try to buy a few extra. The ones in the video are very fragile.

Personally I have not bought any because I hate soldering. I really do not have the patience for it.

I have been just purchasing 5 or 10 Watt solar panels off of eBay when they are cheap.

Good luck and post how you do because I still might take a crack at it sometime.

You can purchase different quantities at different prices at eBay..

Good luck.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
the problem with solar cells is not chemical degradation but electronic. The solar cell is one big flat diode with positive ions on one side and negative on the other. electricity happens when ligth falls on it and knocks out electrons. this makes the depletion layer larger. solar cells only last 7 years

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by pellian
the problem with solar cells is not chemical degradation but electronic. The solar cell is one big flat diode with positive ions on one side and negative on the other. electricity happens when ligth falls on it and knocks out electrons. this makes the depletion layer larger. solar cells only last 7 years

My small panels have a 20 year power output guarantee.

That is three times longer than what you suggest.

I am confused about your data. I have done a lot of research on solar cells and none of them have a seven year output rating.

Please do some research on how a solar cell works.
edit on 18-11-2012 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Double post...sorry
edit on 18-11-2012 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
the biggest problem with solar panels is the "glass/plastic." must be hail proof.
and the other problem is browning. caused when the protective glass/plastic turns brown.

i have yet to find a good replacement. i have a number of browned panels.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
the biggest problem with solar panels is the "glass/plastic." must be hail proof.
and the other problem is browning. caused when the protective glass/plastic turns brown.

i have yet to find a good replacement. i have a number of browned panels.

Tempered glass does not turn brown. Inferior plastics and resins yellow and brown. The cells must be properly sealed. 1/4 inch tempered glass will stand up to hail and 150 mile an hour winds. also if you have an old sliding glass door with termpered glass your not using try putting a golf ball size rock through it won't phase it.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by liejunkie01

Originally posted by pellian

My small panels have a 20 year power output guarantee.

That is three times longer than what you suggest.

I am confused about your data. I have done a lot of research on solar cells and none of them have a seven year output rating.

Please do some research on how a solar cell works.
edit on 18-11-2012 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason

given)

For clarification I meant to say, please do some research on how long a solar cells lasts.

My bad man. I just noticed it.

It seems that after looking a little further into it. Most solar cells power output lasts up to 30 years. It stated that some of the thinner cells only have a warranty of about 5 years but put out power for twice that amount of time. I am curious as to what cells this is referring to because I have never personally seen one.

Sorry I cannot link anything I am on a cell phone.

I do know that the amorphous silicone cells have a faster degradation time than crystalline.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

'Also the idea that panels don't produce in overcast seems to be a myth, they don't produce in excessive heat according to the video... '

systems i have built respond well on overcast days, hell, some orientated temporarily north with overcast conditions still
generated 17-18 volts for a 12 volt setup.
heat is a problem i will agree. important to not fixdown on a surface unless ample airflow can vent the underneath.
f(uk)

new topics

top topics

join