It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Old Family Doll Turns Up After Being Missing For 80+ Years

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Hey everyone, thought I'd share this 'paranormal' experience whilst I'm taking a break from the 'conspiracy' side of things

Last year, my girlfriend's great grandmother (currently 94 years of age
) moved to a care home. She had lived in the oldest house in town throughout her entire life and it had served as the family home for over 200 years. The house is full of history. Back during WW2, a German bomb had blown up part of the building. There is a tale that tells of how American soldiers stationed in the area had helped clean up the debris. As a thank you, my girlfriend's great, great grandmother had offered them tea and biscuits but they had to decline the offer get back to the barracks. On returning, they were all killed as another German bombing raid hit the town. Had they accepted the tea and biscuits, they may well have survived...

I had visited the house a few times, it was an amazing place. On the outside, the section hit by the German bomb all those years ago still remains in ruins, although now overgrown with weeds. It is incredible to think that the German airforce was once flying overhead and American soldiers had been there to give a helping hand. Rumour also has it that my girlfriend's great grandmother had slept with an American soldier before giving birth to her only daughter. That daughter went on to have 5 children herself, one of those giving birth to my current girlfriend
Whether one of those American soldiers had been part of the party who was killed before even getting to the fighting fields of Europe we'll never know.

On the inside, it was obviously very old and had dust everywhere, the ceilings were quite low and the floor was all uneven. The family had been quite wealthy in the past and had worked quite high up in the church, the place was full of hundreds of old books and family bibles etc. An antiques dealer would have been very pleased to get his hands on the old grandfather clock or the first edition of Alice in Wonderland that was amongst hundreds of other books collecting dust in an old box. One of the rooms even had a huge display of stuffed animals which was made even more creepy given the animals had sat there, staring out from behind the glass into a room that hadn't seen vistors for many years.

When the time came to move all the great grandmother's belongings, my girlfriend came across an old victorian looking doll. I just did a quick search to find one similar and this looks pretty close-

It was just 'there', sitting on the stairs. Whether it had fallen from one of the boxes we don't know but it was strange the way it had 'fallen' so neatly to be sitting upright.

The great grandmother recognised it instantly, it had been her sister's toy doll which was lost when they were kids. She recollected how they had searched for it for days but could never find it. With this in mind, it was quite strange to have found it, covered in dust and dirt, sitting on the main stairwell.

That night my girlfriend had took it home and placed it in one of her draws. The great grandmother's sister had been very close to my girlfriend's nan. On growing up, the great grandmother had been outcast from the family as she was not married yet had a child (to the American soldier). The great auntie went against this though and remained close to them, looking after them and my girlfriend's nan when she was growing up in the post war years.

That night, my girlfriend had an incrediblly realistic dream about her nan who had sadly passed away a few years previously. The dream was centered around my girlfriend's nan's funeral. Her nan was there watching it and told my girlfriend that she should move on and she was happy and proud of her. We thought the dream was just due to being at the old house and stirring up memories

Upon opening her draw though, remarkably, next to the doll were pictures of her nan and other personal items. It was, and still is, unexplainable. There was an old picture of my girlfriend's nan as a child with her auntie (the one who had lost the doll all those years ago). My girlfriend had never seen the picture before. Along with that picture, was a picture of my girlfriend as a child with her nan. There was also a copy of the funeral's Order of Service, which had prayers, hymns and a picture of her nan on. Given the dream, it was remarkable.

Ever since, my girlfriend has seemingly been at peace over her nan's death. The experience has brought her comfort.

To this day, I cannot understand how it happened. Perhaps the doll was able to be used to communicate with this side and her nan used the connection she had with her auntie to be able to put my girlfriend at ease and comfort over her passing?

I know you may have been after a scary tale given the 'old doll' theme but this happened and it's something we have both accepted yet tried to pretend it never kind of thing
Whatever happened, it brought my girlfriend peace over the death of someone very close to her yet highlights there is so much we do not understand in this world.

Thanks for reading.

edit on 4-11-2012 by Wonderer2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
As a child I had a toy vanish and I never found it again. One minute I was playing with it, I set it down and left the room for no longer than a few minutes and when I came back it was gone never to be found again. I was the only one there beside my father who was on the other side of the house.

I was recently watching a video on netflix where people claimed the dead could send things from their past to the present.

I almost suspect that one day this toy will just appear again like this doll did.

Perhaps my future dead self sent it to one of my kids years from now. Now that's spooky.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Wonderer2012

What a sweet, touching story. Is there any way, you can get a photo of the actual doll, and post it? I'd love to see it....

Des

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
What a truly amazing story! That is an awesome antique doll! I think it is made by a famous french or german doll artist, not sure. In any case, I would have loved to have seen that house and all that it contained. Wow, what a treat that would have been!

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
What a beautiful story! I would have loved to see that house and doll! I'm glad it was able to bring her comfort.

When I was 5 years old I had to be hospitalized for surgery and was given a doll while I was there. I loved that doll, we became inseparable.
I am the only girl in a house full of brothers so that doll was my best friend! For two years where ever I went she went, and then one day she simple vanished.

We searched everywhere for weeks and never found her. To this day I mourn her loss and wonder what became of her.

And I too sometimes think she might someday just show up when I least expect it, although that would really freak me out

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Pretty cool story.

And, while the story is very touching, the magically appearing doll is just too freaky. I say kill it with fire. The Nan said it was okay to move on anyway. Better safe than sorry...

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
awesome story, thanks for sharing!
We would love to see a pic of the actual doll. and I would not destroy it like the previous poster said, it doesn't sound evil. just bizarre.
there are alot of DOP stories (disappearing object phenomenon) but most are 'short term', like a few hours or maybe days. man, I can think of many things precious to me as a child that vanished. I would so love to have even one thing show up. in particular, a necklace i wore every single day. But to this day I still think my stepfather stole it because of what it represented to me. Never know.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Funny ... I read this post just above another post about being abducted by aliens... had to laugh.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sergeant Stiletto
Pretty cool story.

And, while the story is very touching, the magically appearing doll is just too freaky. I say kill it with fire. The Nan said it was okay to move on anyway. Better safe than sorry...

Noooooooooooo! I'll take the doll!!!!!!!! I love antique dolls!

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   

When my uncle died, my grandmother was devastated. She tells a story of how one day after his death, a woman knocked on the door. My grandmother answered quickly and saw a beautiful young woman she had never met before standing there in the snow. My grandmother invited her in but the woman declined and said "I just wanted to let you know that your son loves you and he is in a better place." My grandmother broke into tears and hugged the woman. The woman left and my grandmother continued crying. Right after she got herself together, she opened the door to call the woman back. But the woman was no where to be found, with no footprints in the snow leading up to the house. And that was the last she ever saw of her. My grandmother always talks about how it was "her angel". :O

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Now THATs one creepy doll...

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I've had things disappear spookily as a kid as well. Even now it sometimes happen. Anyone remember the Secret World of Og? MAYBE THAT'S WHERE OUR LOST STUFF REALLY GOES!

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Touching story but that pic is gonna give me nightmares. I have a phobia of antique dolls lol.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

What a sweet, touching story. Is there any way, you can get a photo of the actual doll, and post it? I'd love to see it....

Des

I'll try and get a photo of it, not really sure I want to disturb it though

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Amazing story, thank you for sharing it. Actually, objects appearing out of nowhere or returning after years has been documented before. It is called "asport" and applied to seances but now covers any such occurance. You should contact the Society for Psychical Research and report it.

Search:

Scole Experiment -- which deals with an asport of a WW2 British paper (very interesting) among other things.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

I was going to ask for a pic of the doll, and the sisters and the house...the house sounds interesting.

I believe the lost items will be found in due time in obvious paces.....placed there by ?

Thank you for posting this.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
if someone offer you 100$ for it .. DONT
only if the doll is haunted
lol (jk)

this nice doll could worth thousands
how do i know that ? i listen to "storage wars" lol
but dont sell it for the respect of your girlfriend's great grandmother
she wouldnt appreciate that !
even if she tell you you can get rid of it for money

thanks for sharing that bit of history with us

SNF

Maybe it came back from this doll tree ?
apparently they open their eyes sometimes
you need to go in Mexico and gave it back

its a nice very expensive doll .. but look kind of creepish to me
edit on 11/5/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Ewwwwww!! Why you show me that video.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I know I had lost a few toys as a kid, the one I remember the most was a cap gun that was like an old cowboy revolver. This was back when toy guns still looked real. I still remember where I put it in our old house, and i've been back to look for it. When my grandmother died a lot of the things in her will were apparently not in the house. I wasn't there, but my brother was, and he was disgusted by the feeding frenzy of all the family members, he was especially mad about my grandfather's harmonica's that were no where to be found, since our grandfather had told them they would be his, and grandma left them to him in the will. Maybe they'll show up someday.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I just did some research on that Julian, he didn’t drown or kill himself, he actually died of old age in 2001. Still I freaky island or what! I wouldn’t want to go!
OP love the story, I would like to see the damaged building actually how over grown is it?
Regards Jay

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join