54 year old tells me he won't get Social Security if Romney is Elected.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Originally posted by newcovenant

reply to post by newcovenant

Stop sweating...you'll never be paying for me...maybe a boatload of other people...but, not me Bubba....

Des

Hindsight is 20/20. Foresight...not so much.

I don't need to depend on social Security but I have compassion and fear for others who may not have been so fortunate in their lives. It is called empathy. Tough to understand if you don't have it.

The more I read your posts in this thread. The more I think you are actually worried the line of people, filling the slot machine, will end before you get to stand in front of the SS slot machine....just sayin'....

Des

I am not depending on Social Security but I am concerned about those people who may not have been as fortunate or successful in their personal lives and financial decisions as I have. I fear for their future and well being in the end of their days. It is called compassion and empathy for my fellow man. You can't understand it, if you don't have it. Just sayin'

~You know who I am.
edit on 4-11-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

Social Security was a fine idea, but there has been a lot of unforeseen problems since the system was brought into existence.

People live longer now. The cost of living is higher. Healthcare is more expensive...the same healthcare that allows us to live longer....almost a paradox isn't it? If I recall correctly, I "think" the system was set up based on a person being able to draw something like 8 to 10 years worth of benefits. Many-many people life far longer than that now.

Also, we have became a society of anarchists, predators and selfish, self indulgent singularities. The idea of group, team or community has died out and now it is all about the self. I am not judging here, I am just stating the situation. Far too many of us just do not care about other people. We honestly do not care if someone has to suffer as long as we have "ours".

I have no expectation of receiving my money back. It was taken and used for who knows what really. It was not safely squirreled away in a secret place with my name on it. It would be great to have that...I'm 47 and have been working since I was 16. I have paid into the system for 31 years and sadly, I am slowing coming to terms with the fact that I was ripped off.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
reply to post by Destinyone

I agree. I think it's personal fear. I'm not scared. Are you?

To say I'm not a little bit scared at this late stage in my life, would be lying. But, I know, I can do better, and work harder for my benefit, than any government bait and switch program could. I'm doing well with my choices, and my future is looking brighter too. I hold the wheel on my ship now.....

Des

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

The government is not responsible for your retirement, well-being, or happiness. This country was founded on three inalienable rights as defined by the Declaration of Independence – “…life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness…” Every individual must hold themselves accountable. They must recognize that the problem with entitlements is that you are not entitled to anything. You must provide for your own well-being, your own retirement, and your own happiness.

Link

You got a fast few stars for that and it is so true, really.

The government has been making a lot of cuts in all those areas...from health care, to mental illness programs, to food stamps, to educational benefits, birth control, abortions.......you name it.

We are tossed under the bus, so to speak, for entitlements. People complain, but those are the ones that would have been tossed under the bus a long time ago.

Everyone is expendable, and have been supported to this point..some way, some how.

Scary.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

I hold the wheel on my ship now.....

Des

But.....what if?!?!?! I agree with you by the way, but the answer to that is always, what if? I would rather live my life knowing that everything up to this point was due to my decisions, good or bad, luck or not, and that no other entity played a direct role in deciding how I am going to live in the end.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
In reply to newcovenent....

I have a lot of empathy. Ask my little community where I live. The SS system also has all the money I paid into it starting from my working at the age of 13. I'm 61 now. They have all that money I've basically written off...to give to anyone they want, like they always have. Does that not count for anything....

So, you think, I'm this endless pool of financial resources they can dip into for eternity...NO, they drained to to a mere puddle. I've found a way to refill myself. Now, I can use my charitable giving where I CHOOSE.

Des

edit on 4-11-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I agree with Bernie Sanders

Stay Away from Social Security

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

It isn't charitable giving.
It is people's own money.
It is an insurance plan and you can opt out if you want to.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Sissel

As long as the Government "borrows" money, Programs such as SSI, or any other entitlement program will fail.

DEBT is the number 1 problem.

16 trillion and counting.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Atlas Flinched

Rachel Maddow explains why Thursday's vice presidential debate was exhilarating and news-making and points out two significant themes that broke new ground: Paul Ryan's support for privatizing Social Security, and Ryan's flunking the commander-in-chief test with empty answers on Afghanistan.

edit on 4-11-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

It isn't charitable giving.
It is people's own money.
It is an insurance plan and you can opt out if you want to.

I think somebody asked before, and I want to bring this up again..........employers, do they give an option of not contributing to social security deductions and opting out of that?

Honestly, if that is the case, why don't employers supply it in new hire packets?

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

reply to post by Sissel

As long as the Government "borrows" money, Programs such as SSI, or any other entitlement program will fail.

They are not borrowing money and SS is showing a surplus.

Where are you getting your info?

That is our first problem. Wrong information.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

reply to post by Sissel

Well, by that logic, why should anybody be able to borrow?

I have about a 16 trillion dollars in credit card debt.

Not really, but you see where I am going with this....if people were not able to live beyond their means, the government wouldn't be either.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sissel

Well, by that logic, why should anybody be able to borrow?

I have about a 16 trillion dollars in credit card debt.

Not really, but you see where I am going with this....if people were not able to live beyond their means, the government wouldn't be either.

And that's the point.

We personally shouldn't be borrowing, if we cant pay it back.

The Government shouldn't be borrowing either.

There are no checks and balances.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

They are not borrowing money and SS is showing a surplus.

Where are you getting your info?

That is our first problem. Wrong information.

The Government Borrows Money! It issues Debt! 16 trillion in debt!

YOU are living in DENIAL.

WASHINGTON (AP) — As millions of baby boomers flood Social Security with applications for benefits, the program's $2.7 trillion surplus is starting to look small. For nearly three decades Social Security produced big surpluses, collecting more in taxes from workers than it paid in benefits to retirees, disabled workers, spouses and children.
The surpluses also helped mask the size of the budget deficit being generated by the rest of the federal government. Those days are over. Since 2010, Social Security has been paying out more in benefits than it collects in taxes, adding to the urgency for Congress to address the program's long-term finances.

"To me, urgent doesn't begin to describe it," said Chuck Blahous, one of the public trustees who oversee Social Security. "I would say we're somewhere between critical and too late to deal with it."

Social Security surplus dwarfed by future deficit

Get it now?
edit on 4-11-2012 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Sissel

In payroll taxes, the employee pays 4.2% (previously was 6.2%) and the employer matches that until the wage base is met (106,800); sending the government 8.4% of every dollar up to the base wage amount of $106,800 made for every W-2 employee.

There is no opting out unless you are paid under the table. Even if you are a 1099 (independent contractor) you will be paying the self-employment rate of 10.4% for SS.

In other words: We are taxed to work and now with the new 'health-care' law, we are taxed (sorry fined) to live. Gotta love those rascals up in Foggy Bottom because they sure are clever.
edit on 4-11-2012 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
So much words and posts and talk!

Here we all are, trusting the government to do the right thing by us when (pick any other thread or topic) most ATS folks wouldn't trust the government to fall down if it tripped!

Yet we have people trusting the government to give them back the money they took when they don't trust the government on;
9/11
Roswell
Any war
Taxes
Economy
GMO crops
Chemtrails
Aliens
Stargates
The Moon landings
Mars
Nirubu (yeah, I went there)
Bengazi
The Electoral College
The NWO
The Illuminatti
Agent Orange
DU Rounds
Weapons of mass destruction
Reptillians
Atlantis
Global Warming
South Pole
Ozone holes
HAARP

yet

Let's all TRUST the GOVERNMENT when it comes to our futures!!!

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Quite correct but are you are okay with this scheme? Shoveling money from able body people who have their own lives to live to pay for people who have been sold the lie that Government will be there for you in the end?

Private accounts will always do better, you can get a statement showing how much you have in it and it is yours so when you pass on, you can pass it on to your family. SS is the largest tax scheme in name of "security".

Nope, I'm not "okay" with it.

I agree that personal savings is best, and not to count on others to pull up the slack. If the day comes that I have excess money (hah!) I would stash it; I would NOT invest it in the fiction that is the Stock Market. I believe the stock market is a scam, the fact that my own "inheritance" is "in it" notwithstanding. I don't really expect to see any of it as long as my mom keeps the nest egg she and my dad built in the markets.

They (the markets) are not honest, or dependable, though I'm certain my dad thought they were the best idea.

edit on 4-11-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
So much words and posts and talk!

Here we all are, trusting the government to do the right thing by us when (pick any other thread or topic) most ATS folks wouldn't trust the government to fall down if it tripped!

Yet we have people trusting the government to give them back the money they took when they don't trust the government on;
9/11
Roswell
Any war
Taxes
Economy
GMO crops
Chemtrails
Aliens
Stargates
The Moon landings
Mars
Nirubu (yeah, I went there)
Bengazi
The Electoral College
The NWO
The Illuminatti
Agent Orange
DU Rounds
Weapons of mass destruction
Reptillians
Atlantis
Global Warming
South Pole
Ozone holes
HAARP

yet

Let's all TRUST the GOVERNMENT when it comes to our futures!!!

Hahaaaaaaaaaaaa, and if any member ever proved any of those donkey poop things were real, we should all be very scared...

ATS is great for those sorts of topics, yeah? But when it comes down to it, those are just distractions for real issues, aren't they?

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sissel

Hahaaaaaaaaaaaa, and if any member ever proved any of those donkey poop things were real, we should all be very scared...

ATS is great for those sorts of topics, yeah? But when it comes down to it, those are just distractions for real issues, aren't they?

Bottom line is the same.

Do you trust the government?

(I'm kinda simple, so I try to keep it that way
)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join

Haters, Bigots, Partisan Trolls, Propaganda Hacks, Racists, and LOL-tards: Time To Move On.
read more: Community Announcement re: Decorum