It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sea otter jumps on boat to avoid being eaten by whales; cries for baby

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   

n Tutka Bay, Alaska, a momma sea otter saved herself from a group of hungry killer whales by jumping onto a boat. Her baby was not as lucky. When the boat owner radioed another boater in the area about what just happened, he was skeptical, saying, "Of course, you didn't get pictures." The response: "No, I took video."

Indeed, Joe Miller's friend took video of the incident and Miller posted it on YouTube. We pick it up at 1:30 as the mother looks for her baby (who we never actually see), as well as for a way out of her dicey predicament. The ending is absolutely heartbreaking:

The guys on the boat do a nice job of play-by-play:

"She's looking for the baby and she's looking for..."

"A way out."

"Yeah, she don't have nowhere to go."

Ah, but she did. Their boat.

At about the 2:00 mark, one guy says to the sea otter, "Come on momma, you can come up here."

And she did, as if she understood.

The heartbreaking moment comes around the 3:15 mark when the sea otter begins crying for her baby.

Unfortunately, nature can be cruel sometimes.

www.grindtv.com...

Well this is just heart aching but it surely shows animal emotional capabilities. But I guess at the end of the day it is the circle of life and how the world works unfortunately. I wish it wasn't such a violent place.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Thank you for sharing. You just made my Sunday.
It's heart-wrenching of course, and terrifying (to me) - that LITTLE boat and those huge killer whales but wonderful to see the Mom 'make it'. Poor babies!

Great find and thread! S&F!

peace

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by InfamousRebel

Nice video.

If only we as a society put this much importance on human life.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Wow, those guys are so relaxed about the killer whales, I would have been terrified! Those are really bad-ass.

I didn't get the impression the otter was crying for her baby, but rather that she was looking for it, calling it.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Very touching video !
thank you for sharing that
nice connection between human and an animal
making a team against a big predator

i feel for this otter mommy .. she was crying and searching for her baby
RIP for her baby

but we always need to look at both side of the page
yes the otter mommy lost her baby
but the mother whale couldnt feed her own baby whale with a big meal
maybe they were starving for food at this moment

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

When my dog ran out the gate and got loose, I was calling for him terrified and shocked, looking around screaming for him,I thought I'd never find him. That was the sort of crying from the mother, not like "omg my babies dead crying". She doesn't know if her child is dead or not (yet).

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   

That was beautiful and heart wrenching at the same time. I hope she found her baby. Thank you! S&F

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfamousRebel
reply to post by Bluesma

When my dog ran out the gate and got loose, I was calling for him terrified and shocked, looking around screaming for him,I thought I'd never find him. That was the sort of crying from the mother, not like "omg my babies dead crying". She doesn't know if her child is dead or not (yet).

Yeah that sounds right.
My horse miscarried twins, when they were almost to term. She stayed in the same spot they came out dead, for ten days. She was depressed and refusing to eat. The maternal instinct is a strong thing....

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I am sorry for her, otters are so beautiful. Mama.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
She'll have to leanr to harden her heart or...

It'll break and maybe take her along with it to the land of oblivion :/
edit on 4-11-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Yes well, thank you for making me cry lol

I know it's the circle of life and all that and I do love killer whales but that was just sad. It was sweet though to see her get up on the boat, it certainly took a bit of trust on her part because frankly humans can be just as dangerous as the orcas.

I want the killer whales to be able to eat and live but I want the baby to be reunited with the mama - I need chocolate

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesma
Wow, those guys are so relaxed about the killer whales, I would have been terrified! Those are really bad-ass.

I didn't get the impression the otter was crying for her baby, but rather that she was looking for it, calling it.

Think you're right. Seems rather obvious, given how she's looking around searching. The type of cry seems like a call, too.
edit on 4-11-2012 by MrInquisitive because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

Are you kidding? Humans are the bane of the existence of animals. We take all of their resources and destroy their homes. We need to care much much much less about human life and more about the animals and the environment.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
That poor innocent little momma. I'm glad that she survived and so sad for her loss. I wouldn't want to be in a little boat with whales that close!!

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Apparently peguines do this also, lol.
I have had this video up my my youtube channel for some time.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Wow.

These animals are more then just food on the food chain..........

You could sense the fear, from the otter.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

I think humans still have a large part of humanity. It just sometimes gets clouded by financial class, racism, or geological distances.

If Americans truly understood the reality of the wars there would be such a huge movement to end them.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
As sad as this is those killer whales have babies too. From my own experiences I know momma nature is one mean mother...it's the cycle of life.

If we don't stop using the ocean as a sewer it's going to be slim pickens for all ocean life. How much tainted food are they already consuming and feeding to their babies. At least otters can go on land.

That momma otter looks like a healthy specimen, she'll go into heat/breed again. Hopefully the experience won't be lost on her. It could make her a wiser/better momma. The strongest/smartest survive that's just how the animal world works.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by proob4

Look how he's sitting close to the woman at the end. Almost as if at this point he's associating the relief with people. Cool vid

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   

dunno why i gave you stars and flag for posting someone elses incredible video...buuuutt..
i am actually offended by some of the youtube comments...

humans get all heart felt about the momma otter missing her babies
but its ok to not feel for the mama killer whale when she cries for her starving baby who... eats otters to survive...
yes being an animal makes us human... but understanding animalistic nature makes you able to see the big picture and not be an impulsive killer whale hater

top topics

<<   2 >>

join