It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran suspends uranium enrichment

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Looks like we might have a November surprise. Maybe Iran favors Obama?? Anyway WW3 diverted...for now.

snip>

Iran has suspended the enrichment of uranium stockpiles to the 20% purity needed to bring it a short step from building a nuclear device, news services in the region have reported.

Mohammad Hossein Asfari, a member of parliament responsible for foreign policy and national security, was quoted as saying that the move was a "goodwill" gesture, aimed at softening Iran's position before a new round of scheduled talks with the United States after this week's presidential elections.

Asfari said he hoped sanctions would be lifted in return for Iran's actions, otherwise it would resume the programme, according to a website belonging to the Al Arabiya news channel. Talks aimed at halting Iran's enrichment programme have made little progress, leading to the west tightening sanctions and increasing the prospect of military action by Israel.

The Islamic republic's economy has plummeted in the grip of punitive economic measures and Tehran indicated earlier this month that it would be willing to negotiate. However, the offer to suspend enrichment required so many concessions that it was dismissed by the United States.

snip>

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by GrantedBail

Perhaps the economic situation has become such that they need to compromise in order to support the nation.

Iran is not doing well from what I understand and they probably need to do something to lift the sanctions.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

That is funny. Only need to enrich over 20% now and then they have a nuclear bomb? Wow. I love MSM fearmongering. If they wanted to build a "dirty bomb" they could already. To enrich for a true nuclear bomb would be 85% or more...they weren't even close, and I believe this is to allow the US to save face in the light of more people becoming aware of this. They tried to pull another Iraq and it looks like it didn't turn out. Yay! We won!! Good job Iran! Still allowed to enrich and I bet this will make the hard sanctions go away. So sorry, what did the US achieve from this again?....

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I'm sure we're all happy to see Iran is stopping at 20% because if they continued on increasing the west and Israeli would most likely attempt a strike to slow down production. Iran wanted to pursue 60% enrichment so they can have nuclear powered submarines but that's way too close to 90% which is needed to make a nuclear weapon.

Good to see they are stopping at 20% so maybe the US can lift sanctions and Israel can shut up already.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247

Perhaps the economic situation has become such that they need to compromise in order to support the nation.

Iran is not doing well from what I understand and they probably need to do something to lift the sanctions.

That's exactly why Iran is doing this, that and the elections coming next week.

Asfari said he hoped sanctions would be lifted in return for Iran's actions, otherwise it would resume the programme, according to a website belonging to the Al Arabiya news channel.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I think Iran already has the Keshe technology package and they no longer require anything nuclear at all including weapons.They are simply dropping their guard because they can safely do so.They are removing the catalyst for attack on purpose.They are no longer afraid.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
how could you really be sure.

the iaea isn't there 24/7 monitoring every single facility.

the iranians could have a parallel reactor enriching uranium in some unknown location.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

You hit it right on the head. In fact, this move means absolutely nothing to what the IAEA and U.S. have been demanding unless Iran gives up on another issue, and it must come first, by nature.

The West demands unrestricted access to the Nuclear Facility at Parchin. It's a Military nuclear research facility just outside Tehran and Iran claims as a military facility, it's not subject to IAEA protocols. They're right too, by how I read the text of the agreements...but either way, they haven't budged and the West won't let it go.

It'll be interesting to know if that status has changed beyond a single offer for one more look they made a while back. Hmm...

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
how could you really be sure.

the iaea isn't there 24/7 monitoring every single facility.

the iranians could have a parallel reactor enriching uranium in some unknown location.

Actually they are monitoring Iran's nuclear facilities 24/7,

www.businessweek.com...

All of Iran’s declared nuclear material is under IAEA seal, monitored by cameras and subject to regular inspection.

Here's a list of Iran's declared sites, en.wikipedia.org...

So the the conspiracy now says is Iran working on increasing enrichment in a secret location? Mossad is probably who knows if they are or aren't. Funny enough, US and Israeli intelligence agencies do report Iran isn't working on a nuke or planning to.
edit on 3-11-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Here is the problem we have now...

There was an article that ran a few weeks back talking about Iran and the US meeting face to face over this issue. The problem being both sides are saying the report was not true. This report seems to be based on the prior, the face to face meeting between the 2 nations.

Either the 2 are going to sit down and talk and are trying to draw back speculation by denying it, or someone or some nation is manipulating he situation.

Iran denies reports about agreement on direct talks with U.S.

Washington denies secret plan for direct talks with Iran - The Guardian
edit on 3-11-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
They won't get a new shipment of yellowcake in until after the new year.
Might as well take a shot at some political goodwill.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints
They won't get a new shipment of yellowcake in until after the new year.
Might as well take a shot at some political goodwill.

Part of me wonders if this is not Irans attempt to stall things out a bit longer... If they announce they are suspending enrichment, thats one thing. Are they going to allow UN inspoectors into those sites to confirm or are we suppose to just take Irans word for it?

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   

S&F OP. This has to be the first time I can remember diplomaticly pushed sanctions working.

I really hope all the fear mongering stops or at least calms down over Iran nukes.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I wonder why the White House hasn't commented on this yet ?

You would think it's good news ?

This miracle "decision" by Iran could also be a "message" for Romney.

The Obama Campaign must be asleep right now.

I'm sure they will have comments tomorrow morning.

Anything on CNN or MSNBC yet ?

It's 1:30am EST right now.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
this was sooooo predicted weeks ago

someone really needs to shuffle the deck once a decade or so.

yeah, yeah, for a week or two ... political grand-standing, nothing more.
and no, Obama didn't do it, Hillary did.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Thread from Oct 7th.

Some very good comments....

October Surprise? Obama secret Iran deal cut

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Looks like a false alarm?

Fars: Iran not suspending 20% nuclear enrichment

Iran is not suspending 20 percent uranium enrichment in its nuclear program, the Fars news agency reported on Sunday.

The semi-official news agency cited an "informed source" as saying "20 percent uranium enrichment activities continue as before and no change has happened."

The informed source added that "News about Iran's nuclear issues is only announced by the secretariat of the Supreme National Security Council (SNSC)."
Source

Well... Truth is the first casualty, as they say. Who knows what is real over there right now.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Yeah I thought things were a little fishy when I read the OP's source but Irans own news outlets, such as Press TV & the like, are reporting no such thing.

Fooled You!

edit on 4-11-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Since Iran maintains they are not enriching Uranium i have to wonder how anything they say on the subject can be taken seriously. They probably want their citizens to think they are complying so they won't revolt.That or they want sanctions lifted. They will continue until they have nuclear capability to hit Israel.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmiec
Since Iran maintains they are not enriching Uranium i have to wonder how anything they say on the subject can be taken seriously. They probably want their citizens to think they are complying so they won't revolt.That or they want sanctions lifted. They will continue until they have nuclear capability to hit Israel.

Wait what? Iran claims they are not enriching uranium? Oh I seriously doubt that, in fact they are pretty open about enriching uranium. Right now they claim to only be at 20% but have dreams of possibly reaching 60% for nuclear powered submarines. Either way, I doubt Iran claims they are not enriching uranium.
edit on 4-11-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join