It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boy Born Without a Brain Dies - This is not a joke

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Hydrawolf

Dear Hydrawolf,

Science continues to amaze me with what it can do. I watched a show about a boy who had an internal decapitation and lives and another about a girl who suffered seizures and they removed half her brain and she lived. This apparently did not involve medicine keeping this boy alive. It blows my mind.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Trexter Ziam

Dear Trexter Ziam.

Thanks for the additional information.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by elrem48
reply to post by sirhumperdink

all

just part of gods plan he created that baby gave it those problems and then killed it so that she could have that emotionally moving experience and grow as a person
Yeah, I like that...and here's a quote along those lines of thought...If Heaven made him - earth can find some use for him. ~Chinese Proverb

i dont even know how to respond to this other than to hope youre not being serious either .... but unfortunately i dont think thats the case

the fact that most people on the planet share in your sentiments is why we have the world we do today

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by elrem48

Dear elrem48,

I am sorry for your daughters friend. I had never heard of such a thing and when I watched the video I could tell that the baby was responsive, it was self aware. I have a friend who has the most wonderful son, he was only supposed to live a couple of years and is now in his late 20s. He is the most charming and friendly and amusing young man. He is incapable of understanding how things fit together, he cannot understand systems or processes.

Every now and then we produce people who are unique. There are some people who remember every second of their lives and others with photographic memories. I worry about what happens when we stop allowing special children to be born, when we eliminate variety from our gene pools. I don't know that I have anything deep to say about it all, I am still trying to process what it means to be born without a brain and survive. Peace.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trexter Ziam
reply to post by Hydrawolf

Never once did I say it wasn't special. My first post was an answer to the OP's last sentence and question which was:

How was this even possible is my question.

I merely explained briefly HOW it was possible, that's all.

No I wasn't talking about your first post. I was talking about your second post which was in reply to a question AQuestion specifically asked you.

AQuestion asked - Dear Trexter Ziam,

Maybe; but, that the doctors said he shouldn't have lived beyond a day. Why would they say that if it is nothing special?

You thought they could live for up to 21 years in your original reply (of which you soon corrected) which meant that you initially thought a boy living for 3 years without a brain was nothing out of the ordinary.

That was what I was talking about.

You debunked your own reply after discovering it wasn't a very common occurence.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Dear sirhumperdink,

I beg to disagree with you. It is the smart people that mess this world up because they run it. If we are to have Einsteins, we risk having low functioning autistic people. History is replete with stories of people who had unique abilities and fortunately they did because frequently that had just the ability that was needed to avoid some catastrophe.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by sirhumperdink

Originally posted by elrem48

all

just part of gods plan he created that baby gave it those problems and then killed it so that she could have that emotionally moving experience and grow as a person
Yeah, I like that...and here's a quote along those lines of thought...If Heaven made him - earth can find some use for him. ~Chinese Proverb

i dont even know how to respond to this other than to hope youre not being serious either .... but unfortunately i dont think thats the case

the fact that most people on the planet share in your sentiments is why we have the world we do today

I beg to differ..."we have the world we do today" more likely because of people who share YOUR pessimism. Really, it's ALL about how we look at it. You have your beliefs and I have mine, and many others will share in mine as well as yours...so who is right? Ahh, the 64,000 dollar question! As to your sarcastic response to MY response...simply put so you understand where I'm coming from, "Yeah I like that" was sarcastic, and the quote was how I truely feel...there is a rhyme and reason for everyone, and if you don't see that it's your loss.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Dear sirhumperdink,

all just part of gods plan he created that baby gave it those problems and then killed it so that she could have that emotionally moving experience and grow as a person really you have to see the good in the situation god works in mysterious ways and this was for the best because god can do no wrong

I did not post this is the religion threads, I posted it in the medical. If you wish to disprove the existence of God, why not do so using your own thread? Imagine if you were one of the family members and read what you wrote.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion

Dear sirhumperdink,

all just part of gods plan he created that baby gave it those problems and then killed it so that she could have that emotionally moving experience and grow as a person really you have to see the good in the situation god works in mysterious ways and this was for the best because god can do no wrong

I did not post this is the religion threads, I posted it in the medical. If you wish to disprove the existence of God, why not do so using your own thread? Imagine if you were one of the family members and read what you wrote.

Well said.

It is a sad yet remarkable story.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I saw a documentary on this condition years ago, I think it was the phil donahue show, and there was a little girl about 2 years old with no brain, just the brain stem providing life support. There was no recognition of anything around her. Just a face, staring blankly upwards, occasionally mouthing randomly.

The mother and father said that despite this, their daughter was special to them and that while it'd be hard, they would try to provide some sort of life for her.

Heartbreaking. And I can understand their choice, but I personally couldn't. It's no sort of life, and if there is any possible chance at all that there is some 'person' in there.. it would be living hell - and it would be all they have ever known, and will ever know until they sleep.

Even thinking about it like that makes me feel sick and sad...

I really feel for the families of children born with this, and the many other deformities and anatomical discrepancies that warrant full time care with very little chance of the child living any sort of independent life.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by elrem48

how is that being pessimistic thats trying to make the world a better place by solving problems rather than just letting things go because they are supposedly the will of god and everything that happens is for the best because god is infallible

and i know what your beliefs are and find it disgusting that you can dislike it based on real world implications while at the same time spewing it right back out the other side of your mouth

Dear sirhumperdink,

im not here to comfort anybody and its extremely unlikely any family members will read this if i knew they were i would be more tactful but there is no way that im going to help enable anybodies delusions just to make them feel a little better.... when really they should feel very bad.... it was a bad thing that happened.... that doesnt mean stay depressed forever it just means to dont act like everything is a ok and this was for the best
that could end up manifesting itself as psychological issues later

and you may have posted this in the medical section but it was you who made religion a part of the discussion with the implication that the soul may have some role in this.... and other posters expanded upon that

"It raises so many questions about consciousness, the soul, the function of our brain and what is possible."
edit on 4-11-2012 by sirhumperdink because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend
I saw a documentary on this condition years ago, I think it was the phil donahue show, and there was a little girl about 2 years old with no brain, just the brain stem providing life support. There was no recognition of anything around her. Just a face, staring blankly upwards, occasionally mouthing randomly.

The mother and father said that despite this, their daughter was special to them and that while it'd be hard, they would try to provide some sort of life for her.

Heartbreaking. And I can understand their choice, but I personally couldn't. It's no sort of life, and if there is any possible chance at all that there is some 'person' in there.. it would be living hell - and it would be all they have ever known, and will ever know until they sleep.

Even thinking about it like that makes me feel sick and sad...

I really feel for the families of children born with this, and the many other deformities and anatomical discrepancies that warrant full time care with very little chance of the child living any sort of independent life.

Dear winofiend,

It can be very difficult to raise children with special needs; but, these parents did not complain. They talked about how having him had taught them to be a better family. Also, in this case the child was very responsive as can be seen from the video that I linked to. As for what people can do with disabilities, I recommend the video, "No arms, no legs, no problems". You might think differently about what the possibilities are. Peace, there is always hope.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Dear sirhumperdink,

How interesting that you say people's feelings don't matter, it says a lot about you. We can be careful with our words, it is not that difficult and you don't know who reads these threads anymore than I do. It is sad that you take pride in being insensitive.

and you may have posted this in the medical section but it was you who made religion a part of the discussion with the implication that the soul may have some role in this.... and other posters expanded upon that "It raises so many questions about consciousness, the soul, the function of our brain and what is possible."

As you pointed out, I also mentioned consciousness and brain function and did NOT go into any of those issues. I didn't because I wanted to know about how this is even possible. If you really think that silly little comments like yours prove the existence or non-existence of God then start a thread and I promise I will come talk on it and respond to the wisdom that you plan to provide us with directly. You have added nothing to the conversation on either matter. We all know that there is pain and suffering in the world, it isn't news and we were not told that life would be easy.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   

edit on 4-11-2012 by elrem48 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by sirhumperdink
reply to post by elrem48

how is that being pessimistic thats trying to make the world a better place by solving problems rather than just letting things go because they are supposedly the will of god and everything that happens is for the best because god is infallible

and i know what your beliefs are and find it disgusting that you can dislike it based on real world implications while at the same time spewing it right back out the other side of your mouth

Dear sirhumperdink,

im not here to comfort anybody and its extremely unlikely any family members will read this if i knew they were i would be more tactful but there is no way that im going to help enable anybodies delusions just to make them feel a little better.... when really they should feel very bad.... it was a bad thing that happened.... that doesnt mean stay depressed forever it just means to dont act like everything is a ok and this was for the best
that could end up manifesting itself as psychological issues later

and you may have posted this in the medical section but it was you who made religion a part of the discussion with the implication that the soul may have some role in this.... and other posters expanded upon that

"It raises so many questions about consciousness, the soul, the function of our brain and what is possible."

What is the "problem to solve?" Just because I believe in God, does not mean I just "let things go" just because YOU have a pre-conceived notion. I BELIEVE I am free to make my own destiny, and MY GOD does not control me or anyone...it is my own free will that determines my life. If a person BELIEVES something happens for "the best" then it IS "for the best" as they see it! You obviously do NOT know my beliefs, nor do you know me at all! So please oblige me of the "world implications" that you claim I so deplore?!

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Lawgiver

Indeed.

Without our morals, what's possible?

Ask the greys/insectoids/martians/etc, or whatever they're named

But honestly, without our laws we'd probably have done all sorts of sh**. You know all the sh** we do with lab animals? Well, that's just a glimpse of what we'd do with people without morals.

For that matter, maybe God has no human morals and created us in this manner.

Who knows. But it makes you wonder. It has to make you wonder.

We will one day understand, but we'll do it with feelings. Lets hope that when we become a master race that we don't start tinkering with inferior races without feeling for their predicaments.

It makes you look at lab animals differently. In fact, it makes you look at everything differently. Where do we draw the line? Can we dissect and experiment on complex organisms? Or is that not any better? Can we only dissect and experiment on single-celled creatures? No? What about viruses?

See, looked at from the perspective of a lab rat, humans ARE greys. We exhibit almost every single unemotional trait in how we treat lab animals with what's reported in abduction cases.
edit on 4-11-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Dear sirhumperdink,

How interesting that you say people's feelings don't matter, it says a lot about you. We can be careful with our words, it is not that difficult and you don't know who reads these threads anymore than I do. It is sad that you take pride in being insensitive.

and you may have posted this in the medical section but it was you who made religion a part of the discussion with the implication that the soul may have some role in this.... and other posters expanded upon that "It raises so many questions about consciousness, the soul, the function of our brain and what is possible."

As you pointed out, I also mentioned consciousness and brain function and did NOT go into any of those issues. I didn't because I wanted to know about how this is even possible. If you really think that silly little comments like yours prove the existence or non-existence of God then start a thread and I promise I will come talk on it and respond to the wisdom that you plan to provide us with directly. You have added nothing to the conversation on either matter. We all know that there is pain and suffering in the world, it isn't news and we were not told that life would be easy.

did i say that...because you could have quoted it.... or are you putting words in my mouth
im no neurologist i have no expert opinion on how this kid functioned like he did (but i know a couple ways which i know for sure do not make sense and pointing those out would be adding to the discussion no?).... but if thats youre criteria there should be no posts in this thread only a couple posts in here have really added much of anything.... for the most part its been one big circle jerk

im not trying to prove or disprove god im saying its absolutely silly and egotistically to think our lives are so important they demand constant attention and intervention from god and that its laughable to think this kid being alive and able to smile is some evidence of a soul (and that some of these ideas commonly accepted by some mainstream religions are completely illogical and can be very damaging psychologically.... which you should take as about as much of an attack as saying your favorite sports team sucks assuming they do objectively)

remember just because it feels good doesnt mean it is good for you (and also remember that feeling bad is a survival mechanism ....makes you feel uncomfortable so that you change the circumstances of your situation as quickly as possible because its likely a less than hospitable environment and its probably not healthy to constantly try to suppress that)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Dear sirhumperdink,

So tell us, what are you trying to prove? A simple question that should have a simple answer relevant to this thread and this thread is not about God and it is not about a soul. I did not limit nor explain what I thought a soul was because it is not the point. A soul could be limited to this life, it could be your sentience merely because you are sentient and so was this child. The question should be what did the child know and why was he so special to the family, not why should we have to deal with people who are not as good as us, people who might require more of our efforts.

You have so many posts; but, I could not find any threads authored by you. That is the sign of a bored troll. Take a position, make it clear, state what you believe and start a thread on it, show courage and belief. I will come and respond, I promise. Send me a U2U when you have started your thread so that I can see it, lest it get buried in all the other threads. Send us all a U2U when you proudly state what you believe in your own thread.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Dear sirhumperdink,

Here are your actual words, not as nice as I portrayed them.

im not here to comfort anybody and its extremely unlikely any family members will read this if i knew they were i would be more tactful but there is no way that im going to help enable anybodies delusions just to make them feel a little better.... when really they should feel very bad.... it was a bad thing that happened.

You are "not here to comfort anybody" and you doubt the family may ever read any of this. Well, saying you doubt they will read it is a pitiful justification for not caring about their feelings. Perhaps you intended for people to read your words and think about what a caring and concerned person for others that you are; but, they don't come off that way. You appear to be someone more concerned with your own well being than others. Looking out for number one and you don't wish to be inconvenienced by those who are less than you.

I gave your actual quote, do you feel better? Do you believe your words show you to be someone who cares about others or just selfish and self-centered? They are your words, stand by them or think a little bit longer about who you really are.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

You have so many posts; but, I could not find any threads authored by you. That is the sign of a bored troll. Take a position, make it clear, state what you believe and start a thread on it, show courage and belief. I will come and respond, I promise. Send me a U2U when you have started your thread so that I can see it, lest it get buried in all the other threads. Send us all a U2U when you proudly state what you believe in your own thread.
I must respond to the "That is the sign of a bored troll" declaration. I also do not have any of my own threads...maybe someday, but for now I just like to post responses to threads from others. Call it sheer laziness if you'd like, but troll I am not...I swear to "God!" Haha.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join