It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NAACP Takes Over Houston Polling Station, Advocates for President Obama

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
The annoying thing about trying to paint the NAACP poll watching to deal with the Tea Party "True the Vote" effort as a partisan attempt to intimidate voters (and when all it takes for some people to get shot is a hoodie and skittles...), is the whole effort was designed to DEAL WITH voter intimidation that was already out there;

A new report from Common Cause and Demos, titled "Bullies at the Ballot Box," describes efforts by right-wing groups -- foremost among them, a Tea Party spin-off group called True the Vote -- to train as many as a million volunteers in "poll-watching."
LINK

To be fair, I just SAID it was rampant on the Right. So now I'm going to post the links that nobody promoting this nonsense about the NAACP will actually research. They'll just find those 3 "black panther" dudes, and pretend this is a huge movement and justification for thousands of incidents of malfeasance on the part of Republicans.

Here goes nothing;
New Mexico: Republican Party leader caught on video training how to intimidate voters the also destroy ed registration forms
McDonalds employees told they won't get raises if Romney doesn't win.
Anonymous Billboards spread fear, uncertainty and doubt
Tea-Party group under investigation
Here's the Black Panther incident and the Fox News freak out -- note that they didn't do anything threatening. White people feel about Black Panthers the way everyone else feels about the Tea Party -- it's a draw!
Colorado -- yup, here too! Guess who the corporate sponsors are... Oh, and they also said they might have to lay off if Romney doesn't win. -- even though the employer doesn't PAY for Obamacare -- sheesh!
Texas and Latino voters
Here'a Scott Walkers people having a hand at scaring people off...
An article covering voter intimidation in 10 states
Detroit
Redwood City, California
I think I could be here all night finding incident reports -- that are a bit more "real" than this one by NAACP. Which -- once again, was in response to what the Tea Party was ALREADY DOING.

I'm accused of not caring about Voter Intimidation -- No, I care -- I'm just not going to bother with the smoke screen based on "True the Vote" trying to have a presence so these things don't happen as people PRETEND to be threatened by them.

It's telling that I can find a few dozen extreme examples and ATS is here dwelling on people in t-shirts handing out bottles of water.
edit on 6-11-2012 by VitriolAndAngst because: True the Vote is the name of the Tea Party intimidation group -- not the group formed in response by the NAACP.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by VitriolAndAngst

Hmmm....you should try a whole lot harder to misrepresent the issue that people have with it. I don't think you have wrongfully beaten that racism horse hard enough yet to prove its been dead for a LOOOOONG time.

Electioneering is pretty clear. Unless you have evidence that what they were doing was NOT electioneering, you are just blowing a lot of wind.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by elouina
reply to post by SweetChild

Actually it wasn't a single blog. And this was actually reported for investigation. Will be right back with some more info.

This story is found on:
Fox
Briebert
True To Vote
Daily Paul
reddit
Electionlawcenter
Etc... Etc...

edit on 6-11-2012 by elouina because: (no reason given)

BreitBart is NOT A SOURCE -- they link to articles.
Reddit is a BLOG -- not a source.
"True to Vote" -- or "Truth the Vote" not sure who is who. The Tea Party groups is the one intimidating latinos at polling booths, they are UNDER INVESTIGATION, so that's NOT A credible SOURCE.

So you've got Fox News and "Electionlawcenter" -- are those actually corroborating this story or are they merely reporting on the reporting? There is a difference.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

Hmmm....you should try a whole lot harder to misrepresent the issue that people have with it. I don't think you have wrongfully beaten that racism horse hard enough yet to prove its been dead for a LOOOOONG time.

Electioneering is pretty clear. Unless you have evidence that what they were doing was NOT electioneering, you are just blowing a lot of wind.

I have not mentioned racism. I merely mentioned that Black People were wearing T-Shirts and that the T-Shirts must have been the reason for the feeling of fear by you and others as "you are not racists" and perhaps racism does not exist. You mentioned about Black Panthers - - and STILL, I don't see how that's a fear about black people. That's a fear of either the Number 3 (as that was the number of black people with the Panther t-shirts) or once again, the compelling common thread here is "wearing t-Shirts." Black people are just a coincidence -- I'm with you on that. Why are you bringing up racism?

It's the T-Shirts, or you find small groups of people scary.

Is Electioneering another term, or are we still talking about Voter Intimidation at polling stations? You just made a comment and ignored the plethora of links I've provided for REAL EVENTS. Did you click them? Are you saying you don't CARE about Voter Intimidation or is it just about NAACP voter intimidation that MIGHT have happened because we know that t-shirts are a threat?

You have to explain this as if you were talking to a rational person who hasn't been in your bunker.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   

I bring up racism because you are making sure you mention that they were "black people".

Nothing in this discussion warrants a discussion on their race. What we are discussing are PEOPLE who are electioneering. That is illegal. You can paint a more rosy picture by saying they are handing out water. Simple fact: handing out water at a voting precinct is electioneering and is illegal.

If the law said that it was only illegal for "black people" to electioneer, then your input of their skin color would matter. Otherwise, it doesn't and you are including for whatever other reason (which I am just going to presume is your attempt to shout this down with cries of "RACISM!!!!!" until you provide a compelling enough reason for me to view it differently).

I don't care who it is doing it. If you have other examples, please make a thread about it. I will come and bash them, too. But this thread is about that instance. There is no use trying to justify the wrong actions of these people by pointing out the wrongs of another. A turd is a turd, no matter where it lays. And I will call it as such when I see it.
edit on 6-11-2012 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

If I have other examples of Electioneering...

I gave you at least TEN.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by VitriolAndAngst

I gave you at least TEN.

Oh for the love of God, please finish quoting me:

if you have other examples of electioneering, I would love to see them. Make a thread about it

are you being obtuse on purpose?

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyGreenEyes

three NAACP members showed up to the 139 precinct location with 50 cases of bottled water and began handing bottles out to people standing in line

Wow THREE? OMG! That's almost as large as the Black Panther showing that Fox News was freaking out about. And they had on "True the Vote" t-shirts... wow.

How dare they give out water bottles!

Did any of you notice all the cases of REAL intimidation and checking "green cards" going on by the NeoCons? The existential threats that the "I'm not Prejudiced But..." crowd keeps having to scrape up is really getting trivial.

They did not simply "give out water bottles". They also talked about voting for Obama (a Federal crime), and moved people forward in line (also illegal). Who is the NAACP to decide who has to wait in line longer? Why should they determine that people standing in line longer had to wait on people THEY decided to move to the front???

You do know, I hope, that a green card holder is not eligible to vote, right? That verifying the identity of people is not "intimidation"?

Anyone who is ASKING for papers from a voter who is not part of the election process is ABSOLUTELY intimidating. They should have to spend the night in jail for that. It's a jerk thing to do.

WE have one article of the NAACP maybe doing something stupid. We don't have any verification of this -- so you can I can't really talk about it. I don't think they have the RIGHT to move people in line. And if they talked about Obama -- someone should kick their butt off the premises. Remember, this entire incident was IN RESPONSE to what the Tea Party was doing -- which was voter intimidation.

All in all, we are talking about a small group of people with a misdemeanor -- IF they are guilty. It pales in comparison to the many incidents of intimidation, destruction of registration forms, and electronic voting fraud that have gone on. We've got ten cases of actual Voters voting more than once (but less than three times), maybe a dozen people who offered water bottles and opinions, and you know, that in a nutshell, is the entire Obama conspiracy to win the election.

If I had fallen on my head a few times more in life, I might not know about the Green Cards... but yes, I know those aren't proof of being a citizen.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

I gave you at least TEN.

Oh for the love of God, please finish quoting me:

if you have other examples of electioneering, I would love to see them. Make a thread about it

are you being obtuse on purpose?

I was going for the important point; other examples of electioneering -- and you somehow forgot the post where I just mentioned many examples of "electioneering" LOOK RIGHT UP ABOVE YOU

I'm not trying to be obtuse, I'm trying to cope with another ATS thread of people afraid of a dozen people involved in a Liberal Conspiracy who might have done something annoying.

I knew you wouldn't check out any of the links -- so here I am, debating fluff with someone angry about some incident that MIGHT not be true, but if it is, it's merely people being annoying, with water bottles, t-shirts, and being opinionated. Oh please -- they moved people in line? Alleged line cutting is serious stuff, to be sure. But we still have to prove it in court. Not sure how this helps Obama.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Anyone who is ASKING for papers from a voter who is not part of the election process is ABSOLUTELY intimidating. They should have to spend the night in jail for that. It's a jerk thing to do.

WE have one article of the NAACP maybe doing something stupid. We don't have any verification of this -- so you can I can't really talk about it. I don't think they have the RIGHT to move people in line. And if they talked about Obama -- someone should kick their butt off the premises. Remember, this entire incident was IN RESPONSE to what the Tea Party was doing -- which was voter intimidation.

All in all, we are talking about a small group of people with a misdemeanor -- IF they are guilty. It pales in comparison to the many incidents of intimidation, destruction of registration forms, and electronic voting fraud that have gone on. We've got ten cases of actual Voters voting more than once (but less than three times), maybe a dozen people who offered water bottles and opinions, and you know, that in a nutshell, is the entire Obama conspiracy to win the election.

If I had fallen on my head a few times more in life, I might not know about the Green Cards... but yes, I know those aren't proof of being a citizen.

Where is any evidence that someone not attached to the election asked anyone for papers? I haven't even seen a link for that so far. Poll workers asking for identification might or might not be an issue, depending on where one lives. Where I am, I showed my ID, happily and with a smile. I proved that I was the person in the registration book, signed my name, and cast my own vote. Not showing ID means anyone could have walked in there, claimed to be me, and voted in my place. That HAS happened. Dead people have voted. In fact, the deceased mother of my ex "voted" in 2008, in Ohio, along with about 20,000 other dead people.

What we have is one of MANY cases of voter intimidation from the left. Check my signature, and you can see a lot more. Some at the start, and several more added today, as the stories came in. Yes, there is a case of a Republican (maybe) person fired for allegedly tampering with ballots, as well. However, most of the stories are about Democrats, Obama supporters, intimidation, threatening, even attacking, the opposition. That's a lot more than a handful of NAACP people breaking the law in Houston (assuming they actually did so). This is just one case among many. I hope you take time to check all of the links I posted. Please, by all means, check the information on other sources as well. But, look and see where the bulk of the issues really lie. They aren't with voter ID laws.

To be clear, I don't want to see ANY fraud, from either side. Anyone doing so should be prosecuted.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   

and that is the thing: this thread isn't court. This thread has a topic. That topic is about the NAACP and the alleged event in Houston.

If you have input related to that, either proving or disproving it, please provide said evidence. Otherwise, please make your own thread about the other instances. Maybe even post a link back here so we can come be outraged with you.

FWIW, I don't play the liberal/conservative game. Being someone who thinks for himself, aligning myself with any other group is difficult. I only demand logic and truth.

ETA: I am not here to judge how bad the electioneering is. Or to have it rationalized by pointing out the sins of "the other group". Either this instance is electioneering, or it isn't (if it even happened). Individually, on its own merits, it should be judged.

What you seem to be saying is, "Aww, thats nothing. Look what these guys did". So do it in your own thread.
edit on 6-11-2012 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I live just outside of Houston and work in the city. It did happen and is being investigated. Regardless of what they were doing it is illegal to be within 100 feet of the polling place in Texas unless you are voting. So, they were inside the polling place and were not voting, therefore, they were breaking the law. The poll judge was notified and did nothing. That judge should not be allowed to be a part of the process again in my opinion other than their rightful vote.

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join