It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans suffer from tunnel-vision (Specifically ATS'ers)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I'm tired of hearing about the U.S. presidential election, the middle-east and China. The majority of threads cover the issues in these regions and for the most part the rest of the world couldn't give hoot about it.

I understand that the majority of members are American, but come on there's whole wide world out there each with there very own socio-economic problems, war, political- and other conspiracies, supernatural phenomena, etc.

I don't blame Americans though, for their narrow-mindedness, I actually blame the media. I think most here just write about stuff they see on television.

But, honestly, if I wanted to know what is going on in those regions I can just switch on CNN.

Surely there must be more to the world, right?

These things might not be relative to your lives but they surely are to others, and I'm sure most here enjoy learning things. So why not take the time to research something else?

Focus on something entirely new other than that which the media wants you to focus on. I dare you! Infact, I freaking double dare you!

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by DariusHames

Why don't you start a thread that isn't related to any of those American things that bother you then? Instead you have started a thread bringing attention to the very issues you are riled up about. Isn't that counter productive?

If you would like to begin a discussion about something ELSE I'm sure someone like yourself might enjoy it. Consider it anyway. If you don't appreciate the current user created content please try creating something interesting to contribute instead of just grumping about it.

Just sayin'...

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Not really.... you're only seeing the people who actually create and respond to these threads. I agree that the political/election threads are spammed too much, & I don't pay attention to any of them. People are constantly giving their statement on who they're going to vote for and why, or what reason to not vote for Romney/Obama. Really it's pointless. They're both corrupt, period. Both liars. The system is a rigged duopoly that won't change for the better unless people see what the root of the problem is.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16

Why don't you start a thread that isn't related to any of those American things that bother you then? Instead you have started a thread bringing attention to the very issues you are riled up about. Isn't that counter productive?

If you would like to begin a discussion about something ELSE I'm sure someone like yourself might enjoy it. Consider it anyway. If you don't appreciate the current user created content please try creating something interesting to contribute instead of just grumping about it.

Just sayin'...

^.^.^.^ ^

Yeah...what she so eloquently said......the elections are almost over...you'll be safe soon...

Des

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
You've only been here a few days

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Yeah, that's easy to say when you're sitting on the other side of the fence.

Say you create another thread bout something which isn't trending. . . it wont get any responses. So what's the use putting in energy into something else which doesn't attract any attention cause others are too busy debating about Obama and Romney?!

I know what's going on in the rest of the world. I know whats going on in my own country and I know EVEN MORE about what is going on in America.

I'm asking you, Americans, to widen your own world

Also, its kind of hypocritical of you guys. You call yourselves open minded, new thinkers, you even say you deny ignorance, but you don't. Infact you don't even realize what a bunch of puppets you are

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Wah, wah wah. I'm mad about the user generated content.

If you don't like something or you're tired of hearing it , don't read it.
There are years of threads on here covering the entire gammit of topics you could possibly discuss. Pick a topic you are interested in and use the search function. You should be able to keep yourself occupied for hours.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Yup, only took me a few days to realize the narrowness of the discussions taking place here. Should actually be a sign of how obvious it is.

Anyway, like most new members I use to lurk around here, but I've always felt, even before joining, that ats can be one-sided when it comes to the rest of the world.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Well, I started 2 threads yesterday, one about the election and one that was not. My guess would be that you did not bother to read it, as the title probably didn't interest you. I'm sure other people also created many other threads that were in no way related to any of the American issues that bother you so much. Did you read any of them?

There are many topics covered on ATS that are not related to any of these things that have your drawers in a knot. If you can't be bothered to investigate past the most popular topics of the time that is your own fault. As an American, I don't really cars WHAT you think about me- you do not know me.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by DariusHames
reply to post by VoidHawk

Yup, only took me a few days to realize the narrowness of the discussions taking place here. Should actually be a sign of how obvious it is.

Anyway, like most new members I use to lurk around here, but I've always felt, even before joining, that ats can be one-sided when it comes to the rest of the world.

Considering you live on the USS Enterprise, per your avi..it's funny how you think ATS is sliced and diced into world regions. We are a Global Community. If you don't like what you see strolling down one street...try another one....

Des

edit on 3-11-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

Whatever.

FEMA Camps, David Icke, Roswell, and the freaking Mayans. . . all American, all trending. . . in America.

I feel like I live in America....

Infact it reminds me of this song.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
You know what I think . . . just an observation I made now. . . not only are Americans narrow-minder, but they live in denial of their narrow-mindedness.

Being productive here. . .

Discovering no amount of anything will change that fact and I'm fighting a losing battle here.

And, honestly, seems to gathering a lot of attention. Guess my job is done here.

Wanna garner Americas attention. Insult them, that's the only way!

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

not only are Americans narrow-minder, but they live in denial of their narrow-mindedness.

Seriously? Do you really think that you are showing how broad-minded you are by lumping all Americans together with such a simplistic statement? In fact, you are displaying the opposite of open-mindedness yourself. This may be at the root of your anger: You yourself may be incredibly close-minded, to the point where you have to rant about a whole country's mindset.

There are many things we Americans like to learn about. Using the excuse that it is pointless to start a thread about things that go on in other parts of the world is just a cop-out.

The timing of your rant is poor. Our election day is next Tuesday, so of course many Americans are thinking about, and debating, this subject. After the election, the political threads will die down, and people will find other things to write about and discuss. Politics is the subject d'jour right now. Surely you can see this....?

You have an American icon as an Avatar, along with your location. Seems to me that you could choose a different way to represent yourself, one that is not so stereotypically American.

If ATS is not cosmopolitan enough for your tastes, you can always exit and go somewhere else.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by DariusHames
You know what I think . . . just an observation I made now. . . not only are Americans narrow-minder, but they live in denial of their narrow-mindedness.

Being productive here. . .

Discovering no amount of anything will change that fact and I'm fighting a losing battle here.

And, honestly, seems to gathering a lot of attention. Guess my job is done here.

Wanna garner Americas attention. Insult them, that's the only way!

You're kidding right? You paint all Americans with a broad brush stroke of "narrow-mindedness", proceeding to say that ATS Americans specifically. You get some replies & then state that we're in denial of narrow-mindedness?? How so? Many of us already realize exactly what the political system is, and many of us refuse to comply with their game.

Calling people narrow-minded solely based on your (clearly biased) viewpoint doesn't mean anything. Actually it may just mean that you're the narrow-minded one. Glad you could illogically reaffirm yourself.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I think we should petition the owners to change EVERYTHING on ats and deny users the ability to post what they want JUST to make this OP happy. Obviously he is used to the world revolving around him and denying other individuals the right to post on a board he has no part of contributing to, owning or maintaining.

If you look or can manage to work the search function, you can find many things... including more American hating whiners you can speak with. Your singular interest is easy to find. There are plenty who lurk and yet STILL sign up ( or create a new account due to being banned or proven a fool) to cry and whine about being forced to sign up and read things they dont like to read.

Look to the top of the page.. 2nd to last on your right. Click SEARCH. Better yet, click the last one : LOG OUT.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
It's been suggested that if you're not happy with the content, to actually start some of your own. It's well known that ATS's content is brought here by the members of ATS. So pitch in.

But instead you've whined that no one will read it.

It's been suggested that you use the Search feature on here ot find subjects that you are interested. ATS has been here for many years now, and a huge range of subjects spanning the globe are located on here.

But it seems you'd rather whine about current subjects.

So here is another suggestion: if this place bothers you that much, if you don't like the content that you are seeing, can't be bothered to help bring new content that you find interesting, or can't be bother to do so research to find some subjects that might be archived on here, that you might be able to help contribute to, then there's only one thing left:

The Door.

It's over there. Don't let it hit your rear end on your way out.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Have you even looked at the new topic fire-hose posts for the last 24 hours? There are all kinds of topics listed there, take your pick. Or are you not interested because they are not "trending" at the moment?

The door swings both ways around here.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Umadbrah?

Stop whinging and bring on an X-File or two then.

Oh - Aussie here btw

edit on 4-11-2012 by Sublimecraft because: Burp

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   

You complain too much. Wahhhhhhh Americans.Go find another site if you don't like this one. Better yet don't read a thread you have no interest in. It's really that simple.Trust me,it really is.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Although the Following is a " Satire " in Reality almost All Americans are Actually Like This:
No Really ! Seriously !

Below is the Reason for your Very Real Observations ! Enjoy !

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AMERICANS ANNOYED BY "ALL THE INTERNATIONAL NEWS" ON INTERNET

Web's Increasingly Worldly Flavor Threatens Americans' Worldview
PULLMAN, WASH. (SatireWire.com) —
The profusion of international news available on the Internet has made
it increasingly difficult for the average American to ignore the rest
of the world, a trend researchers say threatens Americans' long, proud history
of disregarding anything not about them.
"With all the foreign newspapers and multi-cultural sites, the Internet
is making it almost impossible for the average American to remain
uninformed and apathetic," said Samantha Lessborn of Washington State
University, which conducted the survey. "Americans can still do it.
But it now takes effort, whereas before it was as easy as turning off
Tom Brokaw whenever he said 'In South Korea today...'"
According to survey participant Danny Grisham, a 22-year-old from
Cheyenne, Wyoming, it's not just the plethora of international news on
the Web that is irritating. "Look, I can get around the news. I just turn
off Reuters headlines in MyYahoo," he said. "But even some of the search
sites like Yahoo and Alta Vista are available in different languages.
Like everybody in the world doesn't speak English. Yeah, right."
"I can see where it's important if we're, like, beating some country
in the Olympics or bombing them or, ideally, both," Grisham added.
Other respondents said they were appalled, not just by the availability
of non-U.S. news, but by the way important U.S. news is reported by
some of these foreign sites. "Yesterday, for instance, the St. Louis Rams
beat the Atlanta Falcons, OK, and I go to the London Times site and
it's not even there," said Chip Pernadge of Kansas City, Mo.
"Jesus, no wonder those guys lost the war and had to give Hong Kong
back to Canada."
Sensing a market opportunity, Net Nanny, makers of Net Nanny filtering
software, announced this week it will introduce NetNarrow, an English-only
product that automatically filters out content that appears to be international.
Specifically, the software looks for world datelines and keywords
indicative of irrelevant foreign stories, including "Shiite,"
"post-Apartheid," and "Bob Geldof."
Survey-taker Craig Barker of Brooklyn, New York, said he will be among
the first to get NetNarrow. "On the Web, there are so many ways to get
news from so many different places, I could really get some fresh insights
into what's going on in other countries if I wanted to," he said..
"But I don't want to."
"You'd think these Internet people would know that," Barker added.
"I mean, that's why the Internet is called America Online, right?
It's supposed to be about America."
Editor's Note: It seems that after reading this entirely fictional story,
some investors/customers of Net Nanny believed the company actually was
going to produce NetNarrow software. As a result, Net Nanny asked
SatireWire to please assure people that this is not the case.
No, really.
Copyright © 2000-2001, SatireWire.

I saved this old Satire from satirewire.com, because it is in Reality so True about almost All Americans - No Really !

edit on 11/4/2012 by chrisb9 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join