It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asking for a new gun for X-Mas, thoughts?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

A word of advice. If you buy a shotgun, get one with a stock, not a pistol grip. The pistol grip will adversely affect accuracy at range, and really, its more of a very short range home defense configuration. I'm not going to say it can't be done, but I wouldn't want to face a charging bear with one. And honestly, I wouldn't consider anything else for bear protection except a 12 gauge, at least within your budget. A 12 gauge loaded up with slugs is more than adequate and a reliable pump action shotgun can be bought for under $300 just about anywhere.

I'd also want a decent backup and would look for, at minimum, a .44 magnum revolver. I'm not sure anything with less one-round punch would be adequate for a large bear.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Kozmo gave you some good advice, you need to figure out what role this firearm is for.You have the .22 for small game,so the shotgun is a bit redundant for that. Bear defense and hunting? The shotgun would be superior,for sure. The AR is a nice platform, but I think far too many people are just taken in by the "cool" factor and buy it for that reason. If you anticipate having to defend yourself against the ravaging hordes, the n go for it. Otherwise,for practical things such as hunting and bear defense,there are scores of better choices.

I bowhunt in some fairly remote places that have high numbers of bears. Grizzlies have become something of a problem here in the last few years,as there has been no hunting season for them for the last 7-8 years and their numbers are up and fear of humans down. I carry a 12 guage shotgun when hunting alone. I chose this particular shotgun due to it's light weight mostly,as that becomes a major issue when carry it all day,every day. I use Challenger slugs in it, but you can buy even better ones like Brenneke's in the U.S. There are numerous kinds of slugs,and they don't all perform the same. Most are soft lead hollow base slugs,meant mostly for deer hunting. They work,but can lack in penetration. Brenneke's and the like are much harder alloys,and tend to penetrate considerably more. Something to keep in mind.

I'd stay away from fancy grips and the like too. Use a regular stock and you'll shoot better. Pistol grips make the gun a bit shorter, and people think they look cool. Try shooting some Brenneke's as fast as you can with a pistol grip shotgun at a paper plate 10 yards away,and you'll see why it's a bad idea. With bears, your likely to get one shot if you are lucky. Until you've seen it happen,it is really hard to understand just how fast a bear can move when properly motivated. Forget about pumping multiple rounds into a cahrging bear-hope to get one shot,and make that one accurate! I don't care how powerful your firearm is, you must make a good hit if you want to stop a bear.

Do you plan on hunting outside of a survival situation? If so, the advice given to you to get a good ol' 30-06 is sound,you really can't go wrong. And as for synthetic stocks, I wouldn't worry too much about the cold. I've used them at -30C without issue, but if your worried about it than laminates offer a strong and inexpensive alternative

So, to sum it up, I would suggest you avoid being taken in by cool looking guns and try to think practically. Consider what your most likely uses and needs will be,then buy what fits best. Oh yeah, and $800 is plenty, in fact I bought my defense shotgun for $200 new,and that's in Canada! Plenty of very good rifle's and shotguns out there in the $500 range, no need to pay more if you don`t want to.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
If you're looking for affordable give Hi-Point a shot. I've owned 2 and my current c-9 is just awesome. I've run over 1,000 rounds through it and still out shoot most people. It hasn't jammed, hi-hattted nor misfed ever! I clean it when I feel like it and it still gives me love when at the range. Handles ALL 9mm. Seems the cheaper the better, such as Tul ammo. I'll put mt Hi=Point up against any production gun out there and be confident.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I've heard this newbie is good.....

www.outdoorlife.com... -sig-sauer-m400-556-great-bargain-ar

The article says its direct impingement.....but I heard it was piston driven so I don't know
Retails around 900.

I've never had problems with a bushmaster...and I have fired wolf steel case through it.

Oh I too like the beretta storm......BSG colonial forces weapon.

edit on 3-11-2012 by SrWingCommander because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Thanks for all the replies everyone!

I'm thinking my AR-7 with ammo weighs about 4 pounds.

A 30-06 or 308 rifle might be the way to go. Isn't 308 easier to find?

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Not really,both are available pretty much anywhere you can buy ammo. There is still some surplus 308 around I suppose,and it's probably easier to find in bulk quantities, but '06 ammo is definitely one of the most common rounds out there. You'll be fine either way,and performance is close enough that you'll likely never notice the difference.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Only in america one thinks christmas is a "darn gewd tahm ta buy a gun - and a cheap one too!, aint it nora-lee? - Naw grab thos' kids woman we goin shoppin' yessiree thats what my ol pa always said - how ye celebrate christmas? by SHEWTING STUFF THAT MAWVES!!"

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Ruger makes the perfect gun for what you need. It is called the "scout" . It is the ultimate survival rifle. It is a .308 bolt action with a 10 round clip, laminate stock, iron sights, and black matte barrel. Very much a military style "if I had to depend on one gun to survive ..."

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

Yes, because all people who own or buy firearms are inbred with speech impediments? Thanks for announcing your ignorance.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by lambs to lions
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

Yes, because all people who own or buy firearms are inbred with speech impediments? Thanks for announcing your ignorance.

What does that has to do with anything I said? I own 2... whats the matter with you? Have trouble reading?

I just think "new gun for christmas" sounds like contradiction by concept.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by lambs to lions

Cabella's has it -- it's a little more than I'm wanting to spend, but it looks like it's the best deal for the money!

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom
reply to post by lambs to lions

Cabella's has it -- it's a little more than I'm wanting to spend, but it looks like it's the best deal for the money!

Just helping a bit...

Bolt sticks... A LOT. You have to hug it like its your long lost teddy bear to use the bolt. Its not friendly and you cant keep it in sight while using the bolt due to that stupid hard sticky bolt.

Reload is bad - steel magazine is a pain to load.

Heavy and long... I know it and I dont like it. You better try one first

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by lambs to lions
"if I had to depend on one gun to survive ..."

Well... as opposed to "keep it short and light" right?

This gun is no "survival gun".

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Pretty crazy that you can buy these weapons for cheaper than a Playstation

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   
I use to own a herny, those are a great .22, loved mine and am looking at replacing it some time.
Currently i have the ol .22 squirrel gun wood stock picked it up used for $50, works like a charm.
(they do work great for grouse hunting, thats all i will use, hate shotguns for grouse and birds
spend more time spitting out lead than eating. BTW Tip for all. Grouse hunting, take your time
find the 'mother' of the group, shoot her first and the rest will not fly away. they will stick around by her, if you hit one of the others first, the rest will follow the mother and fly away.)

I also have 30.06, and 9mm pistol, although i have to admit the pistol is just for play, its a fun toy but no real stooping power. Hopefully i will upgrade before long to a 1911, or at least that is what i am hoping for.

OP, start hitting up your local pawn shops and check online craigs list, and facebook for sale pages,
for $800 you should be able to pick up both a used 12g pump as well as a rifle of some kind.

My .06 is unusual, its a semi auto, i was wanting bolt when i purchased it, but i got a heck of a deal
on it, and just couldn't pass it up. There is a kit i can get to switch it to a 20rnd clip. Which i have
considered getting just for SnG's for a 'in case' situation.

Also another tip for all, DO NOT use oil on your gun, use Graphite instead.
Oil will freeze in colder weather causing a gun to jam, where graphite will not freeze.
(well im sure i will at some temp but i dont think anyone with any brains would be out in
that cold of temp.

I agree with many, skip the fancy handle's and stocks, stick with what works.
Those ol wooden stocks may not look the fanciest but they do add weight which
helps control the recoil on the gun, and are time tested.
edit on 4-11-2012 by severdsoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni
Bolt sticks... A LOT. You have to hug it like its your long lost teddy bear to use the bolt. Its not friendly and you cant keep it in sight while using the bolt due to that stupid hard sticky bolt.

Yep. I did a little research on the rifle a couple of months ago and found numerous reports of that problem. Some of the Youtube reviews show how the bolt sticks badly if you don't manipulate it just perfectly. I don't know if its something that they can clear up or if its a problem inherent to the design of the rifle. In any event, its unfortunate, because I really like the concept.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   
im telling you know i know way more about weapons than u all i think best wepon u can get is the
scar-h red dot with juggernaut, sleight of hand and steady aim. maybe get 2 claymores
i know wat im talkin about trust me u cant go wron
edit on 4-11-2012 by Jauk3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   
BTW, you might also consider a few of the good lever action rifles out there. Even a .30-30 makes a very good utility rifle, and while it might be a bit underwhelming for grizzly protection, it could do in a pinch with decent shot placement. The old non-Remington Marlins are good guns and won't break the bank. A .45-70 would be better, and although they're a bit on the expensive side, Browning makes a lever action rifle in a number of the more powerful calibers suitable to your purpose.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
+1 for Ak, I have an AR but am looking for an AK too. You can never go wrong with a shot gun, but make sure it has a full size magazine tube. Mine holds 6 + 1. If you need more than that in a shot gun, you pissed of the wrong people or Grizzly Bear. I also would suggest Glock or Sig Sauer for a pistol, you can find police trade ins for pretty cheap if you look around. I would also suggest a Mosin Nagant. It is comparable to .308 & 30-06. and can be found for around $100.
Whatever you choose train with it often and learn the weapon inside and out, and hope you never have to use it.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I did not know that Santa Claus brought us firearms for Xmas! LoL

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join