Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Asking for a new gun for X-Mas, thoughts?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by kawika

My old man *used* to have a shotgun reloader. He never really knew how to use it, and I think it's long gone now

I have no idea about re-loading, but it would seem (with my limited knowledge) -- that a shotgun is basically a "cannon". It doesn't have a rifled barrel, and as long as you can put a primer and powder into a shell -- you can shoot whatever you want (within reason!).

I do long for a good lightweight rifle that can take down heavy game and be used for protection. I just don't think for under $800 I can find one.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

Check out Gunbroker.com or Gunauction.com.

A buddy of mine picked up a SOCOM II for under $1000.00. Mechanically it was fine, though the stock was broken.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Hmmm... Shotgun / Assault Rifle (weighing pros and cons) Hmmm... Why choose?

I wish I can say I've owned one. I had the chance, passed on it for a trade on a mini-14...and I've regretted it since. I didn't know much about it and it looked like a warped idea bound to have some kind of problems. Turns out, as I've read since, these are pretty well loved by their owners. 12 gauge punch on the simplicity of the AK- platform.

It's also depicted in the end of 'On Deadly Ground' with Seagal's character in the oil platform. it's ...quite a gun and not suffering the polymer issues.

*Gunbroker has one at $799 at the moment...and more above and below that for price range
edit on 3-11-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: added price info

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Well, if you do go with a shotgun, don't go with that weird overhand thing. That thing a tactical nightmare.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

benelli m4 semi auto 12 gauge

baddest scatter gun ever.

$1600.00
edit on 3-11-2012 by bjax9er because: add

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I sent you a U2U (is it even called that here anymore? I'm so old here!)

Thank you for the video! *watching now*

Shotgun vs. carbine for under $800. I'd love for more members to weigh in on this! I don't have a lot of experience with either. Most of the carbines I've shot have been bolt-action, and borrowed at the range.

If you had up to $800, which shotgun or carbine would you buy -- and why?

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Well, I'll add this as one last thought. What not to buy, in my opinion, in that price range. Don't buy any AR- platform rifle. Not in that price range. Everyone has an opinion on this, I'm sure but let me tell you why I have mine. I thought the AR- would be great until buying one. Then I discovered, too late, what the difference was between a standard AR- and a Piston driven AR-. The piston is what $800 isn't buying. At least not at the quality which does the rifle justice.

The standard AR- design though operates by the gas blowing back against the bolt. In some way, it's how all semi-automatic weapons operate of course. The difference here is, the gas being redirected back from the end of the barrel is DIRECTLY blown back through and onto the bolt.....which blows all that crap into the receiver group as a whole. They even sell accessories to cover the trigger assembly internally to keep it somewhat clean from this designed fouling.

So the end result is...you've fouled the entire receiver group in a way few other designs manage to do, from the first round fired. I had to own one to understand why the Military treats cleaning the infernal things like a Religion. They have to...or they Jam. Early and often.
edit on 3-11-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by tjack

Could you please expand/explain more on why it's a tactical nightmare -- I'd love some more details!

Here is a pretty decent video of it being shot:

TLDR, you can take down small trees with it.

edit on 3-11-2012 by MystikMushroom because: formatting

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Great advice! I've heard that about AR's before. Your explanation goes above and beyond what I've read. Star for you.

When it comes to carbines/rifles for $800, I should look for a used AK-47 or a used .308 bolt action. I don't think in that price range I could find either.

Perhaps shotgun it is -- can anyone recommend a better, lightweight, under $800 12g than the Mossburg 500 series?

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by bjax9er

That is indeed a bad mother. Unfortunately it's outside the price range ($800) I have limited myself to.

I know that company is well respected for their quality and reliability!

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
i would go with a 357 magnum fits perfectly in your hand comftorable can hide easily if need be packs a hell of a punch works good as a blunt object if ammo runs out *pistol whipped*

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Catacomb

The colors are bad ass, the price is decent too, but i heard recoil can be problematic.

I recommend this baby, unlimited ammo when you live close to body of water and it's a beast at close range.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
1.) Shotgun's and .22s. That's all you really need. There is plenty of ammo for them everywhere. Big guns lead to "Big man" thinking which leads to a corpse.

2) You're the rabbit in a survival situation, not the fox. Remember that rule and you'll be fine.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Husband says Remington 870 instead of Mossburg 500. (Don't get 870 express. Go for the real deal.)

/husbandspeak

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Why are so many on ATS making America and ATS seem like Gun nuts?

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by buddha

Well, if you are in the minority better get with the program.

We are enthusiastic about maintaining our rights. And fondly remembering learning to safely handle guns growing up.

All the kids I grew up with could shoot shortly after they could walk. Where did you grow up?

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddha
Why are so many on ATS making America and ATS seem like Gun nuts?

quit whining.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Been begging Santa for 1 of these this christmas for home defense.
www.keltecweapons.com...
The KSG (Kel-Tec Shotgun) is Kel-Tec CNC’s first entry into the shotgun market. The size, shape, and design is similar to the currently available Kel-Tec RFB rifle, but the KSG ejects downward, instead of forward. The KSG weighs 6.9 lbs. and is as compact as legally possible with a 26.1” overall length and an 18.5” cylinder bore barrel. Even with this compact size, the internal dual tube magazines hold an impressive 12 rounds of 12 gauge 3” rounds in total (6 per tube). It can also reliably shoot shells as short as 1 3/4" up to the 3".

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Happy to weigh in here. As I actually own the Mossy 500 (Actually the mil-590A - but that platform has been redesigned into the new 500 series). I absolutely love it! There is so much aftermarket furniture that it is crazy! I agree with an earlier poster who suggested dropping the "Chainsaw" forend - it is a problematic pain in the keister! Replace instead with a Knoxx Spec-ops stock and Hogue forend and grip enhancer. You won't be sorry. The Knoxx actually reduces recoil by over 70% - which is nice when you're firing 3" magnum slugs!

What's nice about the shotty (I also own a Rmington 870 - more on that in a minute) is the versatility. From slugs to triple and double buck to small game and bird shot, this gun does many, many things in a single platform. The important thing to keep in mind is that the Mossberg 500 is an assault-style shotty with an 18.5" barrel. So it is ideal for home defense, breaching doors, urban tactical etc... You can hunt with it, but you won't have the range of traditional shotguns.

The Remington 870 can be modified with many different barrels for different purposes; large game slug barrel, chokes, long barrel for birding etc... BUT... good luck modifying back into tactical defense. You'll find the 870 is a heavier platform too. I believe both manufacturers make a fine firearm and don't participate in the Mossberg versus Remington debate. I own both for different reasons! Also, keep in mind, the US military issues the Mossberg mil 590A for field use.

Onto the AR platform. I had a Ruger mini-14 for years - GREAT varmint rifle! It only chanbered .223 though and couldn't handle NATO 5.56mm rounds. I wanted soemthing more tactical, so I sold it. Afte researching for a year, I settled on the Sig Sauer 556. Loved it! Too pricey though at $1,600 and could never get comfortable with the balance. I'm a HUGE Sig fan as I won several of their handguns; P229, P239 and P2200. As a result, I traded that out and ultimately wnet with the Sig m400 OD Green. I am in complete love with this platform!!!

It easily eats through the cheapest .223 OR 5.56 ammo! It comes complete with Magpul original equipment. Although polymer, it is a new variety that is multiple times more stable and impact resistent than some traditional polymer furniture. I have had this in extreme heat and extreme cold and have not experienced any problems with the furniture - no chips, cracking, shattering etc. The options for the AR platform are also endless.

You can buy a new SIg M400 for under $1,000 - usually on sale somehwere in the $900 range - so very close to your budget. In my opinion - you can't wrong here!

Now, let me explain WHY I have a shotty AND an AR... because they serve two completely different purposes. The shotty is for close range - well under 100 yards. The AR is for over 100 yards. In fact, with the EOTech 3X scope, I've been keeping consistent 2" clusters out to 500 yards!

So, what you need to decide first is WHY do you need this gun? Versatility can be found in a shotty. the AR, on the other hand, is a ranged rifle good for shooting at people and small game. Unless you're an expert marksman, you are not dropping a bear or a moose with an AR! That said, you're not too likely to keep a 100 yard permiter from marauders with a shotty either. So, what are your needs? THEN select a type of gun and caliber. Then determine HOW you'll use it and research the weapon's performance in that area. Finally, dress it up the way that makes you comfortable. Avoid furnishing the platform with flashy tactical nonsense (like chainsaw forends:@@
- this simply advertises that you're a novice, not a marksman.

Feel free to u2u me if you have any questions.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join