It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Occupy Sandy" puts in work were FEMA doesn't.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   

The flagpole had become a meeting place for Hurricane Sandy volunteers, and earlier Thursday, it served as a rallying center for people in the hurricane-battered neighborhood to request food, clothing and other necessities. Reed said he learned some elderly people had been stuck on higher floors of their buildings without power or running water, marooned by elevators that weren't working.

"Since then we've been walking up and down stairs, providing care packages of food and flashlights and bottled water," Reed said

"I think the key is connecting people to a tangible thing, because everyone wants to help out," McBride said. "Just telling people to go and do this. And then they'll do it."

More Occupy-organized volunteer operations have been set up in other badly damaged neighborhoods, including Sunset Park, Coney Island and the Rockaways.

Justin Wedes, an Occupy organizer, said the response from the Occupy movement has been "incredible," and Occupy Sandy groups were active in all five boroughs.

"We already have dozens of organizers working in hubs, working out of homes, mobilizing hundreds of volunteers," Wedes said. "We've worked with local community organizations, Recovers.org, and this really shows that communities do band together, reach out, and support each other."

Bunch o' lazy bums, free loading on society. GO GET A JOB YOU HIPPIE. STOP WITH THE CHARITY BS.

Thats how stupid all you anti-occupy clowns sound like to me, all the time.
You think the senior management at bank of America is down there? The oil companies giving away free gas?

www.huffingtonpost.com...

edit on Sat Nov 3 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: ADDED MANDATORY SOURCE

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ubeenhad

Glad to hear this, we need to band together as tragedy strikes. I think this worked so well because they had the social networks in place to get fast and direct help where needed. I went to Mississippi with the red cross after katrina and we had a hella time getting to areas and figuring out which areas needed help until we established networks with the locals. So good for them.

How ever a little constructive critisism, your line where you called anti occupiers stupid is the kind of thing that will continue to divide. Instead of letting the story just speak for itself now people who are anti occupy will have a negative thing to focus on. And since its an attack on them they will just use it to justify their counter attack.

It is a great story and your intentions are good. I think the execution was a little off. S&F regardless.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I occupied a girl named Sandy a couple weeks ago after both of us drinking too many Jager-Bombs. Unfortunately, this thread is not about that, which really confused me when I first read it...

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by CitizenJack

It was bait. I was looking for a fight. Feeling feisty this morning at work

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ubeenhad

Well I suppose your execution was spot on then. I can appreciate someone setting up for a match. I have to say with your article it sets up a good right jab for your argument. Best of luck sir Ill be rooting for ya.

edit on 3-11-2012 by CitizenJack because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
This is good to see, but there will be about 100 rabid Republicans in here any moment to start screaming abuse about the "loony lefties" and "commie's" any moment now.

This is what Occupy does, this is what LIBERALS do, and proud too. While the right wing are praying to an invisible sky wizard and making noises about how bad it all is, Liberals, lefties, hippies and so-called "commies" are actually out there doing something

All we need is a Republican here to add a bogus report manufactured by a right wingnut "infiltrating" and suggesting all those dirty hippies are smoking crack and having orgies in those canoes

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
The lady on the left is like, wtf that was the last Gatorade

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ubeenhad

Where's the President again? Oh yeah, campaigning in Wisconsin and Nevada.

Romney might be photo-oping, but that's real water he is handing out.
edit on 3-11-2012 by GreenGlassDoor because: Didn't mean to put in Texas.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreenGlassDoor

Originally posted by ubeenhad

Where's the President again? Oh yeah, campaigning in Wisconsin and Nevada.

Romney might be photo-oping, but that's real water he is handing out.
edit on 3-11-2012 by GreenGlassDoor because: Didn't mean to put in Texas.

yea about that, it's called grabbing votes... does he actually care, he campaigned to end FEMA right before Sandy came about, so a bs picture isn't worth much.
edit on 11/3/2012 by FoxStriker because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
double post
, might have been worth while to remind it twice lol
edit on 11/3/2012 by FoxStriker because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by FoxStriker

Wait, the title of your post is "Occupy Sandy" puts in work were FEMA doesn't., [sic], so clearly you have a position where FEMA doesn't work! Then you go on about how Romney is wrong to cut an agency that doesn't work.

Which side of the issue are you on?

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreenGlassDoor
reply to post by FoxStriker

Wait, the title of your post is "Occupy Sandy" puts in work were FEMA doesn't., [sic], so clearly you have a position where FEMA doesn't work! Then you go on about how Romney is wrong to cut an agency that doesn't work.

Which side of the issue are you on?

I think the poster is pointing out the hypocrisy of Romney - but then again, hypocrisy is something the Republican party does so well already it's not much of a surprise.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Really great to see people, like the 'Occupy' crowd, working together with the community like that, I tend to think with the direction things appear to be heading people are going to have to do that more and more as time goes by and not rely on groups like FEMA to come in and take care of them. People helping people, direct action, I think that's great, putting your time and often money where your mouth is.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

I don't follow your logic. Care to spell it out in the context of Hurricane Sandy's relief efforts?

new topics

top topics

join