It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

15 Foods you can regrow from scraps!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Eternium

How do you reseed logs once you've harvested your shrooms?

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by fnpmitchreturns

Sounds like a good list. I'm sure of the nutritional value of apples, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, pumpkin and carrots. Ginger has antibacterial properties (according to my dad who was a surgeon) and I hear garlic is awesome for lowering blood pressure. Also as far as hydration is concerned, celery is high in sodium and has a high water content so there's benefits to growing that.
I'm not sure what onions are good for other than frying up with sausage and peppers and making onion rings.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
One has to wonder why such a small percentage of the plant and trees growing in the United States are non- food bearing (unless its a farm).

Hiking through the forests of New York state, you hardly even see blueberries or raspberries. I mean, its what we want right? ..treats growing right off the tree, yet our world is barren of it.

Why is this?

We should be able to go out, and pick fruits or nuts right off the tree, or dig up edible roots, yet this is not the case.

edit on 4-11-2012 by nOraKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   

edit on 4-11-2012 by dizTheWiz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by nOraKat

For raspberries and blackberries, it is an invasive thorny vine plant. Of course you wont see them in public parks.
For other 'common' plants are probably foraged or removed et c.

There are actually quite a few uncommon edible plants all around.
Just have to know what you are looking for... Which comes down to education.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by dizTheWiz

Yeah I don't know if I trust that...

Downloaded a 2mb file that when open is entirely blank of it's 2,000 pages and constantly wants to open;

www.amazon.com... alias%3Dstripbooks

What a bum link... I was hoping to read something interesting.
edit on 4/11/2012 by Sovaka because: Edit Link

edit on 4/11/2012 by Sovaka because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Sovaka

yeah soooo sorry for that i was in the middle of downloading it when i posted....hopefully i find another link and i wont post it till i know it works :/ my bad people

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by dizTheWiz

i give up i cant find a link to the book "Dont throw it, Grow it..." if any one finds it post it up. If anything ima go to the library and scan it for you all

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Rivetlikewhoa

Actually, you don't plant them. You place them in a cup of water.

The link said to place them in a glass of water and they would keep coming back over and over.

I was just saying that really, they don't. They come back once and that is pretty much it. In my experience anyway.

I wondered what the slim was, though. Interesting to know it is root rot!

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Sovaka

Well the Native Americans went through a long process of literally sculpting New England. There are places in the wild right around civilized ares when I could find blueberries, strawberries and black or raspberries when i lived in Vermont. It's my guess that a place like central park has been cultivated at some point to eliminate things like that and that the normal flow of birds is cut off by the huge swaths of city surrounding central park since bird scat is a major reason that seeds get distributed.
Of course I haven't done the research on migratory patterns or looked up data on breeding statistics of birds in central park and those outside of the city to see if genetic material is being passed between the two groups.

I wonder what would happen if a group of people started seeding the park with berry seeds. Would there be a huge boom in rats, racoons and undesirable birds since yummy foods like that would be more plentiful?

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Thanks, this could come in handy in a SHTF scenario, we have enough food for a few months but after that we could be in trouble..

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I had a sweet potato last year that started sprouting, so I thought I'd just toss it in some dirt and see if it grew anything. A few months later I dug it up and had one small sweet potato, and felt disappointed. Well thinking that was the end of it I forgot about it. Thing was I kept seeing this vine pop up in the bed, forgot all about the potato and just kept plucking it out until about June this year when I had enough and decided to dig it up, funny thing was I had about 8 medium sized sweet potatoes in the ground. Surprised the hell out of me I thought I had gotten rid of it almost a year before.

Just goes to show they clearly don't take much to grow, I could only imagine what they would have looked like had I been watering it and fertilizing it and such.
edit on 4-11-2012 by DisplayName because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Hehe Veggies and Fruit grow more veggies and fruit?

It's good to have a reminder, but this is not surprising. Where do you think food comes from? People go get non-GMO seed survival banks from amazon, and if you had enough space to grow a garden on, you'd never have to go to a job again. You could stay home making your own food, your own clothes, everything you need to survive without ever needing a single dollar.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by vpjanitorial
Hehe Veggies and Fruit grow more veggies and fruit?

It's good to have a reminder, but this is not surprising. Where do you think food comes from? People go get non-GMO seed survival banks from amazon, and if you had enough space to grow a garden on, you'd never have to go to a job again. You could stay home making your own food, your own clothes, everything you need to survive without ever needing a single dollar.

well thats if you owned your own home and utilities.. lol

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Started my gardening ways just 2 years ago, wish it would've been 15 years ago. Small spice garden, got a blueberry bush flowering nicely, tomatoes, onions, looking for some ideas to add so liking this thread 8>D. Also been doing the sourdough bread for a while now too. Really good bread and once you get started with it you can just keep refreshing the dough portion. I've had the same starter dough rolling for quite a while now

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Hi All,

When I grew my first cloves of garlic I was so excited about the ease of it that I had made a short video of the adventure. Here it is below.

edit on 5-11-2012 by HIStory Indeed because: Edit to get video to embed properly.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by tport17

I don't think there is enough nutrition in water to give a good result! I would try starting them off in water but once you can see that they have "taken" I would transplant them into soil, alternatively you could add some liquid plant nutrients to the water, that might make a difference but I would try the water then soil route! This is just my personal opinion being a sort of plant freak!
A good book on plants of all sorts especially North American is "Back to Eden" by Jethro Kloss, old but brilliant information re edible/healing weeds/trees/shrubs!
edit on 5/11/12 by wiser3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   
r these edible/growable?

carrot, turnip, radish, BEET tops

potato 'eyes'

bird seed leftovers (from those who have pet birds/poultry)

weeds pulled from organic lawn/garden (pigweed,dandelion,clover,lambsears)

'navel' orange/grapefruit/citrus that actually have a stray seed or 2 VITAMIN C!

for those in sub/tropics mango seeds (huge) banana seeds? (tiny) papaya seeds (heard the seeds/sprouts are poisonous?) avocado (so easy)

sesame/poppy seeds from spice rack? these seem heat treated, though

what other fruits have vit C??

thx...

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by minnow

I do know that Papaya or Pawpaw seeds will only sprout after being "chilled" down to a certain temperature for a certain period of time! Not much help I know but google "can" be your friend!
The sunflower seeds in poultry feed can definitely be grown and the seed then harvested from the flower once the plant has reached maturity, they are delicious!
edit on 5/11/12 by wiser3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by wiser3

Plain old water, no where near enough nutrition.

However, if you used a highly diluted compost tea mixture with a little Seaweed extract and some rock powder.
You'd have a very nutritious liquid... My next concern would be a lack of air in the root structure.

You could always setup a mini Aquaponics bed for things like that using a standard fish tank.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join