It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the worst thing that's happened to you...?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Hello ATS and BTS, recently I've been experiencing a series of bad life events, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. That's life. Sometimes, it takes a toll on you.

Also, when you're feeling like you have no confidence, sometimes it helps to look back at the hardships you once overcame. It works for me, sometimes. You look at the worst events of your life and think "Damn, if I got through that, I can get through anything. This is nothing to me. I can make it."

So, that's why I'm asking. What's the worst thing you've ever had to overcome?

I'll go first.

Crappy childhood. An abusive stepmother and neglectful alcoholic father. Divorce. Three near death experiences, two involving cars, one involving a group of adults threatening to murder me. Countless fights in school... attending an all-black school. As a slightly nerdy, slightly alternative white girl, that was not fun. I got jumped. I got called every name in the book. I hated my life. Now, more recently, I get dragged into fights with my family fights and wars a lot. I live with my fiance and room mates, and we may or may not be getting evicted. I love my kittens, but we have to get rid of them. My fiance's mother got in a car wreck and got hurt. And, to top it off, just a day after coming home from visiting my grandmother, I learn that she died shortly after we left.

But hell, I'm just fine. I don't give up on my novels and mangas. Sure, I'm struggling, but who isn't?

I can get through anything.

Your turn.

What about you?

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Alright where do I start ?? Grew up without a father around , started drinking and drugging at 12 , full blown Alcoholic by 17 , had a child at 18 , 2 divorces , 3 more children , neglected my Kids , grandmother committed suicide and I found her , ODed a few times , 4 DUIs jail time , 4 major car wrecks numerous injuries, lost jobs , grandson drowned , that's the major stuff too many minor things like bar fights , repossessions , evictions to list !! Finally got sober 5 years ago and life is great !!

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
My mom ditched me and my dad was an alcoholic when I was a kid.

Half of what the poster said above me, minus having kids and marriages.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

I don't give up on my novels and mangas

EPIC! Lol.

Here's mine:

Born into a damaged and traumatized Northern Irish family.

Alcoholic mother.
No Father.
Younger Brother with Cleft Lip & Learning difficulties.
Managed to keep grades up enough during school to have the brain I have today - Although stress from home doomed my academic future .

By 15 I was drunk/high on the weekend - sofa surfing and dysfunctional.
By 16 I missed prom and all the normal stuff 16 year old girls want.
By 17 I was in an abusive relationship and college didn't work out.
By 18 I considered joining the British Army and left my abusive relationship.
By 19 I went back "home" and started picking up the pieces.
By 20 I left "home" and realised I can rely on NO man - Nor family.

By 21 - I'm paying for my barely acquainted fathers funeral - contemplating my mothers funeral in 2 years or less - concerned what my little bro's going to be doing with his life - planning my great escape from this country - contemplating career progression - and trying to learn to love

Aha.
edit on 3-11-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

I'm sorry for your pain. I relate in a lot of ways, but I explained mine quite well 3 or 4 threads ago......still recovering....doing better, but yes that was THE worst...I say read if you really cared, and honestly how many people really do??

This world has become so zombified......
It takes a major disaster to wake people up.... Hang in there, there is always a light at the end of the tunnel, but only if you keep your yes open!

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by rick004
Alright where do I start ?? Grew up without a father around , started drinking and drugging at 12 , full blown Alcoholic by 17 , had a child at 18 , 2 divorces , 3 more children , neglected my Kids , grandmother committed suicide and I found her , ODed a few times , 4 DUIs jail time , 4 major car wrecks numerous injuries, lost jobs , grandson drowned , that's the major stuff too many minor things like bar fights , repossessions , evictions to list !! Finally got sober 5 years ago and life is great !!

Glad to hear you got it all back on track

All of your replies make me feel like I haven't been through much at all

I suppose it doesn't matter, when you try to have a "who's had it worse" contest... because we all take suffering differently, and we all have to suffer.

BTW, Sinny, love will find you when you stop looking for it. It's God's humor... or magic... or a curse, or something.

I have the same abuse/trust issues. It sucks. It's very hard to break, but you can do it.

God bless yall

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
One of the worst feelings I've ever had was watching my best friend die slowly, with no cure of treatment possible. It killed me, made me a good 10 years more mature than my peers.

I remember we used to go out and play football and he couldn't even run so he just watched us. At times I felt like it wasn't fair for us to do things he wasn't capable of, in front of him. I knew him since I was 2!..he passed away when I was 15.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadSnow

I'm sorry, that sucks.

That's why I don't understand people who whine about things that don't matter, while other people experience stuff like that.

God bless

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Hurricane Andrew, Mitch, and Camille were my most horrible events. I was young and my first experience with dead bodies, horrible smells, and complete destruction.. loss of everything you know. Its devastating to a child, let me tell you, stocking up nd keeping it in your home does squat when you have bad surge. In parts we had 8-12 ft storm surge.. it shoved people and debris in a pile against fences, viaducts, etc.. death was everywhere. I think it made me a little "off: as well... Im a paranoid type of prepper now and cant STAND to be at anyones mercy as far as that goes.. as I know first hand, no one will REALLY help you. Thank God my dad was a prepper and intelligent. He knew HE was responsible for us and no one else. He had moved from Montana to Louisiana due to the construction boom.. got into that, brought down a few relatives to work. We were a little group of people and all eachother had.
Tornado we were in that hit in Mississippi wiped the town off the map. Freak storm, freak tornado.. my dad shoved me in a cooler in a store and almost died trying to get to some morons who were just standing there. I stayed in the cooler for almost 12 hrs until we were dug out. I got over any claustrophobic tendencies I ever had in those hours and my bladder must be the size of a camels. LOL!
Housefire during one much smaller hurricane in NO... it burnt to the ground, everything, all pets, complete burn out... PJs on our backs sort of thing.. even melted parts on the car our front. It started in the neighbors house.. where my friend lived.. and them roasting alive was when we got out and when the trucks came. Homes in downtown new orleans are very close.. one fire can burn a block. My other family was down Dumaine st a ways and we stayed there.. watching everything we had go up in smoke an know our friends were dead in their house somewhere.

I got a masters from Ole Miss in a field I loved, found I couldnt make good money so got a nursing degree on the side. Learned that emergency medicine was higher paying, so went for different certs as well. Back then there was a nursing crisis and you put your resume out and hospitals will give you a signing bonus and pay your relocation if you sign an employment contract. WAY before unions and all of that.No internet to see what the area was like.. or info like you have now with hurricanes and etc. Well.. I got a fat bonus and great package from a large inner city level 1 trauma hospital for the emergency dept. That was STRESSFUL.. and within my first year there, a hurricane .. I dont recall which now.. came through. I was young, no husband or kids.. I took a girls shift and stayed.. she evacuated with her kids and husband. Must have been young and idealistic.. or stupid. Anyway, Ive never SEEN anything like that. OMG.. the word horror. it was a true horror.

I moved from the Gulf area, left my family, made a life.. invited them up.. got married.. traveled.. watched the weather and found ATS. I settle here in Il after my husbands transfer... blam.. freak ice storm and power out for a week and several in other spots. It was pandemonium yet, I actually felt much more safe!

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Being tortured at the hands of brutal correctional officers for 6 months in solitary confinement. The epic climax with me being strapped to a restraint chair naked and pepper sprayed in my lower regions. Americah hates freedom. tryin to defend myself from being punched repeatedly in the face has its consequences...

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by nrd101

And what did you do to get yourself thrown into a correctional facility?

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Wow... cudos to you for rising from the ashes of those messes.

I'm sorry crap was crazy for ya. Glad you're on top now

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by nrd101

You're right. America hates freedom.

I'm sorry you live here.

I'm kind of sorry I live here too...

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Go live in the sudan for awhile and report back and tell me how you like it.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Why don't You tell us about your experience in the Sudan or the hardships that You faced before passing judgement on us all !!

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
The first time I have done this, maybe the internet anonymity is the reason why I feel I can say it, the only other person I have said this too is the shrink. When I was around 7 or 8 years old, and older relative repeatedly over time forced me to perform sexual acts on them. I never told anybody and never tend to ever think about it, I never reported them and just got on with my life. There I said it.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by rick004

My hardships rival everyone's on this thread and then some. I don't need to constantly mire myself in it or find compatibility to make myself feel better. The ones who need to know, know.

You don't meet many people from the Sudan, do you?

Because the government doesn't allow people to leave. The government doesn't even allow the women to report rape, though about 80% of the female population has been raped and abused.

The Sudanese government won't let the papers report any atrocities, and will not let the UN or other organizations into the country to document them.

Canada, the US, and the UK are trying to get into Sudan for rescue efforts because rebel forces are once again terrotizing and brutalzing the citizens.

So when your government allows rebel forces to come into your village, kill your father in front of you, and force you to rape your mother afterwards, and you are not allowed to tell a soul....

THEN,

you can say that you don't have any freedoms.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

They say that we're only as sick as our secrets ! I kept everything bottled up inside me and it almost killed me ! That was a terrible thing that You had to live through !! No child should have to live through that ! I hope that You have come to terms with it and realize that You were not to blame ! I wish You all the best !

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

Go live in the sudan for awhile and report back and tell me how you like it.

No doubt! Id take this place over many others Ive been to personally or read about!!

The thing is , no offense OP, its not rising from ashes.. its life.If youve gotten to almost 50 and havent had some experiences... you must live under a rock or something.LOL! You have to love life, where you are, work to change things when needed, and love those around you.. and see life experiences are WHO we are and where we are.

Oh and Nixie.. cheer up you grump. I havent spoken to you in ages. If you arent in a more deliriously giddy frame of mind by this evening I WILL write a series of limericks concerning Grumpy and mean old Nixie Nox, who's a hell of a person and smart as a fox, yet her ears sometimes need a good box.. etc for the poetry contest. really juvenile stuff.. you dont want that.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by rick004

I don't think I have ever felt I have had anything to come to terms with, it has just been locked up in a box all of my life in my head, it barely ever gets a thought. I realize that it has probably caused certain issues for me that are still here now, like trust issues and relationship issues. But I have just got on with it. I'm still alive aren't I

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join