War of the Worlds Scares the crap out of me! Chicago SkyWay Similar?

page: 1
2

log in

join

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
The movie War of the Worlds is another great movie by Spielberg, and besides Star Wars (the originals) this is my favorite Sci-Fi movie by far. If I see it on T.V. I must watch it, I am drawn to its concept of madness and worse-case-scenario if contact should ever happen between us and another group of people or alienish looking beings from far away.

I am always left astonished at what I just saw-the bridge flying through the air is creepy as hell, and that looks just like a neighborhood under the SkyWay in Chicago.


from: www.google.com...:&imgrefurl=http://ww w.wired.com/cars/coolwheels/news/2009/03/infrastructure0323%3FcurrentPage%3Dall&docid=8-RI7Z87vRuYKM&imgurl=http://www.wired.com/images/index/2009/03/ ChicagoSkyway.jpg&w=660&h=380&ei=pyuVUM24K-S-yQHr5YGwCQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=442&vpy=165&dur=1358&hovh=170&hovw=296&tx=210&ty=61&sig=1005994897783383060 08&page=1&tbnh=141&tbnw=263&start=0&ndsp=23&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0,i:74

And

from: en.wikipedia.org...:318306pr_Chicago_Skyway_loc.jpg

And:

from: www.flickr.com...

Finally this:

from: www.newcommunities.org...

Every time I see that bridge that is what I think about. I used to work right down the street of it, and the size of it is both intimidating and overwhelming. I couldn't imagine seeing this thing come down.

The whole concept behind the movie is down right scary, however I would think an advanced race that is capable of shooting themselves here with lightning probably took atmospheric conditions into account as well as bacteria and germ counts? I know it's just a movie...




posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
if that film scares the crap outta you,
what you like when you watch 'the omen' or some good horror film?



posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I haven't seen the movie, but I can tell you that a good part of the movie was filmed on Staten Island, NY. I was contacted by the film company prior to shooting. They were looking for extras with bicycles to be part of some scenes. I was president of the local cycling club and they asked if we would be interested in participating. I did not, but quite a few club members did go to the shooting and I think can be seen in the film.

The bridge in this youtube clip is the Bayonne Bridge, which connects Staten Island and Bayonne, New Jersey. I don't know if this is the only bridge scene in the movie, so the one you cited may also be a part of the film as well, but Staten Island has four bridges - three to NJ and one to Brooklyn.

Bayonne Bridge

Edit: that is the Jersey side of the bridge.




Originally posted by samlf3rd
The movie War of the Worlds is another great movie by Spielberg, and besides Star Wars (the originals) this is my favorite Sci-Fi movie by far. If I see it on T.V. I must watch it, I am drawn to its concept of madness and worse-case-scenario if contact should ever happen between us and another group of people or alienish looking beings from far away.

I am always left astonished at what I just saw-the bridge flying through the air is creepy as hell, and that looks just like a neighborhood under the SkyWay in Chicago.


from: www.google.com...:&imgrefurl=http://ww w.wired.com/cars/coolwheels/news/2009/03/infrastructure0323%3FcurrentPage%3Dall&docid=8-RI7Z87vRuYKM&imgurl=http://www.wired.com/images/index/2009/03/ ChicagoSkyway.jpg&w=660&h=380&ei=pyuVUM24K-S-yQHr5YGwCQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=442&vpy=165&dur=1358&hovh=170&hovw=296&tx=210&ty=61&sig=1005994897783383060 08&page=1&tbnh=141&tbnw=263&start=0&ndsp=23&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0,i:74

And

from: en.wikipedia.org...:318306pr_Chicago_Skyway_loc.jpg

And:

from: www.flickr.com...

Finally this:

from: www.newcommunities.org...

Every time I see that bridge that is what I think about. I used to work right down the street of it, and the size of it is both intimidating and overwhelming. I couldn't imagine seeing this thing come down.

The whole concept behind the movie is down right scary, however I would think an advanced race that is capable of shooting themselves here with lightning probably took atmospheric conditions into account as well as bacteria and germ counts? I know it's just a movie...
edit on 3-11-2012 by Bilk22 because: (no reason given)
edit on 3-11-2012 by Bilk22 because: (no reason given)
edit on 3-11-2012 by Bilk22 because: (no reason given)
edit on 3-11-2012 by Bilk22 because: (no reason given)
edit on 3-11-2012 by Bilk22 because: (no reason given)



posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Personally, I thought Spielberg's remake was lackluster compared to the original. But nevertheless, the effects were grand, can't fault him there.




posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
Personally, I thought Spielberg's remake was lackluster compared to the original. But nevertheless, the effects were grand, can't fault him there.



Much prefer the book, to be honest. That's the original, as far as I'm concerned. No American bridges flying through the air there either.



posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by samlf3rd
 


I'm sorry but honest question:

What is this thread about? Your fears based on a Hollywood movie based off of a book that didn't include your fears?



posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
reply to post by samlf3rd
 


I'm sorry but honest question:

What is this thread about? Your fears based on a Hollywood movie based off of a book that didn't include your fears?


I think it's more 'I live near a bridge that looks like one that was destroyed in a movie I like'.

Eventually Hollywood will make enough American-themed disaster films, no American will ever feel left out when it comes to seeing their actual neighbourhood ruined in a film. Maybe someone should make an app for GoogleMaps that does it especially, possibly with the giant Kitten from the Goodies. Maybe the next President should start a governmental programme called 'No Neighbourhood Left Behind' or something.



posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
reply to post by samlf3rd
 


I'm sorry but honest question:

What is this thread about? Your fears based on a Hollywood movie based off of a book that didn't include your fears?


My fear (which you missed) is the concept of such a dramatic and scary worse-case-scenario if we ever did meet aliens. I always think that it would be peaceful-I have never looked at it like this.



posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by samlf3rd

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
reply to post by samlf3rd
 


I'm sorry but honest question:

What is this thread about? Your fears based on a Hollywood movie based off of a book that didn't include your fears?


My fear (which you missed) is the concept of such a dramatic and scary worse-case-scenario if we ever did meet aliens. I always think that it would be peaceful-I have never looked at it like this.


That's quite an interesting and odd position to take. 99.9% of all sci-fi stories are dystopian when it comes to alien contact. Aliens are nearly always portrayed as the threat in fiction whether it's books, films, TV or even comics. Stories like ET, Close Encounters III Kind or Flight of the Navigator are the exceptions to this rule. I'm genuinely intrigued as to how you reached adulthood without being informed by this kind of view at all and and was so entrenched in the view that contact would be benevolent that you've been shook by the idea that it could possibly be a destructive catastrophe for Americans.



posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Minority Report and War of the Worlds were two decent Spielberg movies. Not all Spielberg movies are decent. They also had Tom Cruise at his best, or I thought so (and maybe I still do).

When I first watched this movie I thought it would be lame like most movies. But something in the eyes of Tom Cruise told me it was going to try to be somewhat serious. I liked it.

For an example of a sucky "modern" just watch 2012 and learn to hate "modern". There's so much trash out there, especially in made for tv movies. Only a small fraction is worth watching.

But what does it matter? I don' watch TV anyway. I'm not a big movie fan either.
edit on 7-11-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)



posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir
 

What about aliens that just don't care? Or maybe they kill us by accident while driving by in their supership. The movies make a presumption that we humans are worth hunting down and killing.

The other thing is the aliens always lose. Meh. But this is pointless because anybody can pick apart films. I can pick apart the best movies I've seen if I want to. Any story or movie can be.

I don't fault him for thinking aliens might be friendly. I wonder if he's ever seen that twilight zone episode where the aliens come and offer us a new life and things don't turn out that way.

The name of it's To Serve Man:
en.wikipedia.org - To Serve Man (The Twilight Zone)...
edit on 7-11-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)



posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Accurate locations don't make a great film. The original classic is the true masterpiece, not the crap Hollywood remake.



posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by SecretKnowledge
if that film scares the crap outta you,
what you like when you watch 'the omen' or some good horror film?


Hey man...I love a great horror...but when those tripods raised out of the ground and made that horrific sound the first thing I thought to myself was; that if that was for real I would just drop dead of a heart attack.





top topics
 
2

log in

join