It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chrome and over 1 GB of RAM

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
The last couple of days, i am having some speed issues with my computer. My hard disk is paging, because i have only 2 GB of RAM.
So i just checked out my task-manager to find out what is put in my RAM and i found Chrome, nearly 1,5 GB.
I have one window with a chat and one window with 2-3 tabs open all the time.

Has anybody a hint how i can reduce the big portion of chrome in my RAM ?

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   

reply to post by icepack

Yea, swap to firefox
Chrome uses a load of RAM on my laptop too, not as much but about a gig.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Have you restarted Chrome?

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by AmberLeaf

reply to post by icepack

Yea, swap to firefox
Chrome uses a load of RAM on my laptop too, not as much but about a gig.

It shouldn't. I wouldn't jump straight to swapping browsers, Chrome is a lot better.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by AmberLeaf

i used firefox all the time and switched to chrome because of other annoying problems.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

no, but one hour later, it would be the same problem, i guess. i will try, thank you.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by icepack

no, but one hour later, it would be the same problem, i guess. i will try, thank you.

Make sure the process has closed before you re-open it.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   

The last couple of days, i am having some speed issues with my computer. My hard disk is paging, because i have only 2 GB of RAM.
So i just checked out my task-manager to find out what is put in my RAM and i found Chrome, nearly 1,5 GB.
I have one window with a chat and one window with 2-3 tabs open all the time.

While I don't have speed issues, I get constant reminders from AVG about the heavy usage by Chrome.
I'm only using Chrome lately, since this new ATS system doesn't work properly, (new topics, and firehouse pages) in AOL's browser any more. It was fine before. Maybe Chrome is heavier if you set it as the default browser, I haven't done that. Just a thought.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
It may be because you have a crap load of plugins installed. Chrome runs each plugin as a separate process, so that if one or more plugins crashes the browser doesn't crash. If you open up task manager you'll probably see dozens of processes related to Chrome.

But Firefox is better. Despite what anyone claims Firefox is the best browser, in terms of usability and functionality. However Chrome has the best HTML5 support out of all the browsers... but in all honestly Firefox has more than enough HTML5 support and I think Chrome is simply being rushed. Firefox has existed for a hell of a lot longer than Chrome.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

Did.. you.. say.. AOL?

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
If restarting doesn't work, go to the menu > View background pages, you'll be able to see which page(s) or extension(s) are using up a lot of memory. If you have extensions then one of them might be the problem.
edit on 3-11-2012 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I think Chrome pre loads all the pages that are linked from the one you are looking at so when you click on any of the links they load faster.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog
reply to post by smurfy

Did.. you.. say.. AOL?

lol that's what I was wondering. I didn't think there was such a thing as an AOL browser anymore.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
I think Chrome pre loads all the pages that are linked from the one you are looking at so when you click on any of the links they load faster.

Yes that's also true, and probably playing a role in the problem. I think you can disable that function in the options.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   

I dont use chrome but if what you say is true I never will (I pay by the gig),thanks for that.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

yes, there are 11 chrome.exe running. lol. i have two windows open and the RAM stays at about 900 MB. i will keep it this way, my system is running ok.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   

go to the menu > View background pages

in task-manager or chrome ?

link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk

I dont use chrome but if what you say is true I never will (I pay by the gig),thanks for that.

It's not true.

link   

go to the menu > View background pages

in task-manager or chrome ?

Chrome, the menu icon in the top right corner.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Chrome Support Article: Make webpages load faster (prerendering)

It also tells you how to adjust the setting:

1. Click the Chrome menu on the browser toolbar.
2. Select Settings > click Show advanced settings.
3. In the "Privacy" section, use the "Predict network actions to improve page load performance" checkbox to enable or disable the feature.
edit on 3/11/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join