It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just a rant on a few points that annoy me.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   
I have a few things that annoy me that I'd like to write about today, mostly they're generalizations or just proof that people don't think before they speak.

1. All Christians are Homophobes. This one bothers me, as I know several devout Christians who have nothing bad to say about anyone. Take for example, my mother. She is a very devout woman, but she is also intelligent enough to make her own decisions on things. She has no problems with gays and I've never heard her say anything about how gays are going to hell. She lives on the words of Christ such as "Love thy neighbor as thyself" and "In all things, do ye unto others as you would have them do unto you." The majority of Christians I know live the same way. Sure you have the "God hates fags" crowd, but I dismiss them as ignorant, just as someone in the Ku Klux Klan or a Jihadist is ignorant, or insane for that matter.

2. Christians thing the world is 5,000 years old. This one is a little more true than the first, but I don't like to group all of them into the same thought. Sure, a lot of them do think that out of ignorance. Here's how I think of this, as I am only a human, and not a very well educated one at that. At best, I am agnostic, mostly because I'm not going to say that there wasn't some intelligent design, at least as far as the evolution of Humans, be it God, or Allah, or the Ancient Alien Theory, I don't personally know. It could be a great set of galactic coincidences that created Earth, and sentient beings. Honestly, from what I've learned, that is completely possible, however I won't say that there couldn't be some sort of Intelligent design involved, which I personally tend to think that our evolution could have been at least helped along by means of genetic manipulation by an advanced society. Anyway, back on topic. My parents are uneducated people, however, they're both intelligent people who can think for theirselves. Neither of them believe that the Bible is infallable, but they do believe several things from it, as do I, to an extent. Neither of them believe that the earth is 5,000 years old or that dinosaur bones are a test of faith. It says in the Bible (and this isn't verbatim, but it is in there) that in heaven, each day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years is as a day. What I take from that is that God is outside of time, therefore time isn't relative to him (or her, or it). So, the whole Earth was created in 7 days, to me, doesn't mean days as we see them, as far as we know, a hundred billion years could be like a week to God, so there is nothing saying that the Earth is only 5,000 years old.

3. Aliens don't exist because they aren't mentioned in the Bible. This one always makes me laugh. Here is what i say: Either God didn't mention them to the various men who wrote the Bible because he didn't find it necessary, or that the beings that created us didn't want to explain theirselves as other non-divine beings because we wouldn't serve them if we knew, or third, that the entire Bible is just primitive people that were just trying to explain things that they didn't understand. Honestly, I believe the third option, but that's neither here or there.

4. People who say "I don't want to take the chance that it's not real and then find out that it was and end up in Hell." Out of all the religions in the world, who says that your's is the correct one, if any of them are correct. Christianity is divided up through so many different denominations, most of them only varying slightly. Why don't we just take the good advice and take the rest as a good story. Who can argue with most of the teachings of Jesus, and what I mean by that is such teachings as the golden rule, or blessed are the meek.

5. All those abductees are liers. Aliens don't visit our planet, if they did, they're land on the field at the Super Bowl or World cup or something, not in bum# Montana where there are only a handfull of witnesses. First, most abductees are probably lieing. However, to say that they all are is rather narrow minded. As infinite as the universe is, it's possible that there is another race that developed elsewhere that has perfected space travel, and they are going around, studying different species throughout the universe. We capture animals, we study them, and we release them back into the wild. So why wouldn't another advanced race do the same with us? And as to why Aliens don't reveal themselves in the middle of a large group of people is the same reason that we try to slowly reveal ourselves and our technologies to more primitive peoples in the remote areas of the world. If we suddenly showed up with our computers and guns and other things, then they would most likely worship us as gods. It's already happened before during WWII. Considering the weapons we have, and the level of conciousness that we have reached as a species. If Aliens landed at the U.N. headquarters on national television, there are three things that would happen. A: A large section of the world would go into mass hysteria most likely causing us to attack them. B: Some people would be convinced that they were gods and begin to worship them. C: Some people would be excited and hound them for information and things to cause our advancement. If they are Scientists, then they will want to study us covertly so that they wouldn't effect our development very much.

6. This political party is right because I agree with them on this non-issue. Most, if not all, politicians do not care about you. All they want is your vote. Now, I can't say that all of them are like that, because I like to believe that at least some people are decent and do wish to work for the greater good. However, arguing about Mitt Romney vs. President Obama is a waste of time. If either of them were honest and sincere, they wouldn't have made it as far as they have because the ones who pay for their campaigns only want their issues to be dealt with. This is why most of the debates of this election are about Equal Rights, or Abortion. Granted, both are important issues. However, If they really cared about everybody as a whole, Mitt Romney would bring up MDAA and the expansion of the Patriot act more, that would get votes, as would either candidate bringing up GMO foods. The lesser issues get blown out of proportion to draw your attention from the real issues, it's all sleight of hand.

7. Prayer is fake and it's all lies. This is just not true. People have been healed by prayer when all else fails. However, I don't know that it's God. It could be, however, it could also be placebo effect or humans activating a dormant part of the brain. The point is that nobody knows for certain, and as infinite as the universe is with it's infinite number of possibilities you can't just deny a possibility just because you don't think that it's right.

So, in the end, most of the time, you can't speak in certainties. Some things are certain, as far as we know, like evolution, gravity, physics, death and taxes. So, lets all just try to be a bit more accepting of everybody else and lets all strive to find the truth for ourselves. Remember, the ATS motto is Defy Ignorance, and ignorance is literally not knowing something. So let us all strive to find the truth, and lets just be a bit nicer to eachother as we all try to find the truth.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by dave_welch

I really like your views. In fact, I'd go as far to say I have almost the exact ones.

I really like that you explain that you can't state something as a fact when it's a variable. I say that a lot, and no one seems to get it.

My friends and I might have a debate, arguing about stuff... and I'll tell them, "You can't say something like that
about Jews, cause they aren't all just evil just because you don't like them and agree with them."

Some people don't understand the concept of thinking outside of generalizations.

God, that annoys me.

God bless, S&F

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Thanks! I really just want people to keep an open mind. At the end of the day, are we not all human? Do we all not belong to the same planet?

new topics

join