It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Becoming What We Once Opposed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   
It is a popular theme in the arts - the story of an individual who at the start shows strong opposition to some idea, lifestyle or cause and by the end becomes the embodiment of what they previously opposed. Often, this is the fate that meets the 'tragic hero' of the story. Sometimes the outcome is positive, sometimes negative. The character may not be likeable or praiseworthy, but their appeal and popularity cannot be denied. The journey they take and the transformation they undergo makes for compelling writing; they are strong, genuine characters that the audience can relate to. In addition, much of recorded history is filled with examples of these types of figures which adds to the realism.

But what is it specifically about this concept that is so intriguing to the creators of art and the audiences that experience it? I believe it is because this concept of "becoming what we once opposed" allows for the creators of art to explore the complexities and intricacies of the human psych. We can all relate to the feelings of conflict that arise within us when undergoing an experience that challenges our concrete beliefs. Denial, suppression, repression or projection might be one of our responses. Rarely do we want to face the conflict head on and we prefer to distance ourselves from it for as long as we can.

Why do you believe this theme is so popular in the arts and real life?

edit on 3/11/2012 by Dark Ghost because: changed title, altered paragraphs

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
what is it specifically about this concept that is so intriguing to the creators of art and the audiences that experience it? I believe it is because this concept of "becoming what we once opposed" allows for the creators of art to explore the complexities and intricacies of the human psych. We can all relate to the feelings of conflict that arise within us when undergoing an experience that challenges our concrete beliefs. Denial, suppression, repression or projection might be one of our responses. Rarely do we want to face the conflict head on and we prefer to distance ourselves from it for as long as we can.

Why do you believe this theme is so popular in the arts and real life?

This is what I consider an incredible post. Fear is the thing that seems to drive our consciousness in society, in communication, in perception. I don't know how I can have fear of self expression, yet I don't know how the mind came into existence. So how can I portray my art without the slightest amount of fear? I assume that it is a learning process and can be done with simple guidelines. Surely following the guidelines of expression without fear and learning the boundaries would mean that we are opposing the ego because our ego is what we have learned from society, as we can see that it's more of a narrow laned perception compared to the collective consciousness of art.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
The "arts" as it were more often than not want to draw from some sort of redemptive quality of crossing over, an awakening, to the "truth" of what was once opposed. Or even opposing what we once supported. But always it the theme of a complete turn around, tossing the baby out with the bath water, rather than to an ajustment by degrees.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Well, I think part of the draw is that it is a fundamental part of life, a sort of mechanism that exists in our psyche, that we tend to ignore when deeply invested in things, but if we could keep it in the forefront of consciousness, much suffering could be avoided!

If we could just remember that focusing intensely with strong emotion on a thing will make us become it, perhaps we could choose not to do that with things we do not wish to experience....

But there is the other thing,
That line we draw, between desireable and undesireable,
good and bad,
right and wrong,
is the line of "self"

and when we step over that line, we break out of our own perception and experience "other".
A petit mort, the ego fears it, but the soul celebrates it,
for these are the moments of Oneness and truth

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesma

and when we step over that line, we break out of our own perception and experience "other".
A petit mort, the ego fears it, but the soul celebrates it,
for these are the moments of Oneness and truth

People are strange when you'er a stranger.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I believe that we sometimes become what we strongly oppose because of our mental preoccupation with it. We become what we focus on. Hence kids becoming like the parents they rebelled against. Its the Pendulum swinging the other way.

new topics

top topics

join