It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can we change our outward appearance?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 03:10 AM
link   
I know this might sound kinda goofy, but after reading this board I've come to realize that most anything is worth thinking about. I'm wondering if anyone thinks that we can change our outward appearance simply by thinking or wanting it. Obviously an overweight person isn't going to lose weight merely by thinking about it, but when I was growing up, I always thought facial hair was really cool (yea, I'm a dork). Anyways, in my family, the guys don't really thick beards and both my older brother and cousin never really grew thick facial hair. I, on the other hand, was able to grow pretty decent facial hair ever since i was about 16 or 17. I personally think it was coincedence, but it's late here and I'm bored and curious to see if there is anyone else out there with a similar experience.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 03:59 AM
link   
its all genetic of course, you probably have some dominant genes from a hairier ancestor of your family. As for me it took two long years of dieting at a 1000 cal. per day to lose 114 lbs, the minute I went off the diet I gained it all back. If there is a next life I will be looking for a skinnier ancestor's genetics.

[edit on 20-10-2004 by goose]

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 05:25 AM
link   
collegeguy15, i think it would depend also on whether the physical trait is caused by a behavioral trait. for instance, if you are overweight and it as a result of lifestyle and not the normal genetic factors for weight, then thinking and wanting to lose weight could subconsciously cause you to change the behaviour that is causing that physical aspect.
Could work for getting stronger, or being more outgoing etc.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 07:21 PM
link   
When i was a young boy age 2-5 my hair was light blond,and my eyes were blue.Then from about 6-14 my eyes turned green and my hair brown.My family was purplexed by this change...And the strange part is that now,,im 25 and ever since i was 19 my hair changed to a medium blond/with some really light blond hair mixed in.My eyes have changed to an amasing green,,very translucent and light green/almost looking blue-green at times.Every family member, and every one i show my pictures to cannot believe the changes ive went through,its rather amasing...
Countless people say that every 5 years or so i look completly diffrent,ive never touched my hair with dye,,and i have "natural" eyes,,no contacts etc...It amazes everyone that knows me..

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I know quite a few ugly people with ugly personalities, and some beautiful people with beautiful personalities, but its obviously not always that way, theres quite a few ugly people with beautiful personalites and vice versa.

I wish my hairline wasnt slightly receding, hopefully that will work

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by krackel
I know quite a few ugly people with ugly personalities, and some beautiful people with beautiful personalities, but its obviously not always that way, theres quite a few ugly people with beautiful personalites and vice versa.

Problem is that beautiful people with ugly personalities receives a lot more tolerance and patience than the ugly/ugly person. And the ugly person has a hard time convincing the world of his beautiful personality.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Did you actually think you were gonna grow facial hair? The placebo effect is very real. To a certain extent of course.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Funny as it may sound-to some degree we can change ourr appearance to others.

How is that possible? Take for example a shy,loly depressed person. They will tend to walk slumped over, head down, eyes down.

Now take that same person and have them stand up straight, head up and eyes forward. The person now projects confidence and happiness.

This may not be exactly what the auther had in mind, but I have noticed it.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   
but that's not to negate other self improvement if that is what you're seeing. I agree that a person should not feel there's something wrong with being yourself. If however you wish to condition the body to your liking, that's possible. There are health benefits to diet, exercise and changing the way you look to make you smile. After checking into a few things, I found Kung-Fu (Wushu) and Yoga work best for me for energy, endurance, and flexibility. Diet-wise by cutting saturated fats and unruly portions. Other changes were superficial like a spiked collar, dragon shirts, blue hair, yadda yadda. Attitude is a big change and can be the cause or effect for other changes. In any case I'm a fan of seeking to better myself everyday not because I like the mirror, but so I can feel good and be confident enough to concentrate on helping others.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Hey.

First off, virtual kudos to whoever was clever enough to come up with "Genes do come true"--it made me chuckle.

Allright, now for a real contribution: my dad hit puberty when he was a senior in high school (ha, I laugh at him for that), so as a little boy, I was worried that I wouldn't hit puberty until my hairline receeded (ironically, I later learned that your hairline starts to receed at puberty, go figure.). Anyway, when I was in 7th grade, and 12 years old I really wanted to hit puberty. looking back, puberty sucked--why I would want it to come sooner is a mystery.

Anyway, I did hit puberty. When 12. Wierd, huh?

Maybe this has no relation, but I thought I'd share...feel free to tell me what an idiot I am.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I think it could have some type of relation. I havent read too much about it, so I cant say with confidence. However, we were talking about these type of things in my brainstudies class a couple of nights ago, and most people die at the age their parents do, or when they think they'll die. It may not sound like much, but I find it extremely interesting, for instance, how someone will negativly think they wont make it past 30, and then how they subconcisouly actually make sure they WONT make it past 30. Like drive wreckless etc. We talked about too much that night, I dont remember it all, fun class.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Hey all, thanks for your replies. Alec, I don't think I ever thought that i would grow facial hair, all I remember is that i wanted to. I dunno, I do tend to think it is all genetics, but I've always kind of wondered. Now I'll start really wanting and thinking about getting a hot girlfriend. See if it works, haha.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 11:11 PM
link   
haha, well a hot girlfriend would be nice, too. Yeah, it sounds like genetics had a lot to do without it, but I think that possibly a type of placebo effect aided it in some minor way.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by EyesOfTheFuture

Originally posted by krackel

Problem is that beautiful people with ugly personalities receives a lot more tolerance and patience than the ugly/ugly person. And the ugly person has a hard time convincing the world of his beautiful personality.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by collegeguy15
I know this might sound kinda goofy, but after reading this board I've come to realize that most anything is worth thinking about. I'm wondering if anyone thinks that we can change our outward appearance simply by thinking or wanting it. Obviously an overweight person isn't going to lose weight merely by thinking about it, but when I was growing up, I always thought facial hair was really cool (yea, I'm a dork). Anyways, in my family, the guys don't really thick beards and both my older brother and cousin never really grew thick facial hair. I, on the other hand, was able to grow pretty decent facial hair ever since i was about 16 or 17. I personally think it was coincedence, but it's late here and I'm bored and curious to see if there is anyone else out there with a similar experience.

Not goofy at all.
I don't know the correct terms, maybe someone has already posted a reply or can ad in here (I'm real bad about not reading the entire thread before talking). Some kind of 'perfect self' - an asterial kind of thing, or energy thing. Anyway - doig energy work, the ways of thinking and a form of hypnosis I guess you'd say, yes - it's possible.
I do it myself and will continue.
Remember George Burns? Little old man - just a cute as could be. Little funny guy, always smileing, smoking a cigar and drinking his wiskey? He always (ALWAYS) said he'd live to be 101. Guess how old he was when he die? Yep. 101.
How many people have you heard about that feel great till a check up. They are told they have canser - then they are sick and they die. Do they die because of the canser? For the most part - no. They expected to die and they did.
How many women have you seen that seem sexy and strong natured and with self esteem....then you really look and notice (as an after thought), that, wow - she's not 'really' what sociaty lables sexy. Wonder how she pulled that off? She thinks she's sexy therefor she is.

See what I mean?

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by AngelaLadyS
How many people have you heard about that feel great till a check up. They are told they have canser - then they are sick and they die. Do they die because of the canser? For the most part - no. They expected to die and they did.

Hmm. It made me think, when was the last time I went for a checkup? I don't remember exactly, some years. My mom is always bugging me to go for reg checkups. Hey, if it ain't broke it don't need fixing is my motto.

As for change in appearance, that happens alot in my dreams or AP. This is without any intentional effort on my part. Usually they're not major changes. The hair may be different, I'm taller or shorter, the eyes a different color etc.

One other thing. I expect to live to at least 100 years of age but not feel or look it.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Questor

One other thing. I expect to live to at least 100 years of age but not feel or look it.

Ditto!

top topics

join