It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My teenage daughter

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Guess why my sisters and I were well behaved for the most part?

Because we got our arses beat and all our # taken away!

WTF happened in 20 years...

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ConspiracyBuff

Department of child services!

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

LOL sure.

When someone has a new baby, my mum always tells them: remember, you gave birth to a teenager.

There is a favorite line from the tv show, Maude. Maude had a fight with her daughter. She stops and looks at her daughter and says:
"To think I skipped medication to hurry the labor because I wanted to see you sooner"

LMAO

I don't have a teenager yet. But every parent tells me it IS the hardest stage of childhood to deal with.

It is nature's way of helping you let go when they are ready to leave the nest. If you don't like them, it is easier.

I am going to have the opposite problem. My son started schwooning cute checkout girls at 18 months. Whereever I take him to play, he will find the cute girl to make friends with.

Other parents already say: you are going to have to put a chastity belt on him.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

I raised two daughters that are two years apart, so I sympathize. That being said- stick to your guns! Teenaged girls are masters of manipulation and skilled at the art of "skirting the truth" without actually bald faced lying. They will change tactics on you in a heartbeat, and will enlist their friends for advice on what has worked for them to get what they want from their parents. They will try playing mom and dad against each other, and when you tell them they can't do something whatever you do don't then allow them to go spend the night at a friend's house- that's code for: my friend's parents will let us go!

When you decide against allowing her something stick to your guns, no matter the tantrums or sobbing. This is a time of testing- what works to get Dad to give in to her demands. She will do her best to change your mind by appealing to your emotions and sometimes even your logic. If you are consistent and stick to your guns she will learn to chooses her battles wisely instead of making ever single disagreement into a melodrama.

Don't let her go out with the 19 year old friend- she already lied about the girl's age. That is a sure sign that something is not on the up and up. My guess would be it's boy related, but that's just a guess.

Choose your battles wisely as well. If she does all her chores and makes good grades let her have some fun, but make sure it's with kids her own age. Older female friends= being around older boys! Above all, let her know you love her and she has plenty of time to grow up but should cherish the time she has now and not be in such a big hurry. One day she will thank you.

Keep the lines of communication open and let her know that every decision you make concerning her is out of love. Good luck to you!

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiracyBuff
Guess why my sisters and I were well behaved for the most part?

Because we got our arses beat and all our # taken away!

WTF happened in 20 years...

Yea well.. I got hit when I was a kid too and it did not deter me from doing what I wanted to do.
I am old fashioned in a sense but I refused to inflict pain on either one of my kids, period and I let all their relatives
on both sides of the family know that they would not either.

Well you can always take iron maidens advice. Bring your daughter, bring your daughter to the slaughter Let her go, let her go, let her go Bring your daughter, bring your daughter to the slaughter Let her go, let her go, let her go Let her go, yeah!

And wtf is that dude? that post should be deleted by a mod.. seriously
edit on 11/3/2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ConspiracyBuff

My child is the best child in the class and I have never, laid a hand on him.

Emotional Intelligence goes a long way.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
You are You .. and your children are completely different entity.

Sure you want the best for them . but they have Technology in there hands.

"Peer Pressure" when we were kids is a different level to what they have now.

There is no going back ...

Put perfectly ..

On Children
Kahlil Gibran

Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them,
but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

You are the bows from which your children
as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,
and He bends you with His might
that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
so He loves also the bow that is stable.

Read every line slowly and quietly .. They are the on the path of the infinite.

You did your best. I did too. There is nothing else to be done accept being the best "friend" they ever have.

Dont judge them .. the children .. be the best friend you can.. Dont judge them !

They are going to screw up as much as we did when we were kids ( you know what I am talking about ).. possibly less if you put your Kid hats on .. mebbe more because of more opportunity. to socialize in cyberspace.

Just be her Friend AGAPE .. there is no judgement .. and only love and Trust.

True trust..No reservations. No Judgement.. Be her Best Friend.

The person I call my brother is the one that watches my back.

Good luck.

JG.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog
Ok, heres what prompted this post.
Tonight, she wanted to go to some thing downtown, with a 17 year old girl, that ive only met 3 times and have determined that she cant drive worth a damn.
I didnt think it was a good idea and she proceeded to throw up the excuses that I never let her do anything and she literally cried for about 3 hours.. nothing i could say or do would stop it, she even told me that she hated me.

A good cry never hurt any girl.
Don't let her tears sway you to let her do things that may not be good for her. Someday she will appreciate what you are doing to keep her safe. Until then, stay strong, have courage, and let her know you love her.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by jaduguru

One can not be a child's best friend and be a parent too. It doesn't work that way.
Without the use of judgement errors occur and when errors occur lives are ruined.

Punishment does not always mean spanking. My daughter spent a lot of time in the corner during her tween years and I had no trouble from her during her teen years. She's now a grown woman, married and with two children of her own. We have a good relationship because now that she is an adult I do not judge her decisions as I did when she was a child. I trust that I raised her to make wise decisions.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog
Im a single dad. I wont go through the details, unless you ask but my son has been with me for the past 12 years.
My ex has legal custody of my daughter and she lived with her, primarily until around age 12.
At about that time, she started to ask to live with us but she would only do it for about a year, then go back to her moms.
Anyway.. Shes been really getting bitchy lately, so I gave in a bit and allowed her to have something that I was apposed to but something that she wanted.
Now, anything that she wants and I dont let her do, she cries for, literally 3 hours and texts her mom and her friends about how mean I am.
Her mom and I really dont talk that much now and my mom is biased against my daughter in favor of my son.
I love her to death but damn, idk what the hell to do.

I have a 16 year old daughter. What you're going through is totally normal. 15 is the worst, though, so just be prepared!

She is testing you, and she'll push every button you have and then keep pushing. She probably learned that all she has to do is cry and Mom lets her get her way. Girls that age are drama queens--everything seems like the end of the world to them. The raging hormones don't help. They want so badly to be adults and to be treated like adults, but they don't yet quite understand what that means. Set limits and stick to them. If she wants to cry in her room for 3 hours, let her, and ignore her completely. DO NOT give in. You're doing what you think is best, and don't ever apologize for that.

Oh, and I'd take the cell phone away, too. Does she really need one?

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1PLA1
reply to post by jaduguru

One can not be a child's best friend and be a parent too. It doesn't work that way.

Bingo. When she's 18 you can be best buds. Until then, you're the parent and she's the child.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join